Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

10-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #133
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
I just want you all to know my wife has been reading this thread and the comments may be getting to her head
You should ban... forbid her from coming in here.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #134
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I did, back in 2009 when he was almost 6. Had one more lap to go in an evening session so I told my wife it was a now or never moment. Both she and my son hopped in the car and away we went.

After about 10 corners she was a little pale and kept asking if we can get out now. And I was driving in guest mode, helpfully pointing out corners, castles, features and whatnot.

All this time my son was whooping in delight, and kept egging me on to go faster daddy on the racetrack. He was laughing with glee and generally having the time of his life.

That's my boy, brought a tear to my eye remembering all this.

But seriously just make sure the child seat is really secure and not moving around because the car most definitely will. And of course, keep your eyes peeled and be prudent.
Thank you for your response.

I think I will take the family on one lap when I do my euro delivery!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #135
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
You should ban... forbid her from coming in here.
I need to get her set up with her own username!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #136
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I need to get her set up with her own username!
Ooops lol
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #137
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I forgive you for only staying one day in my hometown of Brugge.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #138
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

I like the fact that there are both manuals! Keep the spirit alive. Enjoy them in good health and have safe travels.

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #139
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I forgive you for only staying one day in my hometown of Brugge.

That would be our travel ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
I like the fact that there are both manuals! Keep the spirit alive. Enjoy them in good health and have safe travels.

Congrats!
Thanks! Hopefully our 2 manuals offset an auto out there and then some. Though I doubt it. Reminds me of the "for every animal you don't eat, I'll eat three"
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #140
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Thanks for sharing! Keep preaching (and practicing) the manual gospel!
Absolutely! I have been thinking about teaching people to drive manuals with a beater. I think it would be cool to do something like that on a volunteer basis.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #141
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Absolutely! I have been thinking about teaching people to drive manuals with a beater. I think it would be cool to do something like that on a volunteer basis.
That is a great idea! If you have the time you could possibly set up some type of website and a network of such people, we really do need to spread the manual fever before its too late and they are all gone!

Your shirts gave me the idea to get a friend (my best female friend that drives a highly modified and paid off Civic Si sedan) a "save the manuals" vinyl sticker as a gift. She has a few tasteful stickers on her car, heck even if she just put it on her toolbox in the garage she would still love it.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #142
budman
///M driver
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E46 325

Euro Delivery with a run on Nurburgring.. the best way to accept your new ///M's!!

Thanks for sharing over on GJ.
      11-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #143
bmoneystatus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Hey Accel Junky,

I was thinking about doing this same trip, similar route this time next year. More specifically October 7-21.

I'm assuming you didn't need winter tires yet since I don't think you mentioned it.

Also, I've heard they start closing down palaces, tourist stops, roads in the third week of October. Did you find this to be the case?

Any tips or advice would be great!

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #144
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Euro Delivery with a run on Nurburgring.. the best way to accept your new ///M's!!

Thanks for sharing over on GJ.
An amazing experience we'll never forget! Thanks for reading

I hope I can fix up my garage to be worthy of these beautiful cars. I've been lurking hard on GJ for years dreaming of my own garage and then dreaming of a bigger garage and now dreaming of finishing this garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoneystatus View Post
Hey Accel Junky,

I was thinking about doing this same trip, similar route this time next year. More specifically October 7-21.

I'm assuming you didn't need winter tires yet since I don't think you mentioned it.

Also, I've heard they start closing down palaces, tourist stops, roads in the third week of October. Did you find this to be the case?

Any tips or advice would be great!

We didn't see a lick of snow near any roads we were on. The weather was actually very mild. I did not see it coming...thought for sure we would run into some trouble on the mountain passes. I have heard of closings of the nurburgring and many passes for the winter. I think some are late Oct and some are early Nov. You will definitely want to double check all of that. Also, some passes are closes at certain times of the day. For example, the Grossglockner High Alpine Road is a toll road and does not open until a certain time in the morning and closes maybe 6 or 7pm depending on the season. Fortunately that info is on the official website.

My biggest piece of advice is to plan everything carefully. I had a schedule for every day with addresses, times, etc... to shoot for so we could do it all. Of course, we were in quite a rush to pull off everything in this trip. Maybe a longer stay would be advisable. Make sure you get your international drivers license from AAA if you are going through Austria and you can buy the Austrian highway vignette for your windshield in advance online and take it with you which will save a trip and fumbling with translations to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #145
bmoneystatus
Private
Rep

Quote:
An amazing experience we'll never forget! Thanks for reading

I hope I can fix up my garage to be worthy of these beautiful cars. I've been lurking hard on GJ for years dreaming of my own garage and then dreaming of a bigger garage and now dreaming of finishing this garage.

