E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328i exhaust, intake manifold, airbox, questions

06-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
dgritti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i e90 jet black sedan

328i exhaust, intake manifold, airbox, questions

hey guys so heres the low down i have a 2008 328i e90 and im gonna start doing some mods to it.
so i was thinking bout grabbing a Euro airbox, 3 stage intake manifold, air scoops, and exhaust.
id like to know what yall think about that set up so far.
The one question i have is with all the intake stuff i dont know what kind of full exhaust system to run to get the most out the the car now im not a big fan of AA exhuast or the Bmw Pe just cuz the sound but as far as helping with performance i will revisit them.
i would like to know what some of you guys are running and what you think of running this kind of set and getting feed back. need to learn more about the e90 and how to get the most out of it (i dont wanna hear just Buy a 335 because i cant afford one right now).
Anyways let me know of what yall think i would much appreciate it guys thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgritti View Post
hey guys so heres the low down i have a 2008 328i e90 and im gonna start doing some mods to it.
so i was thinking bout grabbing a Euro airbox, 3 stage intake manifold, air scoops, and exhaust.
id like to know what yall think about that set up so far.
The one question i have is with all the intake stuff i dont know what kind of full exhaust system to run to get the most out the the car now im not a big fan of AA exhuast or the Bmw Pe just cuz the sound but as far as helping with performance i will revisit them.
i would like to know what some of you guys are running and what you think of running this kind of set and getting feed back. need to learn more about the e90 and how to get the most out of it (i dont wanna hear just Buy a 335 because i cant afford one right now).
Anyways let me know of what yall think i would much appreciate it guys thanks
I'm pretty sure with all that stuff you are looking at about 30 more hp. You definitely have to spend a lot of money for NA cars to get more power out of them. With those mods, I would think a tune would help make the most of them, so if you're going to do the intake/exhaust mod, a tune would definitely be worth while to maximize the new capabilities your engine will have with increase air flow and decreased back pressure.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Just go with a AA tune and the exhaust. You'll be ahead performance and money wise.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Intake mainfold without a tune is useless.
Intake box won't give you much of a HP gain; maybe like 2hp at the most.
BMW perf intake gives about 6hp at like 6K RPM.

If you want best gains possible then you need a tune, headers, intake manifold and a decent exhaust. Stock air box is good enough.
If you good gains and don't want to blow a shit load of cash then just get a tune and the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

3Stage IM + Tune is gonna be your biggest gain. Intake is not worth any money, get a KN drop in and remove the charcoal filter. If you don't like the PE or AA exhausts, then just have a shop remove your 2ndary cats and resonator but leave your stock muffler.
      06-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post
I'm pretty sure with all that stuff you are looking at about 30 more hp.
absolutely not.

he may gain 5 to 10whp max with all that stuff. these cars don't gain much unless you get a tune.

honestly, if you aren't planning on getting a tune, it doesn't make much sense to spend a bunch of money on mods. do the free/cheap stuff first, like drop in filter and charcoal delete. then get a 3-stage manifold AND tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
3 stage, tune, take out secondaries and be done with it

unless you want to get the supercharger, then just wait.

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
dgritti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yeah it looks like i forgot to put that i would run the AA tune to it since it seems to get the most out of the Intake manifold. and i did just notice the ESS tuning is soon to be releasing there supercharger so im not to sure if im gonna run the set up be cheaper than just getting the super charger system or if i should get the 3 stage then do the ESS supercharger?
but you guys are saying to delete the charcoal?? what does the charcoal filter restrict on the car?? and what other free stuff can i do in the mean time while im working to get parts
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

if you are going to get the SC, then forget the manifold, it won't matter.

the "charcoal delete" is cutting out the charcoal filter inside the stock airbox. it's like a gray fabric filter with little charcoal pellets inside of it or something. it's an emissions thing. Cutting it out and replacing the stock paper filter with a K&N or AFE will free up a few hp. Not a lot, but at least it's cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
dgritti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok cool thanks man appreciate it
got any other little tips and tricks i can do to the car in the mean time
yeah the guys at ESS said they where look at 80-90 horse power gain out of there stage 1 that they are producing plus they're local for me
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
Takeshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Cabriolet

Quote:
Add to this
-a K&N round filter for your Eurobox (although as mentioned above, the stock airbox with K&N panel filter is not bad too).
-customizable tune like AA
-delete secondary cats

Quote:
i dont know what kind of full exhaust system to run to get the most out the the car now im not a big fan of AA exhuast or the Bmw Pe just cuz the sound but as far as helping with performance i will revisit them.
If you're not a huge fan of the AA and PE exhaust sound and you just want the performance, get a mandrel bent catback like Dinan, Magnaflow, Borla, AFE (although AFE has some customer service issues lately). The PE piping looks pretty similar to the stock piping and is not very smooth. It just has a resonator delete and better flowing muffler. AA exhaust has smoother mandrel bent piping but is only an axleback.

