F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > How long did your order take?
ARMA SPEED

01-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
howtobeastitup96
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

How long did your order take?

Hey guys this is just a quick question, I ordered my car I'd say 3-4 weeks ago. Its a January production date and whenever I check the vehicle production status it still says scheduled for production with no confirmed production date. The dealer quoted 8 weeks but I don't see that happening. I live in South Florida, how long did your orders take?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
AZBMR
Rep
Drives: 2017 m3 zcp

Depends where your vehicle is being built. I have an SA build ordered Oct 20th and still waiting. ETA on delivery is mid Feb and I was told 8 to 10 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

10 weeks here! I'm in Orlando.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Ask dealer to provide your production week. CA can get it by looking up your production number in their BMW DCSnet system. Also ask them to send you the vehicle inquiry report which will show all options ordered for your production #.

If car is scheduled to be assembled in Germany expect to take delivery about 4-5 weeks after production completes. If SA build, delivery could be 8-10 weeks after production ends.

Which dealer did you purchase from?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport - 6MT - GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by howtobeastitup96 View Post
Hey guys this is just a quick question, I ordered my car I'd say 3-4 weeks ago. Its a January production date and whenever I check the vehicle production status it still says scheduled for production with no confirmed production date. The dealer quoted 8 weeks but I don't see that happening. I live in South Florida, how long did your orders take?
I had a early January build and the car is finished and waiting to be shipped. It's been done since January 9th. Germany build

Last edited by SwnSng; 01-14-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

It took 6 weeks for Philadelphia order for me. Check the order status through BMW NA. You can search for the phone number and you'll need your production order number.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

I ordered oct 24th, blasted ship is still taking a stroll around European waters. Probably going to get here mid Feb. So thats.... 15 weeks? was quoted 8-10. oh yea.. and SA build.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
steveL77
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

I ordered on like November 1st...Took delivery in New York on December 19th. So about 6 weeks. Felt like 6 years though.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by howtobeastitup96 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the month, but I've been stuck in "scheduled but not confirmed" for two weeks. According to the dealer I was part of an already allocated build that is scheduled for this week. It made sense because my production number originally had a different color car on bmwusa.com. That updated last week. I guess they are running behind??

Just curious, what did you order? Estoril 328 msport 6MT here.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
I just ordered mine from a local dealer last Saturday (Jan 12,2013)...
when did you get your production number(or vin number)?
the dealer didn't give me anything...they said there's no production or VIN number until the car goes into production...

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
I just ordered mine from a local dealer last Saturday (Jan 12,2013)...
when did you get your production number(or vin number)?
the dealer didn't give me anything...they said there's no production or VIN number until the car goes into production...
I think there's a production number if there's already an allocation. i.e. The dealer was already planning on adding a car to their inventory. Until it actually goes into production they can make changes to their order, so a "custom" order is just a modification of one that is already in the system. Case in point, when I got my production number from the deailer (day of my "order"), it showed up in bmwusa as a black car. It since changed to Estoril, which is what I ordered. Also, I was able to make a change even when it was in "production scheduled but not confirmed" state.

From what I gather it's a little different if they don't already have an allocation.

I'm admittedly no expert, but this is what I've gathered through my process. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
bksting28
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB 328i Sport

11 Weeker

Ordered on October 31. Got production number instantly since they modified an existing allocation slot, but as Customer Sold status it was expedited into production on November 4th. Unfortunately it was a SA build, so it was on a boat by November 24, but took a month to get to Bremerhaven then two weeks to cross the Atlantic due to storms and then nearly got shut out of ports by potential longshoreman strike...managed to land at Brunswick port on January 7th. Took delivery on January 15th. 11 weeks total, quoted 6-8...but CA told me it would be built in Germany. But if they don't have allocation for German build, it's hard to wrangle that...gave me time to save more for my down payment so not all bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951 View Post
I think there's a production number if there's already an allocation. i.e. The dealer was already planning on adding a car to their inventory. Until it actually goes into production they can make changes to their order, so a "custom" order is just a modification of one that is already in the system. Case in point, when I got my production number from the deailer (day of my "order"), it showed up in bmwusa as a black car. It since changed to Estoril, which is what I ordered. Also, I was able to make a change even when it was in "production scheduled but not confirmed" state.

