BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

04-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #23
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Most all BMWs and other car/truck with disc brakes has the ebrake in the rotor hat.
Not my 2007 A4. After failing to find a good How-To on rear pad swap, I made my own:

B7 A4 Rear Brake Pad Swap How-To
You can clearly see the ebrake cable. Just look for the spring. Also, not a drum in sight.

Looking for that, I came across one of the few photoshoots I did. Damn, I miss it already!

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #24
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Boston has the worst roads I've seen in the USA.
Wow. Well, I think it depends on exactly where. On the whole, I can't imagine we're as bad as Detroit, for instance. If the car I get has 19"s, I might sell them and replace with 18"s.

Quote:
First upgrade? Brakes brakes brakes.
yup. Brakes and harnesses are at the top of my list. I plan to do some research, but any quick pointers to share about either?

Should I plan on using a HANS device?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
If you are only doing 5 events per year, I would simply stick with factory suspension.
+1 Stock suspension is plenty good for track use.

Quote:
Boston has the worst roads I've seen in the USA. EDC or no? To be honest I've driven countless M3s and on the track it won't even matter that much. EDC might have better resale value though.
Boston might be the worst in USA. Québec is the worst in North America.
Would not go without EDC up here.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #26
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
Not my 2007 A4.
Alright, not the Audi but their "weird" anyway.

Quote:
yup. Brakes and harnesses are at the top of my list. I plan to do some research, but any quick pointers to share about either?

Should I plan on using a HANS device?
Brakes- I hear a lot of good things about Performance Friction 01 and 08 compound. I've been running Hawk HT-10's for years and plan to try out the PFC pads later this month.

I wouldn't use a HANS without a proper harness and fixed back seat. I wouldn't use a harness without a proper fixed back seat and roll bar. These things are all dependent on each other and work as a "system". The HANS is designed to save your neck when you're strapped into a car without an "release" for energy like a 3 point or a Schroth ASM.
      04-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I have used the PF 01 for the last year and a half, no problems. I recall several post about bad experiences with Hawks, but I have not used them on the M3. I do use them (H10) on my 525 and found them to be exceptional.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
I have used the PF 01 for the last year and a half, no problems. I recall several post about bad experiences with Hawks, but I have not used them on the M3. I do use them (H10) on my 525 and found them to be exceptional.
vz
Do you also run your PF01 and HT10 on the street?

If so, how are they in terms of noise and disc wear on the street?

I've been using the old el-cheepo Hawk HP+. OK for the tracks I am running (Tremblant + Calabogie). But very noisy for street use.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #29
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
I have pf01 for my PFC BBK and those things are loud! It actually hurts my eardrums when I'm braking on the street. I would not recommend using them for DD at all! Performance wise, they are great. I switch out from the Z compound to the pf01s just before I head out to the track and then switch them back to the Z pads as soon as I get home.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Oh and disc wear is good on the track, the pads themselves seem like they'll last through 3-5 more weekends. From what I've read, they'll eat the rotors on the street though.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #31
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

[RANT]

If you are using race pads on the street, you are compromising your braking performance as the compounds are not designed to work at regular DD temperatures. I always worry about people thinking that using race pads on the street is "aggressive", whatever that actually means. It seems to intimate mad driving skillz or whatever, when actually, they are potentially making their car perform worse.

It is the opposite of using street pads on the track.

I suspect that hybrid pads are the same as all-season tires...okay, but not really good at anything!

[/RANT]

Please continue...
      04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #32
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
[RANT]

I suspect that hybrid pads are the same as all-season tires...okay, but not really good at anything!

[/RANT]

Please continue...
this statement is incorrect. an all season tire does lose in winter to a true snow tire and to a summer tire in the dry. but a set of hybrid pads will outperform OEM or similar on the street and track. the hybrid pads, say my ds250s, work very well at lower temps used on the street and work even better once heated at the track. they also arent too bad on rotors. the trade off really is a nonissue.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #33
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
the trade off really is a nonissue.
I agree. My PF01s stay on for the entire season, changed in November and not returned until mid Feb, or later. Now, in fairness, my M3 does not see all that much street use, as my truck is my DD.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

i doubt i would even bother changing out just for nov to feb. just drive it less. i do have a new set of stock pads not sure what im gonna do with em. i use my X5 for the winter stuff anyways.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #35
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
[RANT]

If you are using race pads on the street, you are compromising your braking performance as the compounds are not designed to work at regular DD temperatures. I always worry about people thinking that using race pads on the street is "aggressive", whatever that actually means. It seems to intimate mad driving skillz or whatever, when actually, they are potentially making their car perform worse.