Once you're done all this you'll have a pretty good N/A setup
E93 328i | Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs | 19 inch BMW Performance 269 Rims | Aero Front Lip | Yellow Fog Light Tint | Black Front Grill | K&N Drop In Filter | Charcoal Filter Delete | Cyba Air Scoops | Rev Motoring Silicone Intake Hose | Magnaflow Full Catback Exhaust | Secondary Cat Delete | BMS Powerbox Tune | BMS Downshift Blocker
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
KJHill
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I've just recently installed the Afe sealed box with dry cone, scoops and the PE. Didn't see much increase if any in HP arena. Maybe a little quicker off the start. However my gas mileage has gone done. I'm hoping once the car is used to the set up it will increase a little. I'm gonna get a tune down the road a little bit, once I pay off the shit I just did. I've got the N51 so already have the 3 stage intake. Everything sounds better and looks good
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

In order of potential effectiveness
Intake -
AFE Stage 2 SI (Best in terms of power)
Dinan + Charcoal delete (comes with K&N Filter)
Euro Airbox

Scoops -
Cyba

Intake manifold-
Car-Part.com
ECSTuning
Turner Motorsports

Tune-
Active Auto
Evolve/ESS/OE Tuning

Exhaust - (don't bother with a muffler if your going to do headers)
Super Sprint Headers
Schmiedmann Headers

That's 45whp right there, have fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
In order of potential effectiveness
Intake -
AFE Stage 2 SI (Best in terms of power)
Dinan + Charcoal delete (comes with K&N Filter)
Euro Airbox

Scoops -
Cyba

Intake manifold-
Car-Part.com
ECSTuning
Turner Motorsports

Tune-
Active Auto
Evolve/ESS/OE Tuning

Exhaust - (don't bother with a muffler if your going to do headers)
Super Sprint Headers
Schmiedmann Headers

That's 45whp right there, have fun.

i guess the AFE catted headers were a no go? what ever happened with that?

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo View Post
i guess the AFE catted headers were a no go? what ever happened with that?
I'm sure they work, and work well enough - I just think those two options are better. And I forgot about them.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #16
dgritti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks guys for all the input
i am actually gonna grab the ess super charger and run new headers and exhaust
what kind of exhaust and headers should i run ( i dont wanna run some shitty ebay headers or ones that crack easy) was thinking bout running all super sprint but id have to work my ass off for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #17
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
thanks guys for all the input
i am actually gonna grab the ess super charger and run new headers and exhaust
what kind of exhaust and headers should i run ( i dont wanna run some shitty ebay headers or ones that crack easy) was thinking bout running all super sprint but id have to work my ass off for it.
if you have emissions testing... you could always do the AFE catted headers and the PE exhaust with a secondary cat delete...and just pray they dont look under your car

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #18
longnvu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 E92 E60 F30

I have a 3 stage intake manifold with all the disa if your interested
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
if you have emissions testing... you could always do the AFE catted headers and the PE exhaust with a secondary cat delete...and just pray they dont look under your car
I don't know if I would run those with a Supercharger, I'd imagine that it would kill the catalytic converters.

Super Sprint is good stuff, but less than half the price Schmiedmann Headers are a good alternative.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #20
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I don't know if I would run those with a Supercharger, I'd imagine that it would kill the catalytic converters.

Super Sprint is good stuff, but less than half the price Schmiedmann Headers are a good alternative.
It just occurred to me, should you run catted headers with an sc? If you can't then I'm screwed
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #21
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
It just occurred to me, should you run catted headers with an sc? If you can't then I'm screwed
Stock should be fine because they flow like crap, but on the E46 forums, a few FI guys killed their aftermarket catted headers with Turbo/Supercharger kits. The headers flowed too well and ended up killing the converters.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
dgritti
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yeah see i wanna be able to run headers and not kill the cats cuz i do have emissions out where im at
what should i run so the sc doesnt destroy them haha
Appreciate 0