F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anything “wrong” with this order?
ARMA SPEED

06-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Notechy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d xDrive SE

Anything “wrong” with this order?

2000-07 had E46 330dse auto touring, sold at 116,000 miles. 2007-present have E91 335dse touring, now at 119,000 miles. Mileage might now tail off a little as I am more fully retired. Was tempted somewhat by much better mpg of 320d, and performance probably adequate, but disliked engine noise especially when under acceleration. So, in for a penny, in for lots of £££’s despite being mainly gentle drivers.

So, anything ill-judged about this order, in the light of some commentary below? Current selection is of course informed by many helpful posts on this forum, read assiduously after the first version of the order was placed.

F31 335d xDrive Luxury Touring N57z 3.0d
Mineral Grey
Black Dakota leather with Exclusive stitching
Fine-wood trim Fineline anthracite
Interior trim finishers - Pearl Chrome

Active Security package
Interior comfort package
Media package - BMW Professional
Visibility package
Adaptive M Sport suspension
Model designation deletion
Comfort Access
Reversing Assist camera
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
Sport seats
Surround-view
Speed limit display
Harman/Kardon speakers
Matt aluminium roof rails.

Why not M Sport? Slightly prefer look of the Luxury – just a touch of external bling. Wife dislikes alloys which display too much of the “gubbins” behind. Dislike the gloom of the black headlining in the absence of light interior trims designed to maximise the visibility of grime. M Sports Plus package side-stepped for similar reasons, plus fear of big wheel impact of ride comfort.

Mineral gray goes well with the touch of bling, but needs the aluminium roof rails instead of black.

Interior comfort – mainly to get the folding rear head restraints which otherwise block the view to the rear.

Exterior folding mirrors – as required by other options.

Surround view – substituted for initial option of Advanced Parking Package.

Variable Speed Steering – initially selected as I did not like the lightness of steering at motorway speeds; dropped when I read that, although it becomes more sensitive at sharper turns, it is still more sensitive than standard steering around the centre.

Sun protection glass – not ordered, but not definitely ruled out. Advice particularly welcomed here. How much does it achieve in relation to its stated purpose? And, for anyone recommending it, have you travelled far in the back of your car on a gloomy day, and how was it?

So, any helpful observations please?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Only problems i can see is 1) The exterior isn't Estoril Blue, and 2) the interior isn't Red!

But apart from that it looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Sounds very interesting.

I think this will be the first non M Sport 335d on here.

Look forward to photos!
      06-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Depending on the importance of fuel economy (you mentioned the 320d) the xDrive takes a bit of a penalty on that front. The 335d is the performance model, the 330d is a great half way house between the 320d and the 335d. It will return close to e90 320d fuel economy, with e90 335d performance. Just a thought?!?!?

If you intend to clock up over a ton k mileage on this one, I would expect xDrive to cost more in maintenance and tyres over the duration.

I would definitely get VSS, I have owned both and much prefer it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

The darkened glass is pretty effective, much less heat build up than in my previous tourer. It will make the back of a tourer with black seats quite gloomy without the panoramic sunroof though. It's a pricey option (the sunroof) but we absolutely love it, and would be a must have before the active cruise and probably even the HUD.
Other than that, spec looks good!
I had an E46 330d tourer too, and had it up to 157k miles without a single issue.... Loved that car and very much had it in mind when choosing the current 335d we have. Fully intend to do as you do and keep for a full model life cycle!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Looks good, I would go for the sun protection glass with an F31, however if costs allow yes sun roof.

The 330 is an excellent engine and from what others have said gives good fuel returns.

How much are you saving NOT getting the parking package?

Remember speed limit just gives you the sign, it's pretty dumb.

I find the lim switch actually handy for setting things up.

The centre head rest folds and visibility is actually ok tbh, however not tried it with folding, I tend to use wing mirrors more than rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Steadyslack
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring, Porsche Boxster

Try a Porsche Macan.
      06-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xdrive Sport MT

Would recommend adding the HUD. Combined with the speed limit display it takes a lot of stress out of driving on new roads. Mineral grey is the best colour.
Advanced Parking package, Pro Media, HUD, speed limit display, heated and electric front seats. Halogens!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
Paulifa
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by languidmandala View Post
Would recommend adding the HUD. Combined with the speed limit display it takes a lot of stress out of driving on new roads. Mineral grey is the best colour.
+ 1

Great spec. Had speed limit display in old car and was a waste of money but with HUD it is fantastic as it's in your eye line. Certain it will save a few speeding tickets. Bet I get nicked tomorrow now I've said that
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

The standard alloys on the Lux spec have a lot of spokes and will be nasty to clean. Your wife may like the look, but you won't like grubbing around with a toothbrush because nothing else fits in the gaps between the spokes.

Consider swapping the alloys. The 7-spoke 18" 396 style is a free upgrade, if you don't want to pay extra.

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

I would drop comfort access (purely based on a suspicion it is less secure) and add heated seats. Individual leather would take the interior to a different level
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Addinuff
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport +

I hear the camera is rubbish?

I wish I'd have got the extended storage package, but that's just me
      06-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
I would drop comfort access (purely based on a suspicion it is less secure) and add heated seats. Individual leather would take the interior to a different level
2 good points!!

Comfort access is a) a security problem, and b) £500 to press the door handle instead of the keyfob to lock/unlock the car!

