BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
LAZ
OneThirty5Eye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Meth Pros/Cons

I am debating whether or not to install a meth kit into my vehicle....I dont have experience with meth and was wondering what the possible side effects are...

besides the obvious benefit of substancial HP gain and cooling abilities...
is meth actually "better" for the engine??
or will it cause gaskets to blow, oil leaks to arise, and more wear in my motor due to the increase in HP?

I would like to hear from those who have had meth...does anyone regret making the mod? too much upkeep/repairs/issues??

Last edited by LAZ; 12-18-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

I do not think there are any CONS...but I am not the man when it comes to cars. I am very careful and do overkill research before doing anything to my car. There are several things that come into play with meth injection. The best I found that explains meth injection is this video:

If not I would be typing forever. I spoke to 3 friends who have 1 series and have meth, two of them for at least 3-4 years and no damage at all. I am going to purchase my meth here soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Whiskeyjack00
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135I

Any increase in horsepower leads to more wear... So you can't specifically blame the meth for that. However, keeping your AIr/fuel ratio down is beneficial to the reliability of your engine.

Should probably look into some engine management mods as well.

I had a meth kit on my last car. I had some issues with the reservoir leaking but that's an install issue. Also, if you're running a more aggressive tune, make sure not to run out of meth when your pushing the motor
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Do you plan on doing any other mods on the car? What do you have on the car right now? If your car is completely stock I would not go the meth route. Most cars running meth (like me) are full bolt ons (FBO) and helps to run meth to maintain the intake temps lower for better combustion (last I remember).

I run it on the track alot and it makes a pronounced difference as I do my runs. So far, I haven't had any issues at all related to running meth, but i don't run it while daily driving.
      12-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
LAZ
OneThirty5Eye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Do you plan on doing any other mods on the car? What do you have on the car right now? If your car is completely stock I would not go the meth route. Most cars running meth (like me) are full bolt ons (FBO) and helps to run meth to maintain the intake temps lower for better combustion (last I remember).

I run it on the track alot and it makes a pronounced difference as I do my runs. So far, I haven't had any issues at all related to running meth, but i don't run it while daily driving.
All i have is JB4...everything else is stock. Can it cause issues to run meth without having full bolt ons first?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
All i have is JB4...everything else is stock. Can it cause issues to run meth without having full bolt ons first?

I don't think it would be "bad" for your motor, but having more mods increases the benefit that Meth provides, AFAIK.

Meth is awesome. I'm a meth head myself lol. Love the additional boost that comes when it starts flowing and the additive comes into play. Like a second wind!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
The main negative issues with meth are it's corrosive and flammability issues. Other than performance benefits the main positive is it's use helps keep valves, etc clean.

Just spraying meth helps performance moderately (10ish hp). To really make big gains the timing, etc needs to be advanced with the spray. That's what makes it dangerous. You setup the engine to require meth, but then if something happens to the flow you would be in trouble. In our case, it can be much safer since we can use piggyback tunes which can make these timing advances while control/sensing meth flow.

So if you are using a piggyback and don't mind having to fill a separate meth tank and you need more hp, meth might be for you. I had FBO's before I got around to meth. I went as far as buying a meth and piggyback system but just the piggyback gave me enough Hp so I decided to got with a flash tune.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The only real downsides i cant think of are potential leaks and fire, which can be dealt with by not running super aggressive mixes. If it isnt properly managed youre in trouble if it seizes or gets a clog in the line, but thats more about the install than the product. More hp, lower temps, cleaner burn..more hp. I wants it....but its not a willy nilly mod, i wouldnt touch it with just jb4.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII

Last edited by 135Pats; 12-17-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Rowdy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

A water/meth setup is always a good idea on forcefed cars. You are increasing the resistance to knock and detonation while simultaneously lowering the charge temperature. this helps lower cylinder combustion temperatures and pressures. Some use it as a safeguard against bad gas (I've cooked a piston with a rotten batch and some detonation on my 'other' car) or so they can run a lower octane (or are forced to in the county or city) safely. As an example, with my cooper, I had some 92 octane high boost tunes and in certain areas could only get 91 octane fuel. Not an issue with a water meth setup! Thankfully Chevron here in town carries 94, albeit at a premium. Running water meth injection on our vehicles is in no way detrimental.

There are a few downsides to running a water meth setup. They are mostly cost based. The purchase of and install if you're not well equipped to do it yourself can cost a penny! There are many setups, from mild to wild and the costs can vary. I'm a HUGE fan of the aquamist setups. I've run both the HFS-3 and -4. While they are on the high side price wise, they're brilliant. My other boosted beast has the AEM setup and it is bare bones and primitive in comparison. Albeit much less expensive. Then, there is a cost associated with keeping the mix in the water/meth tank full. Its not anything ridiculous, but it is a constant! just like filling the gas tank

Some other issues are space. You now have to run a rather large pump and tank somewhere in the car. Some people dont want to lose any more trunk space etc.

Anyone that tells you there is going to be wear concerns or leaky gaskets is incredibly misinformed and outdated. Where in the system, does the meth make contact with anything? Other than in the intake manifold and cylinders? They're designed for it and todays ethanol blended fuels! As for volatility.. Most mixes that the average person will run are 50/50 or less and not a HUGE concern, sure if you're going to run 100% it might be best to be a bit more cautious..
Appreciate 0