F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > WeissLicht Spektrum LED turn signals
Extreme Powerhouse

12-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
WeissLicht Spektrum LED turn signals

Just installed my new Spektrum LED turn signal bulbs from WeissLicht/Bimmian. Pretty cool. Thank you Santa.

If the YouTube doesn't embed correctly, here is the link.

[u2b]http://youtu.be/f78-QxvC-80[/u2b]

New Spektrum bulb on the left, OEM incandescent on the right.
Attached Images

12-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i MG // VW Amarok

Nice tweak! How do you personally find them? These bulbs are plug and play right? And also, are you experiencing any flickering?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
BMW Lawman
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandy168 View Post
Nice tweak! How do you personally find them? These bulbs are plug and play right? And also, are you experiencing any flickering?
Good color and appearance. Very simple install, pull the old bulb out and plug the new bulb in. No flickering while they are on, not sure about when they are off, like at start up when the system checks for burnt bulbs. My E90 LED upgrades would flicker(when the lights weren't turned on) like at start up and randomly when the system was checking for burnt bulbs. I'll look for that with these and report back.

I'll post more photos tomorrow, I only had time to put one in before I had to head out the door to work.
      12-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Lawman View Post
Good color and appearance. Very simple install, pull the old bulb out and plug the new bulb in. No flickering while they are on, not sure about when they are off, like at start up when the system checks for burnt bulbs. My E90 LED upgrades would flicker(when the lights weren't turned on) like at start up and randomly when the system was checking for burnt bulbs. I'll look for that with these and report back.

I'll post more photos tomorrow, I only had time to put one in before I had to head out the door to work.
Definitely a good appearance, takes away the amber bulbs for sure. Waiting for your report before I buy these. Seems like a great mod. Can I ask where you bought them? and for how much?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
BMW Lawman
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely a good appearance, takes away the amber bulbs for sure. Waiting for your report before I buy these. Seems like a great mod. Can I ask where you bought them? and for how much?
Go to Bimmian.com and they are a featured product on their home page(I'm thinking I deserve some sort of endorsement consideration from my friends at Bimmian They are sold at the moment, for $54 a set, which includes 2 bulbs. I bought two sets, one for my front turn signals and a second set for my rear turn signals. Both sets I bought are amber(more on how the rear set looks tomorrow, but I was pretty surprised

As far as the "flickering" that occurs from the on-board system checking for burnt bulbs.....yes, it happens. You get multiple flashes at start up and then random flashes every minute or two thereafter. These bulbs are bright, so it is noticeable, at least it is in my not so greatly lit garage after dark. I will test it out tomorrow, outside in the daylight, and see how noticeable the micro flashes are. It's just a single micro flash every minute or two, but like I said, the bulbs are bright, so it would probably be even more noticeable if you were to use the white bulbs, which they are advertising as 8X brighter than OEM. They say the ambers are 3X brighter than OEM. I don't have a set of whites to test out, but I'm guessing if you were to use the white bulbs for the rear turn signals, you would be sporting a pretty bright pink color instead of red, but again, that would depend on the color of your rear lenses(all red here in the US), but more on that tomorrow.
      12-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

You can code the flicker off (disable the system bulb check).

Check out the codes here courtesy of forum member benoa.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...8&d=1386142231
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport

The rears is the same reference to the fronts?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
BMW Lawman
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT 335i View Post
Not sure I understand the question.
      12-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Go to Bimmian.com and they are a featured product on their home page(I'm thinking I deserve some sort of endorsement consideration from my friends at Bimmian They are sold at the moment, for $54 a set, which includes 2 bulbs. I bought two sets, one for my front turn signals and a second set for my rear turn signals. Both sets I bought are amber(more on how the rear set looks tomorrow, but I was pretty surprised

