E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Goodyear Asymmetric 2 review (19s)

09-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Adoc
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Thumbs up Goodyear Asymmetric 2 review (19s)

Hi all,

Just moved from Bridgestone run flats on 19" alloys to the recently launched Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 which was newly launched in May 2011. The Asymmetric 2 is only available as a non-run flat tyre. I thought I'd put up first impressions to help those deliberating the move to non-RFTs.

To put it in context, I've previously driven on 19" alloys on previous cars Continental Sport Contact 3 as well as Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's, to help you understand the reference points. The car is an e92 335d M Sport 2009, where the suspension is a little softer than my previous 2007 e92 330i M Sport.

Improvements
+ Comfort - far less jolt from cat-eyes. Catching a dip in the road can still of course be felt, but doesn't have the crash/bang of the run-flat. Still rides like a car on low-profile tyres of course. The ride was so much softer I had to check the pressures when I got home, wondering if the fitter had under-inflated them. Nope! they were running door-plaque pressures already
+ Tram-lining reduction - in the inside lane on motorways where the HGV's have worn ridges into the road, the car doesn't drift into the grooves like it did on the Bridgestones and feels much more planted
+ Noise - *vastly* reduced road noise
+ Grip - only tested in the dry so far, but under 'brisk' cornering, handles imperfections/ridges in the road much better and just clings on - v confidence inspiring, where the Bridgestones and the Dunlops had a tendency to skip or get the traction control light on.

A matter of taste
+ Steering bite: as per previous reviews on Continental Sport Contact 5P's, there is a slight loss of steering 'bite' when compared to the Bridgestone RFT's but with 19" alloys I've found this to be an improvement and makes the drive less fussy.

Overall
Vast improvement and no regrets at all, I wouldn't ever go back to Bridgestones. The ride is so much quieter and the car is now the right balance of handling finesse and day to day comfort. The best tyre I've driven on, bar nonr, (previously Conti SC3, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's, Dunlop Sport Maxx GT, Dunlop Sport Maxx, Bridgestone RE050 non-RFTs)

Hope that helps. Watch out though, the rear size of 255/30/R19 is hard to get hold of at the moment.

Event Tyres fitted them at the house and were awesome, definitely recommend.

Any questions, happy to help.

ADoc
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Team Green2
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
How much did they cost you if you dont mind me asking
      09-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Adoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Green2 View Post
How much did they cost you if you dont mind me asking
Not at all mate, £912 fitted, all-in with disposals too. I hunted high and low for the prices, calling all the companies who didn't list them on their sites too. Noone could touch them for fitted price.
http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

Camskill were cheapest for tyre only, but didn't include fitting and my work means I couldn't be in to wait for delivery.

Service was A1 from Event and the equipment used impressive - they carry inflatable air-bags to lift the car, rather than trolley jacks.

The vans are all company owned and drivers work for the company, not freelance / franchises, so they've got a strong incentive to look after your wheels. Even the little touches of using more discrete balancing weights too to keep your wheels looking good!

I contemplated switching down to 18" 313 Performance alloys and selling my 313m's. If it helps anyone else who's looking, the same set of tyres on 18" 255/35 XL and 225/40 XL set-up is around £650 so a big difference.

I just thought I'd go for the more incremental approach and try these out for 12-18 months, and then make the move if I still wanted more comfort.

Hope that helps folks,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoc View Post
Improvements
+ Comfort - far less jolt from cat-eyes. Catching a dip in the road can still of course be felt, but doesn't have the crash/bang of the run-flat. Still rides like a car on low-profile tyres of course. The ride was so much softer I had to check the pressures when I got home, wondering if the fitter had under-inflated them. Nope! they were running door-plaque pressures already

A matter of taste
+ Steering bite: as per previous reviews on Continental Sport Contact 5P's, there is a slight loss of steering 'bite' when compared to the Bridgestone RFT's but with 19" alloys I've found this to be an improvement and makes the drive less fussy.

Those two points above, you need to run non run flats at around 10-15% higher pressure than run flats.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Adoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Those two points above, you need to run non run flats at around 10-15% higher pressure than run flats.
Cheers for that gIzzE - much appreciated as wasn't aware.

Is the higher pressure to improve bite/turn-in? Reduce uneven wear? Or for optimal comfort?

Just interested to know whether it's a ride setup preference, or just a broader known issue with none-RFTs.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
good stuff....heard some good reviews about event tyres...will consider them when changing next year..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I run near to oem pressures on my non RFTs.
As do many.
A small degree of personal preference here.
Certainly no technical reason to run higher.
      09-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

thanks for info............... they are on my shortlist along with sessantas & 452's

Same position as op in that I have crappy bridgestone 19"RFT's but they are wearing very well in the middle but inner & outer wear is bothering me on the front & rears so when I put my winters alloys back on (Nokian wrg2's) in a few months the RE050's will be going, alloys re-done & new NON rft's tyres on ready for spring. The stupid thing is, is thet the RE050's are expensive considering the way they wear

Tempted to do it now just to get the bloody things off but only about 8 weeks to wait.

Looks like they do 255's then instead of 265's.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-2-is-here.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Adoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
I run near to oem pressures on my non RFTs.
As do many.
A small degree of personal preference here.
Certainly no technical reason to run higher.
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoc View Post
Cheers for that gIzzE - much appreciated as wasn't aware.

Is the higher pressure to improve bite/turn-in? Reduce uneven wear? Or for optimal comfort?

Just interested to know whether it's a ride setup preference, or just a broader known issue with none-RFTs.

Thanks,
Just a recommendation from Michelin and Pirelli, and if you look at the pressures on previous BMWs with the same size wheels they are always a little higher.
You have like 32-34psi on the E90 with run flats, and on the E46 it was 36-40psi.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Hey Adoc,

any chance you could confirm these are not Goodyear Asymmetric 2's ?

Ordered some from Camskills & I think they have sent the originals.

The yellow sticker says asymmetric 2 but the tyre & manufacturer sticker doesnt.

Please see pics
Attached Images

Last edited by jimmylad; 09-19-2011 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0