F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Burning fat without losing muscle...
proTUNING Freaks

02-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #67
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I'm thinking I would prefer to cut before I gain mass since time is limited before May or so when it gets nice again. Maybe I should be eating at a larger deficit. I haven't really been losing much weight (maybe a pound or a pound and a half) over the last two-three weeks so I might need to be eating at a bigger deficit?

Good info about the lifting sets. Thanks.
That isn't such a bad rate of loss, might be able to squeeze out another pound but any more and you're probably losing more mass than you want. I'd shoot for 2 lbs per week at the most. Depends on your diet too, what you are eating is important if you're trying to cut. Go with too big of a deficit and you'll lose energy to workout and mass.
      02-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #68
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
That isn't such a bad rate of loss, might be able to squeeze out another pound but any more and you're probably losing more mass than you want. I'd shoot for 2 lbs per week at the most. Depends on your diet too, what you are eating is important if you're trying to cut. Go with too big of a deficit and you'll lose energy to workout and mass.
Yeah like I said I've been shooting for ~2100 calories or so, with hitting 160 protein and 80 fat on my macros (1g/pd and .5g/pd respectively), although I only started paying attention to the macros this week because I didn't realize how important they were before, so that probably wasn't helping my case. I was eating too many carbs (I do eat mostly complex carbs though) and not enough protein before I think which might have hurt my cut. According to the equation I used my BMR was 1974 and I gave myself a TEF of 1.4 since I desk jockey besides on the weekends and when I go to the gym 4 days a week on average I would say. That set me at 2764 calories total, so i'm cutting about 600. I guess I'll get on the scale next time I go to the gym, try to drop another two pounds, and then start bulking again. I'm not really sure how much mass I am losing because my physique wasn't great to begin with, I can only bench 115 as my top set (10 reps) so I'm not really built. Does that all sound reasonable to you (and anyone else reading)? I think I really started cutting the week after New Years, and I've dropped 4 or 5 pounds since then. Can def see it in the mirror, but there's still more to lose too.
      02-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #69
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah like I said I've been shooting for ~2100 calories or so, with hitting 160 protein and 80 fat on my macros (1g/pd and .5g/pd respectively), although I only started paying attention to the macros this week because I didn't realize how important they were before, so that probably wasn't helping my case. I was eating too many carbs (I do eat mostly complex carbs though) and not enough protein before I think which might have hurt my cut. According to the equation I used my BMR was 1974 and I gave myself a TEF of 1.4 since I desk jockey besides on the weekends and when I go to the gym 4 days a week on average I would say. That set me at 2764 calories total, so i'm cutting about 600. I guess I'll get on the scale next time I go to the gym, try to drop another two pounds, and then start bulking again. I'm not really sure how much mass I am losing because my physique wasn't great to begin with, I can only bench 115 as my top set (10 reps) so I'm not really built. Does that all sound reasonable to you (and anyone else reading)? I think I really started cutting the week after New Years, and I've dropped 4 or 5 pounds since then. Can def see it in the mirror, but there's still more to lose too.
I think that's fine. Make sure you come up with a good maintenance plan too once you lose those last couple of pounds. Unless you want to start bulking again right away. You can do it, but you might gain some fat during the bulking phase. During the summer I usually cut before it starts then try to maintain, during winter I'll be a little more relaxed with my body fat percentage since my shirt doesn't come off in public very much, haha...
      02-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #70
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think that's fine. Make sure you come up with a good maintenance plan too once you lose those last couple of pounds. Unless you want to start bulking again right away. You can do it, but you might gain some fat during the bulking phase. During the summer I usually cut before it starts then try to maintain, during winter I'll be a little more relaxed with my body fat percentage since my shirt doesn't come off in public very much, haha...
Yeah that makes more sense..when you maintain do you just try to eat right around your maintenance level given your activity?
      02-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #71
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah that makes more sense..when you maintain do you just try to eat right around your maintenance level given your activity?
Pretty much, I tend to stick around a more "normal" level of calorie intake if that makes any sense. Workouts stay relatively the same as my bulking phase, with some minor tweaks, but the calorie intake is baseline without a surplus or deficit.
      02-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #72
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pretty much, I tend to stick around a more "normal" level of calorie intake if that makes any sense. Workouts stay relatively the same as my bulking phase, with some minor tweaks, but the calorie intake is baseline without a surplus or deficit.
No I got you, so in my case I would try to hit 2700 or so, depending on the scale and what my actual maintenance weight is. Do you change your macros at all?
      02-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #73
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
No I got you, so in my case I would try to hit 2700 or so, depending on the scale and what my actual maintenance weight is. Do you change your macros at all?
Not really. My idea is to stay the same, so my percentages don't change much. I just drop the caloric intake from bulking to maintenance. Will still need the carbs for energy, protein/fat to maintain mass, etc...