We didn't see a lick of snow near any roads we were on. The weather was actually very mild. I did not see it coming...thought for sure we would run into some trouble on the mountain passes. I have heard of closings of the nurburgring and many passes for the winter. I think some are late Oct and some are early Nov. You will definitely want to double check all of that. Also, some passes are closes at certain times of the day. For example, the Grossglockner High Alpine Road is a toll road and does not open until a certain time in the morning and closes maybe 6 or 7pm depending on the season. Fortunately that info is on the official website.

My biggest piece of advice is to plan everything carefully. I had a schedule for every day with addresses, times, etc... to shoot for so we could do it all. Of course, we were in quite a rush to pull off everything in this trip. Maybe a longer stay would be advisable. Make sure you get your international drivers license from AAA if you are going through Austria and you can buy the Austrian highway vignette for your windshield in advance online and take it with you which will save a trip and fumbling with translations to buy one.
Awesome, thanks for the all the advice. Last question: any resources/websites you suggest looking into while planning the trip? Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #146
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the all the advice. Last question: any resources/websites you suggest looking into while planning the trip? Thanks again!
No prob. As far as resources for ED...BimmerFest (I hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning other forums) has the best ED forum around. You will find a wealth of info there.

If you are going through Austria, save some time by buying the vignette in advance: http://www.tolltickets.com/country/a...spx?lang=en-GB

Took a couple of weeks for it to come to GA so plan ahead.

Also, look into sim cards or roaming and see what the cost will be so you can have your phone data available for emergencies (for looking up stuff or navigating). In Switzerland I just went to the Swisscom store in the ZRH airport and for 20 euro or so I had a data plan for the weekend. In Germany I used a Blau sim and paid for the 30 day data plan and I can tell you their service isn't that good.

You'll need to unlock your phone first (a GSM phone). If you are subsidizing the phone through your plan they may not unlock your phone. AT&T unlocked my phone via their unlock website because I paid cash for the phone but they would not unlock my wife's because it was her upgrade last year and that was still contract-locked.

I also planned all of my routes in advance using Google maps and created an itinerary chart with all of the info and addresses I needed per day. I printed the Google maps routes between each segment so I could have printed backups if the navs failed (helped me once when my nav kept boot looping and freezing).

A lot of the info I found in advance was just from Googling stuff. There are dedicated websites for the Grossglockner, Nurburgring and all that stuff that will give you opening times and seasons and whatnot.

The Nurburgring schedule I went by was this one: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/calendar.php

Opening/closing times for Grossglockner high alpine road: http://www.grossglockner.at/en/service/

As far as accommodations, I researched heavily with TripAdvisor as well as the reviews on Booking.com. I booked through Booking as well as Expedia...just whatever was cheapest between the major booking sites.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #147
bmoneystatus
Private
Rep

Quote:
No prob. As far as resources for ED...BimmerFest (I hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning other forums) has the best ED forum around. You will find a wealth of info there.

If you are going through Austria, save some time by buying the vignette in advance: http://www.tolltickets.com/country/a...spx?lang=en-GB

Took a couple of weeks for it to come to GA so plan ahead.

Also, look into sim cards or roaming and see what the cost will be so you can have your phone data available for emergencies (for looking up stuff or navigating). In Switzerland I just went to the Swisscom store in the ZRH airport and for 20 euro or so I had a data plan for the weekend. In Germany I used a Blau sim and paid for the 30 day data plan and I can tell you their service isn't that good.

You'll need to unlock your phone first (a GSM phone). If you are subsidizing the phone through your plan they may not unlock your phone. AT&T unlocked my phone via their unlock website because I paid cash for the phone but they would not unlock my wife's because it was her upgrade last year and that was still contract-locked.

I also planned all of my routes in advance using Google maps and created an itinerary chart with all of the info and addresses I needed per day. I printed the Google maps routes between each segment so I could have printed backups if the navs failed (helped me once when my nav kept boot looping and freezing).

A lot of the info I found in advance was just from Googling stuff. There are dedicated websites for the Grossglockner, Nurburgring and all that stuff that will give you opening times and seasons and whatnot.

The Nurburgring schedule I went by was this one: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/calendar.php

Opening/closing times for Grossglockner high alpine road: http://www.grossglockner.at/en/service/

As far as accommodations, I researched heavily with TripAdvisor as well as the reviews on Booking.com. I booked through Booking as well as Expedia...just whatever was cheapest between the major booking sites.
Wow, thanks for the wealth of information. Seems like a lot of leg work, but I'm sure it'll all be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #148
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the wealth of information. Seems like a lot of leg work, but I'm sure it'll all be worth it.
Yes, done right you are going to spend dozens and dozens of hours planning and prepping. All depends on how you want your trip to go I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #149
Marckymarc305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Last night in Atlanta, saw this M3 white/manual and a girl driving it. Had to stop and tell her a few word on how nice your car is, at the end finding out its her from this post, nice lady and couple getting two M3. Lucky I have a chance to read this post and have a chance to meet her.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2