F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Disappearing stem caps
GetBMWParts

04-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Disappearing stem caps

A few months back my partner noticed a stem cap missing from my X1. Shortly thereafter I was at a dealer where I saw they were selling stem caps for 16.95 - each! (I remember once my Lexus IS lost a stem cap and I just asked at service if they had an extra and they put one on gratis.) Anyway, with the X1 I posted about the missing stem cap and someone shared an Ebay link, so I bought a small bag of 4-5 plastic caps. Put one on and then stuffed the remaining caps inside the glovebox. At least, that's what I would swear I did.

Because Saturday my partner noticed again that a stem cap was missing. I grimaced and then thought, "Well, guess that's why I bought a few extra." And I went to my glovebox - no bag of extras. I then proceeded to search everywhere else they might be, and they haven't shown up.

DELETED REST AFTER FINDING BAG! SEE BELOW

Last edited by mullini; 04-01-2014 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Your partner is messing with you.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Your partner is messing with you.
Ha ha no, I rival Mr. Magoo for eyesight.

Anyway, after writing that message and including a section I've since deleted about my suspicions (unfounded) about what might have happened, I went to the parking garage here at work and did one more search.

This time instead of searching the glovebox from the driver's seat, I happened to go in through the passenger side. And while there was still no bag in the glovebox proper, this time I noticed that in the space NEXT to the glovebox, I could spot some plastic. And sure enough, somehow the bag had gotten lodged in that tight little space.

So I found the little bag of extra caps. However, in checking all the other caps, they were all loose to at least a slight degree. So I tightened them all and reminded myself to do that once in a while. Along with cheeking the pressure, of course, which I admit to being lazy about...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Nice, mystery solved!

Appreciate 0