F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > The BMW Door Locks/System (Question)
proTUNING Freaks

12-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Andreuoid
Rep
Drives: Platinum Gray GLI Autobahn DSG

The BMW Door Locks/System (Question)

Hey guys. Newbie here. Post numero uno!

The Setup
I have been a Volkswagen fanboy since my early teens and currently own a 2007 Platinum Grey Metallic GLI (not GTI) with DSG and Autobahn package.

It's safe to say I'm head-over-heals in love with my car, but to cut a long story short, I'm not sure that I'll be returning to VW when I'm ready for a new ride; that's a separate post.

If you're unaware, one of the things us V-Dubbers go crazy over are the million-and-one awesome features stock-piled into our cars like stolen money from a heist.

One common/basic thing I like in particular that has become standard across all VWs (Audi and Porsche) for the past several years, is our door locks system.

VWAG removed the pull/peg/rod/? that was in the doors--you know that thing that once-upon-a-time was how you locked/unlocked your car doors from the inside--and they covered it up and added electric lock/unlock rocker buttons to every door, not just the fronts (though the back buttons only control the door it's on--the fronts control all doors).

While it's not a big deal, I've become really curious about the disparities between VW/Audi/Porsche locks and BMW/Minis.

The Question
Can anyone tell me about the concept behind why there is a single Lock/Unlock button located in the center stack of all BMWs and why BMW still uses those door lock pulls/pegs/rods/? on every door.

I suppose I'm curious because I don't like them and they seem antiquated. And the idea of one button for both Lock and Unlock seemingly requires the user to know what the current state of the locks are before pressing the button; and even then, what will it do? Lock or Unlock, when pressed?

Also, the "pegs/pulls" allow a person to quickly identify locked and unlocked doors (not that this prevents some one who really wants to get into you car from doing so).

The Rest
I've included some photos below to help depict what I'm talking about.

1 of VW, 1 of BMW, and another of VW just for good measure.

Again, not a big deal but just something I've been searching for answers on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Andreuoid; 12-27-2011 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
"I suppose I'm curious because I don't like them and they seem antiquated. And the idea of one button for both Lock and Unlock seemingly requires the user to know what the current state of the locks are before pressing the button"

My Z4 is the only BMW I've ever owned, so not sure if they all operate like mine, but you do kinda need to know the "current state" of your locks. I find myself glancing at the "pull" to see if the door is locked or unlocked at times. The key will unlock just the driver door with one push, and both doors with two pushes. If you only unlock the driver door, then after you are in and push the central lock/unlock button, it locks the driver door and leaves the passenger door locked........... there is some logic built into the system. I want to program mine to "auto lock" both doors (or the drivers if that is all I unlocked with the key) when you drive off and hit a certain speed. Nice feature in case you forget to lock your doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
ElayneXiong
Rep
Drives: bmw

I suppose I'm curious because I don't like them and they seem antiquated.
      12-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Andreuoid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
My Z4 is the only BMW I've ever owned, so not sure if they all operate like mine, but you do kinda need to know the "current state" of your locks. I find myself glancing at the "pull" to see if the door is locked or unlocked at times.
I'm pretty sure they all do; at least from my experience when renting BMWs.

Your point tacks on yet another question though.

Say you're in your 4-door BMW and two of the doors are Unlocked, and you press the central Lock/Unlock button, what happens? Do all the doors Unlock OR do they all Lock?

I suppose once you know how the system works, you can anticipate what it will do; however, I don't want to anticipate. I'd prefer to have a button for Lock and a button for Unlock and not one that does both so I don't have to "anticipate".

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I want to program mine to "auto lock" both doors (or the drivers if that is all I unlocked with the key) when you drive off and hit a certain speed. Nice feature in case you forget to lock your doors.
I really thought this feature was already present. No?

This is on my 2007 VW and seems silly for it not to be on a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The auto lock feature is present.
You can set it yourself on the 1 series through the onboard computer.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire007 View Post
The auto lock feature is present.
You can set it yourself on the 1 series through the onboard computer.
Same on my car, it's there, you have to program it to work that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Rallo
Sho'nuff!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Garage List
2007 GSXR 1000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 528i  [0.00]
I think the reason there is only one button in the bmws is because they try to simplify the interior of the car and are avoiding filling the cabin with many buttons, switches, and gauges compared to other cars. Maybe that is why the "radio buttons" can be programmed for other functions (not sure about other bmw models).

For 4 door sedan the lock/unlock button works for all doors. If only one door is unlocked it will lock that one. I have my car set to lock automatically after the car drives. This also lets me know what state the lock is in without having to look at the pegs.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Andreuoid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallo View Post
I think the reason there is only one button in the bmws is because they try to simplify the interior of the car and are avoiding filling the cabin with many buttons, switches, and gauges compared to other cars.
Hmm... I feel like the VW/Audi/Porsche system is simple too.

Their concept = no lock pulls on any door and a Lock/Unlock rocker button integrated into every door handle.

The Lock/Unlock rocker is also lit so that when a door(s) is locked, the "Locked" icon glows orange. Alternatively, whatever door is unlocked has no light present alerting you that it is "Unlocked".

Needless to say, it's one of those tiny, tiny things that highlight (at least IMO) a really good feature implementation.

I've always known BMW was the ultimate driving machine while VW/AUDI made the ultimate interior scheme.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

It looks out dated but, I think it's for the safety issues too. if any unwanted mishap happens and a lock button is faulity, it results in delaying any necessary aid to the passengers and driver. With push-pull, even the car is locked it would be easy to unlock with the help of some simple tools.

