Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Runflats Dead - New Tire & Rimz Advice Plz! 335i

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-28-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon 335i Sedan

Runflats Dead - New Tire & Rimz Advice Plz! 335i

Hey Everyond,

I have a 2007 335i Sport Pack w/ runflats--- sedan graphite. There comes a time when a man must buy new tires and now is the time! I want something with increased performance over my run flats, but don't want to pay an extreme amount.

I am also interested in possibly getting a rim/tire combo. RIght now I have 18's... should I get 19's or will it effect my handling?

For tires, a friend of mine recommended these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....s+V12+evo+K110

Hanook Ventus v12 EVO K110 - UTQG - 280 AA A.

They are much cheaper than I expected @ only $600-$850 for a whole set. I was thinking like $1500 for a set of good tires.

AS far as rims are concerned--- any suggestions on some good rims? I found these here which look pretty cool. Was thinking of these in either black or silver.

http://www.**********s.com/Avant-Gar...-Black-BMW.htm

What do you guys think of these? Think my tire/wheel combo is a worthy mix? Any suggestions, websites, etc are appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
cerebralone
KO_TECHNOLOGY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible Montego

I am in the same boat, cords on the tires starte to show yikes! But make sure you check out the ventus e4 105 , I might be wrong but the v12 evo is a summer tire and the ventus is an all season tire plus they have rebates going on for 40 and 60 dollars which basically covers shipping costs. I think I am going to get a pair of fresh tires for now and really figure out what I like before jumping for new wheels. Continentals Extremecontact dws are great tires for more money IMO but hankook are great for value, I have them on two cars with 300 hp and they are sporty and smooth, and worthwhile!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebralone View Post
I am in the same boat, cords on the tires starte to show yikes! But make sure you check out the ventus e4 105 , I might be wrong but the v12 evo is a summer tire and the ventus is an all season tire plus they have rebates going on for 40 and 60 dollars which basically covers shipping costs. I think I am going to get a pair of fresh tires for now and really figure out what I like before jumping for new wheels. Continentals Extremecontact dws are great tires for more money IMO but hankook are great for value, I have them on two cars with 300 hp and they are sporty and smooth, and worthwhile!
You are correct. The Hankook Ventus V12 Evo is a summer tire, while the V4 ES is an all-season tire.

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Richo
Rep
Drives: 330I Dark Blue/Gray

Anyone running the V4 ES? What do you think? Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep

I heard all season might not be good for SF, and Summer should be good?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

LOL shit the evo 12's are summers? I thought they were all seasons. Damn I'm an idiot.
2024 BMW M2
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
sd23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i x-drive M-sport EBII

I got Bridgestone S0-4 to replace my run flats 2 days ago. Handling and ride is much better than the run flats. They are more expensive than what you quote but if you get them from costco they will run you around 1050 installed, after rebates. Tirerack has a $100 mail in rebate.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position
Cost of +1 tires outweigh the benefit, as in the case of the bridge stone your looking at an extra 160 just for +1 size.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #8
Vuch
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i w/Sport Pckg

Tires and Rim

Gents, I'm new to this site and found your discussion very useful. I have a set of the Type 162s also with the runflats and the exact same car as Jmilber. I came to the site b/c I have some rim rash and I'm looking to get some replacement rims and possibly use the old rims to put some all-weather tires on. I baby the car so I'm not sure I'd even take it out in the snow here in VA. Anyway, I also looked at the Tirerack site (thanks, Gary) and will consider the V4 ES he recommended. However, I need to get my hands on some used rims. I really like the classic look of the 162s. I'm going to have to do some more research before I can comment on anyone's rim/tire combo but I'll be in the same boat before long.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

vr
Vuch
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
jmilber
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ended up buying Conti DW extreme contact and kept my 18" stock sports package rims. My driving experience has improved by changing tires-- there is less noise and bounce as people said, and the tires seem to grip the road better around turns. I didn't think simple tires would make a noticeable difference, but the car really has a tighter feel around curves now. Anyone have a similar experience when switching off their run flats?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Vuch
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i w/Sport Pckg

I've had the exact same issues (haven't changed my tires yet). Noise and bounce on the runflats. Also, if you get a flat it'll run you $100...or at least that is what I paid. When I bought the car, the fellow that I bought it from said that'd be the first thing he changed. I, too, would be interested to hear if anyone had a similiar experience.
Appreciate 0