E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Polyurethane LIP for LCI MTECH E90

09-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #23
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Good stuff Franki.

I thought LTBMW stopped selling these lips a while ago. They had a for sale thread in the vendor section, but it dried up. If you go to their open house hit up Long for some info and report back - I can't get them to respond to PM's, e-mail or answer their phones. I got my new replacement FRP CF lip today, but something tells me I may need to replace it again, but if I do it iwll be with a poly version (if available). Thanks
kk i will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibo View Post
Thanks for letting us know. I have the FRP Exotics Tuning one and its been cracking all over the place from the weather here in MA. Will get one of these when it's officially released for us.
- i guess bruce li got one, i'll ask Long tomorrow at the
meet see if it's released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce li View Post
I just picked one up today from LTBMW. Unfortunately for me I had a horrible time trying to install this, lol. Maybe I'll try again or just have LTBMW do it. price was $400

- oh what, Long had another one?
i guess he's got a hold of more.

- tell me you've install lips before, if not - have LTBMW install for you.

it should be all 8mm screws on the bottom of the front bumper /
double sided tape on the inside top of the lip, all the way across
the top (1 piece). peel just a bit off the edges, to get it started.
wipe down lower mtech bumper - get it clean so the 3m tape
sticks well. Warm weather is perfect for the 3m to adhere.

screw on the furthest 8mm on the driver side and the passenger side bottom.
adjust lip to the mtech mouth, remove double side tape completely, once fitment is clean, screw in rest of the 8mm from the bottom. let the 3m
double sided tape sit in the sun.

i should do a diy.
      09-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce li View Post
I just picked one up today from LTBMW. Unfortunately for me I had a horrible time trying to install this, lol. Maybe I'll try again or just have LTBMW do it. price was $400
Good news, to bad I just bought a replacement FRP version in CF. It will probably break soon enough.

I installed my 2nd replacement lip last night in 40 min so I'm becomeing a pro now after installing two within the last 30 days. It helps if you have a jack stand and drill driver so you can more easily access the underside.

Here is how I installed mine.

Apply the 3M double sided tape along the top edge - leave one side of the tape cover on. Pull the cover back at the leading edge just enough so that you can pull it over the top of the lip so that you can grab it later after the lip is mounted up to the bumper.

Jack one side of your car up enough so you can get your drill under there.

Get yourself some masking tape. Hold the lip to the bumper and get it aligned. Use the masking tape to hold the lip up.

Using one of the self tapping screws screw it in ithe center of the lip towards the backside of the lip. I used 5 of these all along the back-side edge. Work your way from center to the edge insalling one in between the center screw and outter edge, then one right at the outter edge.

(I purchased some long versions of these screws along with 3 2 1/2" washers from Home Depot to install more towards the front of the lip to add support to the front so it doesn't sag at all.)

In front of of the first center screw you installed more towards the front of your lip and under the bumper grill mesh, drill in one 1 5/8" self tapping screw with a 2 1/2" washer. Make sure you are not to far foward and that the screw is actually going to go into the leading edge of the bumper. (I installed 3 of these longer screws/washers - 1 in the middle and one each side under the fog lights - again all inserted towards the front/leading edge of the lip).

Now repeat on the other side jacking up the other side of the car.

It is beneficial as you insert the screws along the outside of the lip esp those 1 5/8" self tapping screws and washers that you apply firm pressure to the lip making sure it is tight up against the bumper and lined up properly. Once you drill those screws in it will hold everything in place.

Now you're ready to remove the tape cover. Pull the exposed peeled edge of the double sided tape and continueing pull it off the entire run of the tape. It will come right off. Once removed apply some pressure to help form the bond and reapply the masking tape to keep preassure on it for 15 min or so.

Don't get discouraged, if it makes you feel better I had to remove the lip and all screws once and do it all over again in order to get a snug fit -- I can't stand gaps or if it's not perfectly centered.

Good luck.

Last edited by cssnms; 09-15-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #25
Bruce li
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 lci

Thanks guys I'm going to give it another shot. Didn't want to show up to the meet without it!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

PM me if you want to get one for yourself, I have this lip laying around at my house
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #27
Rbaksi
Registered
Rep
Drives: Infiniti I35

That lip looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #28
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
PM me if you want to get one for yourself, I have this lip laying around at my house
Sent you a pm on the lip!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #29
Vollkommen-Design
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

GB!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954285
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #30
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

I had a really tough time trying to install this lip as well, contacted Vollkemmen and no answer on the phone, sent an email also hopefully i get a reply back. When the shop was trying to make it sit there was a gap in the middle and the bumper kept dipping in. Also when applying double sided tape it kept peeling off with no force applied at all, we sanded the contact zones down on the lip and still no improvement. I really want this lip to fit my bumper so if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it before it gets returned.

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Black Chrome Varrstoen ES2|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #31
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
I had a really tough time trying to install this lip as well, contacted Vollkemmen and no answer on the phone, sent an email also hopefully i get a reply back. When the shop was trying to make it sit there was a gap in the middle and the bumper kept dipping in. Also when applying double sided tape it kept peeling off with no force applied at all, we sanded the contact zones down on the lip and still no improvement. I really want this lip to fit my bumper so if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it before it gets returned.
This is how I did it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068850
Appreciate 0