E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Differences of 07,08,09,10,11 BMW 335i + i-drive?

06-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
ucosta
Unique
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Differences of 07,08,09,10,11 BMW 335i + i-drive?

Hello Bimmers,

Can anyone tell me what are the differences of a 07 bmw 335i and 08, 09, 10, and 11 models?

I also would like to know about i-drive? If i buy a bmw 07 335i with navigation, will it come with i-drive or not? How can i get? And what is really i-drive about?

Thank you for attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Basically it comes down to this.

1. All idrive equipped cars come with navi. You can't get I drive and no navi in a 3 series, the same goes the other way around.
2. -07 and -08 navi is garbage, just save your money and forget the idrive / navi.
3. -09 and up cars have awesome navis so then it is worthwhile to get I-drive.
4. There are virtually no differences between '09 and up navis (at least none worth mentioning or the money) other than a few features added here and there such as BMW Apps.
5. Bmw apps is available in mid -11 and up models.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
let me clear this up a little bit more.

Idrive IS navigation. Its just bmw's "brand" of navi you could say. but iDrive is literally the navigation system as well as incorperating other control functions for the car --> climate control, communications control (bluetooth/sync), entertainment control (cd/mp3/satradio/am-fm), and navigation control.

I hope this also helped you with grasping the actual concept of what idrive is, rather than the differences.

Another note you may want to know as posted above, 09 and up navigation systems are the updated ones with the new GUI which is much easier to use. 06/07/08 3 series cars have a pretty laggy idrive system which requires the navigation DVD be in its seperate dvd drive at all times when accessing navigation data. 09 and up models have their own hard drive built in the car, and is a million times less laggy. infact, i have not really ever noticed lag in my 2011 m3's iDrive system.

my 2006 325xi has the worst navi ever, I was so enraged because it took me so long to really feel comfortable with it. If it takes me a few weeks to get used to it, then i can see how it would take some people months or some people could never like it. but ive gotten used to it.

Hope I have helped you and given you the answer you wanted. good luck with your purchase
      06-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
ucosta
Unique
Rep

Thank you for your answers but i am still in doubt. So if i buy a 07 bmw 3 series that comes with navigation i have to buy this option "i-drive" or having a 07 bmw 3 series with navigation means that i have i-drive in it? Is there anyway that the i-drive from an 07 could be update to the 2011 version?
I'm asking all this because soon i will buy an 07 bmw either 335i or the 328 and i saw this video on youtube showing that the navigation shows the information levels of brake pads, oil, and other fluids, which i think it's pretty legit. Other navigations do not really do that, at least that i am aware of.
Is the main difference of a 335i and 328i the looks and the power or there's anything else?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikacosta@yahoo.com View Post
Thank you for your answers but i am still in doubt. So if i buy a 07 bmw 3 series that comes with navigation i have to buy this option "i-drive" or having a 07 bmw 3 series with navigation means that i have i-drive in it? Is there anyway that the i-drive from an 07 could be update to the 2011 version?
I'm asking all this because soon i will buy an 07 bmw either 335i or the 328 and i saw this video on youtube showing that the navigation shows the information levels of brake pads, oil, and other fluids, which i think it's pretty legit. Other navigations do not really do that, at least that i am aware of.
Is the main difference of a 335i and 328i the looks and the power or there's anything else?
Ok lets try this again. Everything i have underlined and bolded is included in all versions of iDrive. I beleive there are ways to have your iDrive programmed with updates but I dont think its possible to have it convert to the iDrive system in the newer 09+ models. The upgrades in programming would be mainly with the user interface of the map and making the navigation part easier to maneuver.

But it is impossible to get a built in navigation without iDrive, it does not exist. iDrive is the navigation system that is integrated into the car. The optional navigation for 200 is a garmin or tom tom kind of thing, attaches to the windshield. so any bmw with navigation will have iDrive.

Not really any other differences aside from the fact that the 325/328 is more reliable than the 335i.

are we clear now?
      06-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
ucosta
Unique
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
Ok lets try this again. Everything i have underlined and bolded is included in all versions of iDrive. I beleive there are ways to have your iDrive programmed with updates but I dont think its possible to have it convert to the iDrive system in the newer 09+ models. The upgrades in programming would be mainly with the user interface of the map and making the navigation part easier to maneuver.

But it is impossible to get a built in navigation without iDrive, it does not exist. iDrive is the navigation system that is integrated into the car. The optional navigation for 200 is a garmin or tom tom kind of thing, attaches to the windshield. so any bmw with navigation will have iDrive.

Not really any other differences aside from the fact that the 325/328 is more reliable than the 335i.

are we clear now?
Very clear now... I used to have a sports car, drifting and drag racing. Now i want to grow and ride like a man. I want to have a good car with good reputation, that feels great, has nice design and nice options such as one of these bmw 3 series coupe. I want more power as well. The 335i is powerful enough but i'm looking for those features that is going to bring me tickets certainly and i do not want problems. In addition i want to save more gas. i think the performance from the 328i is ok.
Do you think i should just go ahead and get a 328i instead of the 335i? I like the dual exhaust and the seats from the 335i though :S.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
chucktang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikacosta@yahoo.com View Post
Very clear now... I used to have a sports car, drifting and drag racing. Now i want to grow and ride like a man. I want to have a good car with good reputation, that feels great, has nice design and nice options such as one of these bmw 3 series coupe. I want more power as well. The 335i is powerful enough but i'm looking for those features that is going to bring me tickets certainly and i do not want problems. In addition i want to save more gas. i think the performance from the 328i is ok.
Do you think i should just go ahead and get a 328i instead of the 335i? I like the dual exhaust and the seats from the 335i though :S.
the seats in the 328 are the same as the 335... the difference comes from the sports package. You can get the sports package in the 328, and that gives you the same seats as the sports package in the 335.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
fl0wmastr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i Coupe w M Sport Kit

Garage List
07 BMW 335i  [10.00]
thanks for this thread! what is included w/ the sports package? how can you tell if the seats are sports package seats or not?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0wmastr
thanks for this thread! what is included w/ the sports package? how can you tell if the seats are sports package seats or not?
I'm trying hard not to call "troll" on you, so next time "search."

Sport = larger bolsters and thigh support
Regular = comfy but lack the above
Appreciate 0