Last edited by gdkalyanapu; 12-28-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: change of words
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Andreuoid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkalyanapu View Post
It looks out dated but, I think it's for the safety issues too. if any unwanted mishap happens and a lock button is faulity, it results in delaying any necessary aid to the passengers and driver. With push-pull, even the car is locked it would be easy to unlock with the help of some simple tools.
That's very possible. But even if you covered up the "rod" (basically making it shorter and unseen like VW/Audi has done) the actual mechanism would still be under the door sill allowing the same type of aid in the event of such a situation.

But you could very well be right.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
gdkalyanapu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreuoid View Post
That's very possible. But even if you covered up the "rod" (basically making it shorter and unseen like VW/Audi has done) the actual mechanism would still be under the door sill allowing the same type of aid in the event of such a situation.

But you could very well be right.
I'm unsure if vw/Audi has that rod anymore. It wouldn't make sense to have the rod and an electronic switch at the same location. It can even malfunction and be a wastage of resources. Also, I think they can save a few millions in production by eliminating it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Andreuoid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkalyanapu View Post
I'm unsure if vw/Audi has that rod anymore. It wouldn't make sense to have the rod and an electronic switch at the same location. It can even malfunction and be a wastage of resources. Also, I think they can save a few millions in production by eliminating it.
No. I see your point. And you're probably right. The rod is most likely not present under the door sill but the same mechanism/actuator is still present should you need to unlock the door through less conventional means.

They've managed to do away with the old look but retain any "safety" advantage BMW is relying on.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

Moving the lock/unlock to a central position it keeps someone from reaching through your window (cracked open) and unlocking your door. Central locking is a safety issue.

By requiring two pulls of the handle to unlock your door it deters them or at least gives you time to roll up your window or hit the gas.

BMW lets you autolock as soon as you go into drive or reverse...as do many other companies, and will unlock when you turn the car off. Point being your doors should be locked while your driving, so if at any time you need to unlock your car you unlock all the doors. Since the peg goes down when it's locked, it's impossible for 2 doors to be unlocked and 2 locked, since you'd need to dig it out (or suck it out if you're into that) to be able to unlock any given door without hitting the switch.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Andreuoid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalPower View Post
Moving the lock/unlock to a central position it keeps someone from reaching through your window (cracked open) and unlocking your door. Central locking is a safety issue.
I find it hard to believe that using outdated pegs and having one button for two jobs (Lock/Unlock) is BWMs way of ensuring "safety".

The VW/Audi Lock + Unlock buttons located on every door handle are far down and far away enough from a cracked-open window that you'd have a hell of a time getting to them. So I can't say I see that point.

Quote:
By requiring two pulls of the handle to unlock your door it deters them or at least gives you time to roll up your window or hit the gas.
I'm really confused by what you mean when you say "deters them" or "gives you time to roll up your window or hit gas".

The "two pulls" refers to the inside door handle, not the outside door handle which it seems like you're referring to.

As such, this concept is not in place to deter someone trying to gain access from the outside of the vehicle. It's designed so that you can Unlock your door with the first pull of the handle and Exit the car with the second.

You only have to pull the outside door handle once.

Quote:
Since the peg goes down when it's locked, it's impossible for 2 doors to be unlocked and 2 locked, since you'd need to dig it out (or suck it out if you're into that) to be able to unlock any given door without hitting the switch.
I'm afraid you are incorrect. If two passengers pull twice on their handle (as described above) they will have Unlocked their doors and exited the car leaving their respective doors Unlocked and the other two doors Locked.

Therefore you can indeed have two doors locked and two doors unlocked.

Since BWM has only one button for both Lock and Unlock, my secondary question still remains:

In the event that two doors are Locked and two doors are Unlocked, what does the system do when you press the central button? Does it Lock all doors or Unlock all doors?

I do appreciate your thoughts on why BMW chooses to continue this concept (or chooses not to innovate it, rather). Though, I'm still not convinced it's relevant in today's era of design.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreuoid View Post
The VW/Audi Lock + Unlock buttons located on every door handle are far down and far away enough from a cracked-open window that you'd have a hell of a time getting to them. So I can't say I see that point.

I'm really confused by what you mean when you say "deters them" or "gives you time to roll up your window or hit gas".

The "two pulls" refers to the inside door handle, not the outside door handle which it seems like you're referring to.

As such, this concept is not in place to deter someone trying to gain access from the outside of the vehicle. It's designed so that you can Unlock your door with the first pull of the handle and Exit the car with the second.

You only have to pull the outside door handle once.

I'm afraid you are incorrect. If two passengers pull twice on their handle (as described above) they will have Unlocked their doors and exited the car leaving their respective doors Unlocked and the other two doors Locked.

Therefore you can indeed have two doors locked and two doors unlocked.

In the event that two doors are Locked and two doors are Unlocked, what does the system do when you press the central button? Does it Lock all doors or Unlock all doors?

Since all doors are locked from the get go, you'd have to (or a passenger would) to open a door while the car is in motion, therefore the only time a door would be unlocked would be when the car is at a standstill and when it starts rolling again, doors would lock automatically.

If in the odd case that any doors are unlocked, and you hit the lock/unlock button, then the doors would first lock, then unlock(i'll go confirm this).

Having the peg down is also a way of keeping people from unlocking your doors with the window down since you're moving the locking/unlocking portion from the handle. you would have to reach through the car to unlock the doors, or double pull...in either instance it would bring you greater reaction time than some reaching to the same place and unlocking and opening doors. It would take amazing coordination to unlock a bmw from the outside with the windows all the way down even...you might as well jump in the car if that is the case.
Appreciate 0