F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 320D "Click" or "Castanet" Engine Noise
Studio RSR

07-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
aowyam
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D (2010) auto sedan

320D "Click" or "Castanet" Engine Noise

Discussion moved to another part of forum
Please reply to

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562603

+++++++++++++

Hello everyone
First time poster but I've been using the forum for a while to pick up tips before my purchase and for car detailing advice - good productive discussions out there.

I've had a BMW 320D 2010 model (Australia) for about 9 months now with 7000 km and the other day I noticed a click from the engine. It almost sounds like castanets.

The best way to provoke the sound is to:
1) have a cold engine and start it in the morning and it will have one 'click'
2) Back the car out the garage and put the car into park
3) Then I will get about 5 clicks at approximately equal time intervals and then it will stop. I don't get the noise if I drive the car for about 25km/30 minutes
4) Car is otherwise working well and I can't hear the noise if the windows are wound up

5) Video of the sound is below. Actually bit harder to hear the noise if the bonnet is open with the sound of the regular engine noise
6) It has been raining continuously for the last 5-6 days and the temperatures do drop to 8-11 degrees celcius but would have thought if this was a temperature or moisture related issue then our northern hemisphere owners would have noticed it more

The video below is after backing the car out of the garage

This is a video 3 hours later when I started the car up in the garage and I opened up the bonnet. I think the sound is coming from under the engine cover

I'm going to get the car looked into but was wondering if anyone has this problem and could enlighten me. I couldn't find anything similar that has already been posted

Last edited by aowyam; 07-23-2011 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: Added another video/ Moved discussion to another thread
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
john9
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

I thought you did a great job!

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
aowyam
Rep

Thank goodness for mobile phones with recording ability. Makes life easier when you want to show things to mechanics especially since the gremlins tend to disappear when you want to demonstrate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
aowyam
Rep

Hello

I thought I should move my discussion to another part of the forum board which seems to have more on the topic of engine noise
Please post all new replies to

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562603
Appreciate 0