One of the biggest mistakes I see out there is people dropping carbs too low or completely trying to cut and then wondering why their workouts are sucking so bad...
      02-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #74
Baseball7382
baseball7382
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 TiAg 335 x-drive

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I’m no pro nutritionist or bodybuilder, but a lot of the facts that people spit out here are not true or just not the right advice. I try to read as many articles and magazines as possible to learn what works for me personally, as all people react differently to different nutritional techniques and formulas. I see what makes the most sense in theory and try it out to see how it works for me. I weigh around 175-180lb, bench 325lb, squat 475lb, and deadlift 425lb. I’m a former D1 athlete and am all natural and only use a pre-workout (razor 8), isolate protein, multi-vitamin, and BCAA’s and CLA’s. Enough of the background on myself and time for some helpful advice.

Try a carb cycling plan to cut weight while maintaining and trying to increase your lean muscle. Here’s an example of the one I currently use:
Day 1-2: Take in .5g of carbs per lb of bodyweight. 25g of carbs in sugar form should be used 1 hr. before and 1 hr. after workout. Carbs should be some type of fruit before and after workout and vegetables for the other 40g based on a 180lb person.
Day 3: Bump up your carbs to 2g per lb of bodyweight. 50 g of carbs in sugar form before and after your workout using some type of fruit in combo with some straight sugar (I use gummy bears). The rest should come from vegetables and whole grains such as whole wheat bread, pasta, rice, or nuts.
DAY 4-5: (Same as day 1-2) Take in .5g of carbs per lb of bodyweight. 25g of carbs in sugar form should be used 1 hr. before and 1 hr. after workout. Carbs should be some type of fruit before and after workout and vegetables for the other 40g based on a 180lb person.
Day 6: Blitz your carbs to 4g per lb of bodyweight. 50 g of carbs in sugar form before and after your workout using some type of fruit in combo with some straight sugar (I use gummy bears). Try to eat another 500g in the form of vegetables and whole grains. (sweet potatoes are great). You are also allowed to cheat on this day with things such as pancakes, syrup, and cake for desert.

Then start the cycle all over again. What this cycle does is help cut the fat by lowering the carbs on your cut days, but it also helps maintain and build lean muscle still by providing glycogen to your muscles on the bump and blitz days, which will help the muscles, recover and grow. I recommend doing any heavy lifting after a high carb day as you feel stronger and have more energy. Also, try to consume 25g of protein an hour before your workout and within 30 min post-workout.

Any questions and comment let me know.
2010 E92 TiAg 335 x-drive / Xenon's / Premium Package / Sport Package / M-Sport Package / OEM Spoiler / Hardwired V1 / Lux H8v3 / JB4 PnP /Injen Intake / AMS FMIC / Stett Chargepipe / Synchronic BOV / Custon Tuning / KW1 Coilovers / 12mm Spacers Square / Carbon Fiber wrapped side reflectors
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #75
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Never got into carb cycling... The only thing I ever did was a 3 day cycle of low carb intake with a 4th day of a higher calorie/higher carb day. Didn't notice much of a difference in my workouts over time or my gains/losses, although I did usually look forward to eating kind of whatever I wanted on that 4th day.
      02-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #76
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not really. My idea is to stay the same, so my percentages don't change much. I just drop the caloric intake from bulking to maintenance. Will still need the carbs for energy, protein/fat to maintain mass, etc...

One of the biggest mistakes I see out there is people dropping carbs too low or completely trying to cut and then wondering why their workouts are sucking so bad...
So I'm writing here because I've definitely hit a wall over the last two weeks. Dropped from about 175 to about 161 or so now since October, so basically a pound a week. Have been stuck at 160 the last two weeks. I've been shooting for right about 2000 to 2100 calories with good macros, drinking ~100oz of water a day and exercising 4 days a week, but I'm stuck at my current weight. Still definitely have fat to lose in the mirror, so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if I am overestimating my maintenance level of calories. I've been measuring my intake well and I'm nearly certain that I'm taking about 2000 calories. I should be cutting my 2700 calorie maintenance level which does not even include calories burned during exercise.
      02-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #77
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
So I'm writing here because I've definitely hit a wall over the last two weeks. Dropped from about 175 to about 161 or so now since October, so basically a pound a week. Have been stuck at 160 the last two weeks. I've been shooting for right about 2000 to 2100 calories with good macros, drinking ~100oz of water a day and exercising 4 days a week, but I'm stuck at my current weight. Still definitely have fat to lose in the mirror, so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if I am overestimating my maintenance level of calories. I've been measuring my intake well and I'm nearly certain that I'm taking about 2000 calories. I should be cutting my 2700 calorie maintenance level which does not even include calories burned during exercise.
Please post your current macros.