From what I gather it's a little different if they don't already have an allocation.

I'm admittedly no expert, but this is what I've gathered through my process. YMMV
Hm...the salesman told me they have an allocation for this model...I will check with them again.
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
Hm...the salesman told me they have an allocation for this model...I will check with them again.
Thanks!
If he really has an allocation, then he has a production number.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Ltd

Garage List
allocation/order?

I attempted to place an "order" for a 335i xdrive in December. I was told that maybe they could change their "allocation" to my specs... rather than do the custom order..? So, I placed a deposit on their allocation on around the 1st or the 2nd of Jan. They haven't provided me with any tracking info and are stating, and I quote:

"Here is the latest from BMW on 335's, they are on national constraint as they are focusing on 328's and the new 320. Allocations are very slim Nationally and will be for the very near furue. We have been told that some product should open up in the next 10 days. Since we have a sold order in then if any dealer that would get an allocation on a 335 and refuse it then it would go to us. Fingers crossed on that one. We have a call into our Rep. to see if he can help at all. I will keep you informed of any new info."

They have also promised to put me in a car as I am coming off a mercedes lease and will otherwise not be ambulatory. It seems that I may be waiting for some time. I guess I will llive. I am going to be somewhat miffed if I wait forever and then get stuck with an SA build. My config was 335i xdrive sport package alpine white with coral red interior, red w/ hi gloss blk trim, premium pkg, tech pkg, bu cam/ prk control, htd front seats, HK audio.

I don't really know what to think?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmel View Post
I don't really know what to think?
The email response you posted from your dealer lines up with the reality of the situation.

Your dealer will be more likely to get a South Africa build for a 335i. That is going to be a 10 week minimum arrival time from when it starts production. Just try to keep that in mind, as you obviously have a timeline restriction.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'll settle for it if I have to. I just feel that a certain portion of how I justify the price tag of my BMW was "German built". I think that everyone respects the German workers ability to produce a quality product and I am willing to pay for that. I can't justify paying that premium price tag for a car built in Africa. I would sooner have one assembled in Mexico or Canada with a matching price tag.

I hope that the SA build vehicles will maintain the reliability and quality that I have come to know, but I am not blind to the reality of it. I know how product outsourcing affected american automobiles in the late 80s and 90s and it wasn't for the better. Perhaps this will be my last BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll settle for it if I have to. I just feel that a certain portion of how I justify the price tag of my BMW was "German built". I think that everyone respects the German workers ability to produce a quality product and I am willing to pay for that. I can't justify paying that premium price tag for a car built in Africa. I would sooner have one assembled in Mexico or Canada with a matching price tag.

I hope that the SA build vehicles will maintain the reliability and quality that I have come to know, but I am not blind to the reality of it. I know how product outsourcing affected american automobiles in the late 80s and 90s and it wasn't for the better. Perhaps this will be my last BMW?
Having toured three BMW factories, I can tell you that they are all the same, from an assembly standpoint. Same robots, same procedures, etc. Yep, the workers speak difference languages.

BMW has been building cars in that South Africa plant for 40 years.

I've ordered two brand new BMWs, one from the Munich plant, one from Regensburg. From "initial quality" standpoint, the Munich plant seems to be a bit better (gaps, paint) than the one from Regensburg.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
ckimmel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
From "initial quality" standpoint, the Munich plant seems to be a bit better (gaps, paint) than the one from Regensburg.
Those are perfectly good indicators of a discrepancy to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are perfectly good indicators of a discrepancy to me.
My point was more that just because it's "German made" doesn't mean quality is perfect. In other words, a Rosslyn SA car could easily been better than my Regensberg, Germany car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645628
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
howtobeastitup96
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Update: Car is on its way to port in Belgium, car finished production on the 25th
Appreciate 0