It is the opposite of using street pads on the track.

[/RANT]

Please continue...
If it were black or white, your concern would be appropriate. However there are as many pad compounds as there are shades of grey. Everything is a compromise of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #36
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Another option is to get a Ground Control kit, which uses EDC.

EDC is ok initially, but you'll soon want something better - either a full coilover kit (KW CS, Moton, JRZ, etc) or Ground Control kit (see the following thread):

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385429
coilover kit like KW come with EDC/NONE EDC option

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #37
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
coilover kit like KW come with EDC/NONE EDC option
yes its a module to prevent you from getting codes with the coilover not a way to have edc with the coilovers. you have to use the manual knobs to adjust the compression and rebound of the new suspension.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #38
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
yes its a module to prevent you from getting codes with the coilover not a way to have edc with the coilovers. you have to use the manual knobs to adjust the compression and rebound of the new suspension.
I Just learned that! So basically EDC car can get none EDC kit, and should not have any problem? except the code,which can be cleared use a code reader.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I would try to find some manual cloth seats...they are better than the leather seats but you'll still want harnesses.

I like the stock non-EDC suspension, just needs front camber plates so you don't tear through tires. I'm actually debating putting in the Dinan Stage I that I have in my garage.

Brakes? I just bled the lines and swapped in some PF01s. I'm now SURE I will go with a BBK if for no other reason, pad changes are x1000 times easier that fiddling with retainer clips, calipers, and lining up guide pins. Maybe I've been spoiled by the stoptech BBK on my 330 but the OEM brakes, even with PF01s, don't inspire confidence. I like to have confidence in my brakes.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #40
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I would try to find some manual cloth seats...they are better than the leather seats but you'll still want harnesses.
How are they better? What kind of harness can you run with the OE seats?

Quote:
I like the stock non-EDC suspension
it's better than EDC? On track or street?

Quote:
the OEM brakes, even with PF01s, don't inspire confidence. I like to have confidence in my brakes.
How are they lacking? Wouldn't the whole vacuum/assist thing affect you just as much with BBK? Or has someone solved that?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #41
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it's better than EDC? On track or street?
IMO, EDC is better for track and street. It is actually one the best improvments I found over my E46. Our steets are pretty bad up here, and EDC in comfort makes the car much more enjoyable as a DD. At the track, the dynamic aspect of EDC brings additional control to the suspension. If you plan in going with a coil over, forget about EDC, it will be a waste of money. But the stock suspension is plenty good for the track .

Another element you should consider for your M3, is getting the seats with adjustable side bolsters. You can deflate the lumbar support and tighten the side bolsters at the track, the seat will hold in place pretty good. I did not have them in my E46 and I would slide around a lot more in my seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #42
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
I Just learned that! So basically EDC car can get none EDC kit, and should not have any problem? except the code,which can be cleared use a code reader.
not exactly. no aftermarket coilover continues to use edc. a coilover that is compatable with edc just includes a module to clear the code not make edc work. a non edc car doesnt need this module so it comes without it, hence the 2 different kits. one for edc equiped cars and one for non edc. both cars will just be adjustable on the body of the coilover after the conversion and not use edc at all. the button wont work.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #43
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
How are they better? What kind of harness can you run with the OE seats?
The manual cloth seats will hold you a little better and give you more headroom. I'm about to install some Schroth Ralleye4's...although there is some debate about them (seat back angle???), I'm a safer driver by being held in place better.

Just came back from the track in my E90 and the side bolster was digging into my left side all weekend from trying to keep myself in the seat.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #44
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
The manual cloth seats will hold you a little better and give you more headroom. I'm about to install some Schroth Ralleye4's...although there is some debate about them (seat back angle???), I'm a safer driver by being held in place better.

Just came back from the track in my E90 and the side bolster was digging into my left side all weekend from trying to keep myself in the seat.
I heard so many horror stories about 4 point harnesses, I feel safer using my OEM 3 point even if I move around more. Since going to a 5 point requires changing the seat, that is out of the question for me.
Appreciate 0