As far as the "flickering" that occurs from the on-board system checking for burnt bulbs.....yes, it happens. You get multiple flashes at start up and then random flashes every minute or two thereafter. These bulbs are bright, so it is noticeable, at least it is in my not so greatly lit garage after dark. I will test it out tomorrow, outside in the daylight, and see how noticeable the micro flashes are. It's just a single micro flash every minute or two, but like I said, the bulbs are bright, so it would probably be even more noticeable if you were to use the white bulbs, which they are advertising as 8X brighter than OEM. They say the ambers are 3X brighter than OEM. I don't have a set of whites to test out, but I'm guessing if you were to use the white bulbs for the rear turn signals, you would be sporting a pretty bright pink color instead of red, but again, that would depend on the color of your rear lenses(all red here in the US), but more on that tomorrow.
The main reason for these is to delete the amber inside the light housing of my f30. However, I'm unsure which bulb type I would have to get. On the Bimmian website, there are so many options:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 5.11.13 pm.png
Views: 10919
Size:  116.7 KB

Im also assuming that the white bulbs are only white illumination (i.e. when turn signal activated illuminate white) whereas amber is that it only illuminates amber. Are the housing for both the options the same with just different illumination?

Also, how are the rear turn signals going for you?

Sorry if it all sounds confusing, but I'm very confused at the moment
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
BMW Lawman
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The main reason for these is to delete the amber inside the light housing of my f30. However, I'm unsure which bulb type I would have to get. On the Bimmian website, there are so many options:

Im also assuming that the white bulbs are only white illumination (i.e. when turn signal activated illuminate white) whereas amber is that it only illuminates amber. Are the housing for both the options the same with just different illumination?

Also, how are the rear turn signals going for you?

Sorry if it all sounds confusing, but I'm very confused at the moment
Crack open your owners manual to make sure you order the correct bulb type for your car. I can't say for sure that your Australian spec car uses the same bulbs as my US spec car. My front and rear turn signals are two different bulb specs.

The bulbs are single color, either amber or white. Housings are the same, but there might be a slight color difference in the pin-head sized LED chips that they use for the two different colors, but they are so small that they are almost invisible.

The rears turned out great. Even though they are shining through a red lens, the light that comes through is completely amber and very bright. It's kinda surprising, since I tried an amber OEM bulb in the other rear turn signal, but the light that came through was still red. Like I warned before, I would be cautious about buying a white replacement bulb for a rear lens housing with a red or amber lens color, as the light that comes through may be bright pink(US lens) or a really bright washed out amber color(Aus lens). I would buy amber for the rears if you're thinking of upgrading those as well.

I'll post some pics of how mine turned out, but I found it's difficult to accurately photo lights, especially LEDs.
      12-30-2013, 02:21 AM   #11
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Crack open your owners manual to make sure you order the correct bulb type for your car. I can't say for sure that your Australian spec car uses the same bulbs as my US spec car. My front and rear turn signals are two different bulb specs.

The bulbs are single color, either amber or white. Housings are the same, but there might be a slight color difference in the pin-head sized LED chips that they use for the two different colors, but they are so small that they are almost invisible.

The rears turned out great. Even though they are shining through a red lens, the light that comes through is completely amber and very bright. It's kinda surprising, since I tried an amber OEM bulb in the other rear turn signal, but the light that came through was still red. Like I warned before, I would be cautious about buying a white replacement bulb for a rear lens housing with a red or amber lens color, as the light that comes through may be bright pink(US lens) or a really bright washed out amber color(Aus lens). I would buy amber for the rears if you're thinking of upgrading those as well.

I'll post some pics of how mine turned out, but I found it's difficult to accurately photo lights, especially LEDs.
Right, I think I get it.. so whether they are amber or white bulbs, they look like:
Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 7.18.38 pm.png
Views: 10842
Size:  190.1 KB
or
Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 7.19.31 pm.png
Views: 10719
Size:  60.7 KB

It's just the colour of the turn signal that changes (amber light or white light) correct?

wow.. i think i just confused myself a whole lot...
Thanks for being so patient and the input! I'm a newbie to the car modding scene..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT 335i View Post
PN: PY21W for the Front Signal.
PN: P21W for the Rear Signal, Brake Light, Reverse Light.

