E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > My experience with Sonic Tuning

02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

My experience with Sonic Tuning

A little background information before I proceed with my review;

I've own my Bimmer for about 2 years to-date but it wasn't until the second half of my ownership that I actually sat down to compose and organize a list of mods. While saving up for small mods, obtaining a CSL trunk has been one of the excruciating task for me as the ones that I wanted were no longer in production.

The wait:

Constantly lurking the marketplace, I stumbled across Sonic Tunings' group buy for the CSL trunk and immediately attempted to submit the deposit which unfortunately took longer than usual due to my bank's policies and such but Pat was extremely understanding and helpful. With the deposit sent, we were given a waiting period of 60-75 days (iirc) for our trunks to be made. Painstakingly waiting, I was relieved whenever we were notified about the status of our orders. Trunks arrived at ST's warehouse mid-January where they were sent out to the buyers via preferred shipping method. My trunk arrived less than a week later.

The product:

As a whole, the trunk fits very well with the trunk/body of my sedan so fitment wasn't an issue there. However, I found the cf thicker in some areas than others so it'll requiring trimming of the trunk which I was already expecting. I was able to mount the trunk as-is but the taillights wouldn't sit flush, weather stripping had to be removed to close it properly as the trunk latch would be a couple millimeters short from locking due to the uneven thickness of the trunk. Other trimming included trimming the trunk release button, LP lights and key hole. However, what I was disappointed with was the fact that during the creation of the trunk, the cf wasn't "crafted" (lack of a better word) properly so under the clear remained a carbon fiber "bubble" that's no larger than a nickel in diameter. Another reason that I'm not absolutely in-love with the trunk was because I was expecting something with a higher kick so it's a matter of personal preference rather than it being the vendor's fault.

Will update with picture if necessary.

My resolution:

I took it to a local shop to have them fit the trunk properly with little to no problems at all with the bubble being the biggest flaw I can find. I did however opt to keep my trunk unpainted until I can decide what I want to do with my investment. Even with the bubble, Ray has given me alternatives and have reached a mutual agreement since then.

Overall experience:

It was a very long process which was made simple through Pat, Ray and everyone at Sonic Tuning. With business in mind, I'm aware that not everything will go according to plan but in the event that something does happen, I'm hoping that whoever I'm dealing with will treat me in the same manner as the guys over at Sonic Tuning.

Thanks for everything!

Pictures and transaction timeline can be posted as well as other info at members' request.