Also, what is your current height?

I would suggest eating at maintenance for 2-3 weeks, then go back to eating in a deficit.
      04-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #78
loydholman
Rep
Drives: awesome

Thanks for these tips guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #79
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Muscle burns fat while at rest. If you gain muscle you shouldn't have to do much cardio or eat less calories if you are only trying to lose a few pounds.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #80
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
\Getting very lean takes either drugs, great genetics and/or the absence of carbohydrates/insulin for the majority of the day.
+1

You have a very disciplined diet, good genetics, and watch your caloric deficit. Sounds like you have a good starting point to work with. Good luck!

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #81
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

ive been on super low carb, low sugar, super low fat, super high protein diet for 3-4 weeks with 3 days of P90x and 2 days of heavy weights. i eat about 4-6 eggs a day, 3-4 protein shakes, chicken or lean meats = about 200g protein a day.

i've gotten some results so far, lost about 1 inch on stomach and gained about 4 lbs of muscle. i want to do this for another 3 months to see how it goes.

my goal is to be lean and athletic, not to be bulky

08-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #82
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
ive been on super low carb, low sugar, super low fat, super high protein diet for 3-4 weeks with 3 days of P90x and 2 days of heavy weights. i eat about 4-6 eggs a day, 3-4 protein shakes, chicken or lean meats = about 200g protein a day.

i've gotten some results so far, lost about 1 inch on stomach and gained about 4 lbs of muscle. i want to do this for another 3 months to see how it goes.

try upping your carbs a bit earlier in the day (morning to mid day before 2pm) to help you with some extra energy later on in the day. other than that, i think you have a pretty good layout for a lean/cut workout. How many calories are you at?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #83
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post

if your carbs are that low, your fats need to be much, much higher based on what you posted as your meals. If you're eating 200g protein = 800 cals + fats/carbs in your egg and shakes = +\- another 200-300 calories. Deficit may be too big. Post your stats.
      09-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #84
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

Sorry for delay, forgot to check this. Just finished my 2nd month of leaning out. 2 more months to go. Again my goal is not to get huge but get lean and cut.

I am 5'9"
~155lbs weighed in the morning (up from 150ish)
i've upped my carbs (slow acting mostly) to 100-150 day depending on the workout day
200g protein from lean meats, shakes, etc
calories are now about 1300-1500 depending on workout day

higher carbs and calories on high weight training days, lower for cardio days
im doing less cardio now and more weight training
goal is to get to 165 lbs

currently got tennis elbow from pushing hard and recovering on the arms and working elsewhere, esp legs where I am very weak.

Edit: I've reached 225lbs on bench and can do 4-5 reps for 2 sets.

i know it's a longgggg process ie lifestyle change so in a year i hope to get to my goal!

Last edited by duk; 09-11-2012 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #85
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I'm at 6' 178 and ~15.5% BF. I'm trying to trim BF as well.

It's hard. I'm completely off of post-processed foods (at college cooking foods daily), and strictly stick to fruits and veggies and any snacks. It doesn't seem like anything is working however, and very frustrating.

I'm finishing up my last week of P90x2. While I've cut down on some minor BF around the stomach, it's still there. I've became cut in the arms, shoulders, and chest...but the stomach/abs portion is a different story.

Thinking of starting phase 2 over again and trying to keep a strict diet, hopefully
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #86
tonio321
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehungevo View Post
Muscle burns fat while at rest. If you gain muscle you shouldn't have to do much cardio or eat less calories if you are only trying to lose a few pounds.
I've discussed the subject with a lot of people, and the ones with results usually tell me exactly what is said here. Hasn't really worked for me but I blame that on my diet.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #87
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

have you heard of transfer factor?

You may try this Glucoach
It will boost metabolism (due to Chromium) and help burn fat. In fact fat melts per testimonies.

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #88
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Winstrol or Tren X! Winstrol will pure shred.
Appreciate 0