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 12-30-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's just a single micro flash every minute or two, but like I said, the bulbs are bright, so it would probably be even more noticeable if you were to use the white bulbs, which they are advertising as 8X brighter than OEM. They say the ambers are 3X brighter than OEM. I don't have a set of whites to test out, but I'm guessing if you were to use the white bulbs for the rear turn signals, you would be sporting a pretty bright pink color instead of red, but again, that would depend on the color of your rear lenses(all red here in the US), but more on that tomorrow.
Bright, Pritty Rose Pink in fact... I tested a pair of 30 SMD white LED's in my brakes and rear signal for a day, and ended up with gay love notes left on my windshield.

I WILL add though that Amber LED's will shine amber through the red housing.

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 07-09-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01 View Post
PN: PY21W for the Front Signal.
PN: P21W for the Rear Signal, Brake Light, Reverse Light.

Thank you
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
BMW Lawman
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right, I think I get it.. so whether they are amber or white bulbs, they look like:

It's just the colour of the turn signal that changes (amber light or white light) correct?

wow.. i think i just confused myself a whole lot...
Thanks for being so patient and the input! I'm a newbie to the car modding scene..
Yes, the bulbs will look the same, regardless of color of light they emit. Those little yellow dots on the side of the bulbs will be more amber in color on the amber bulbs, and yellow(like in the pic) for white bulbs.

After running these for a couple days, I am very happy with them. These bulbs are nothing like the first generation LED replacement bulbs of a few years back. Highly recommend them, front and rear.

Maybe WeissLicht can come up with one suitable for the brake lights, I would buy it!
      01-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Maybe WeissLicht can come up with one suitable for the brake lights, I would buy it!

I wish more manufactures like WeissLicht made quality Red CREE LED's.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #17
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S

Even the newest WeissLicht led turn signals still flicker?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 02:15 AM   #18
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
Even the newest WeissLicht led turn signals still flicker?
The flicker is not caused by the LED, the flicker is caused by an internal diagnostic in the ECM. The ECM sends low power periodically to the positions where the car should have incandescent lights installed. The power isn't enough to make an incandescent bulb flicker however it will with an LED because of how energy efficient they are. The only way around this problem is coding. So that said it's actually the car that causes the flickering not the LED's, they work better then their suppose to.

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 02-03-2014 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #19
s4mzxc
Rep
Drives: f30

do you have reverse light and the brake light pic?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,
First off, if anyone wants to go with European tail lights, the part number for the kit (left & right) is 6321 731845KT; ECS Tuning has it for $469.

Am a little confused by this thread. Since I like amber rear turn signals, am trying to come up with a little less expensive solution. I would think that if I got an amber bulb (perhaps LED) and replace the turn signal bulb with it, the turn signal would appear amber. Having said that, thought there are two bulbs in the turn signal housing, but there are three functions: brake lights, turn signals, & tail lights. Do one of these P21W bulbs only work the turn signals? If so, that would be the one to replace

So, which bulb to replace and will an amber bulb appear amber through US tail light assembly?

Appreciate any help
Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #21
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:

I assume you changed out one of the bulbs in the tail light on the rear fender. Which socket in the tail light do you install these bulbs in?

Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #22
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mzxc View Post
do you have reverse light and the brake light pic?
I have one of those in my thread here http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=996012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
I assume you changed out one of the bulbs in the tail light on the rear fender. Which socket in the tail light do you install these bulbs in?

Thanks
The blinkers are on the outside light on the top. Brakes are the bottom on the outside and inside tail light housings. Reverse are on the top of the inner tail light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,
First off, if anyone wants to go with European tail lights, the part number for the kit (left & right) is 6321 731845KT; ECS Tuning has it for $469.

Am a little confused by this thread. Since I like amber rear turn signals, am trying to come up with a little less expensive solution. I would think that if I got an amber bulb (perhaps LED) and replace the turn signal bulb with it, the turn signal would appear amber. Having said that, thought there are two bulbs in the turn signal housing, but there are three functions: brake lights, turn signals, & tail lights. Do one of these P21W bulbs only work the turn signals? If so, that would be the one to replace

So, which bulb to replace and will an amber bulb appear amber through US tail light assembly?

Appreciate any help
Thanks
WTS302RAY on bimmian is the rear amber tail light bulb. I don't think it'll do much though as far as color.
http://www.bimmian.com/WeissLicht-LE...W-F30-3-Series
Appreciate 0