F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 328i vs 428i
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: Of the two cars, which sounds best?
F30 2012 328i 4 10.26%
F32 2012 428i 35 89.74%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

02-25-2014, 01:48 AM   #23
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
People keep confusing the 4 series press release which stated the body was stiffer than the 3 series, meaning the e92 it replaced, not the F30 3 series. The figure was 40 or 60% stiffer.
Is there any difference in chassis stiffness between F30 and F32?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:30 AM   #24
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Is there any difference in chassis stiffness between F30 and F32?
If it is stiffer, I am not aware that BMW have revealed by how much. As JV states, all references to increased stiffness are in relation to the outgoing E92 not the F30 (e.g. "the body's front end is 60 per cent more rigid than that of the outgoing BMW 3 Series Coupe").

However, the media pack does mention some changes, notably:

"The chassis construction of the new BMW 4 Series Coupe is based on that of the latest BMW 3 Series Sedan, although its springs and damping, axle kinematics and elastokinematics have all been tailored precisely to the hugely engaging character of the new Coupe. Indeed, the chassis engineers have managed to make further improvements to the agility and accuracy offered by the chassis, thanks to modification and fine-tuning of variables such as the camber angle, the track and the roll centre. Last but not least, special body strengthening elements in the front section of the car help to further enhance steering precision and feedback...

...Adjusting the position of the control arms in the swivel bearings from their arrangement on the latest BMW 3 Series Sedan gives the car a 19-millimetre lower roll centre, which has a positive effect on driving dynamics. An additional strut between the front axle subframe and body sill creates a stiffer overall connection between the front wheels and the cars main structure, so the transverse forces generated on entry into corners are transferred to the car more directly".
Appreciate 0