And i'd missed that there was no heated seats, there are one of the few important options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addinuff View Post

I wish I'd have got the extended storage package, but that's just me
He's specced the interior comfort pack, which includes extended storage pack!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addinuff View Post

but he has added surround view which is superb. I added it because of living on a main road and exiting my drive but as well as solving that issue it makes the car so easy to place accurately within a parking place (eg at supermarket or car park with fines for crossing into next ******* at first attempt.

Last edited by pmgreenwood; 06-16-2014 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Looks like a fabulous spec to me and a great change to the usual msport. Make sure you get a good discount, anything circa 20% and you'll be happy.

I really wish I'd gone sunroof now but deffo next.

Lots of pics inside and out when it comes!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #16
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

As one Surrey pensioner to another, I would also recommend the HUD and also the heated seats. the sat nav instructions come up in the HUD and in a year of ownership I have never used the verbal instructions, it is all in your line of sight and if in doubt, you can always look on the main screen.

Not sure I see the point of 4 wheel drive in Surrey......

The tourer gets hot if parked in the sun and do not think the ethnic glass would help that. Once underway the air con copes wonderfully with the tropical intensity of a Surrey summer so again can see no point in having the aesthetic disaster of different colour windows.

After half a century of driving I have just about managed to master parking so cannot see the point of cameras particularly as I am still flexible enough to be able to turn my head to look around the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:19 AM   #17
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

HUD before heated seats any time for me. It's brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:43 AM   #18
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

A pensioner like you Notechy.

One question I asked (people thought I was mad) was would the 335d trundle happily at 20 mph as we have lots of restricted zones in urban areas in Newcastle. answer is it goes like a dream at all speeds up to 100 mph! Never will try above.

So it's excellent for the gentle driver as well as the thruster.

Excellent spec all I have extra is VSS which I plumped for after reading lots of comments.

I do wonder about black interior and mineral grey - I'm beige with mineral grey. I think if your wife and you could agree on it - that coral red with mineral grey is distinguished but full of personality as others have said in other words.

The luxury thing over msport I quite understand but when I was doing my sums the msport model came out cheaper with the dealers contribution.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:21 AM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
As one Surrey pensioner to another, I would also recommend the HUD and also the heated seats. the sat nav instructions come up in the HUD and in a year of ownership I have never used the verbal instructions, it is all in your line of sight and if in doubt, you can always look on the main screen.

Not sure I see the point of 4 wheel drive in Surrey......

The tourer gets hot if parked in the sun and do not think the ethnic glass would help that. Once underway the air con copes wonderfully with the tropical intensity of a Surrey summer so again can see no point in having the aesthetic disaster of different colour windows.

After half a century of driving I have just about managed to master parking so cannot see the point of cameras particularly as I am still flexible enough to be able to turn my head to look around the car.
Agree on the HUD and the parking.

However, from my mere week of owning an xdrive, I have noticed it's not just for poor weather, it changes the dynamics of the car, you can keep power on longer in bends (actually all the way on most) - no more having to be prepared to react if you over egg the power on an Sdrive.
Also adds that extra practicality to the car, a car for all seasons.

As for the sun protection glass, it does keep the rear cooler while travelling and for brief spells when parked up, however one of key benefits is keeping stuff on rear seats out of prying eyes.

Btw I think the use of ethnic to describe the glass as rather offensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:37 AM   #20
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Folding rear headrests. This is the one option I really wish I'd specced for the money....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #21
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
The standard alloys on the Lux spec have a lot of spokes and will be nasty to clean. Your wife may like the look, but you won't like grubbing around with a toothbrush because nothing else fits in the gaps between the spokes.
I have these luxury wheels and they are gorgeous ! Get the correct size / shape brushes and they take about 1 minute each to clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #22
Notechy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d xDrive SE

I am most grateful for members' positive and informative responses. A few reactions while I reflect further....

Cost. Basic cost of Luxury plus sports seats is a whisker cheaper than M Sport; a little dearer when adaptive suspension added to both as oddly priced higher for Luxury; and only the M Sports gives access to the M Sports Plus package which offers a useful saving over the individual components if they are needed/desired. Discounts were the same. Was sucked into this premature purchase by a Drive The Deal email quoting a discount of 23.5% (now gone from website), but lesser rate achieved on options. The excellent Chris Bishop of Coopers, Thames Ditton, agreed to match their price plus a modest agreed sum.

Alternative cars. Macan - previously unknown to me but, whatever its merits, I have now paid my BMW deposit. Other F31's - logical but....; and extra maintenance costs for xdrive had not occurred to me.

Colours. Estoril blue looks great; a little loud for pensioners, but would probably have still gone for if M Sport with its fewer shiny bits. Red seats have some appeal, but not available for Luxury. Bring back grey seats!

Comfort access. One of the few options which we have had before. Is pricey, but would now miss it badly: i want to leave my key in my pocket!

HUD. Tempting. Would be more tempting if the information was not also available on the display seen through steering wheel (ie if only available on the media screen).

Speed limit display. IF RELIABLE, seems like a real asset in unfamiliar areas where it can be difficult to recall the latest speed restriction.

Sun protection glass & sunroof. Without the latter, reluctant to go for the former. The sunroof does cost, must remove some headroom and add at least a little weight.

Wheels. Difficult. I do like the standard Luxury ones, 416. Son had warned of cleaning challenge to which I rather glibly said I go to car wash (with apologies to those with an infinitely more conscientious approach to appearance of their car). I do not much like the alternative 396; the 398 appeals a little more, but £290.

Will ponder on.

Last edited by Notechy; 06-16-2014 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Clarity/emphasis
Appreciate 0