XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

How to remove stock tips on 35i for Akrapovic tips

Just got my Akrapovic exhaust tips from fellow forum member(BadblkX6). Very nice and honest member. Highly recommend if he decides to sell any more of his things. But as i was going to install my tips, it was required i take my stock ones off. The 3 examples that the manual showed me were not like mine. My stock dips were not held in by the screw it said it had. Where the screw was said to be, mine was empty. This leads me to the question, are my stock tips welded? though theres no weld marks anywhere, and if anyone has any idea on how to remove the stock tips (not cutting) please let me know. Akrapovic says they do not require any cutting of my stock tips, and im pretty sure they are right, unless mine is special some how.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by askylitdrive View Post
Just got my Akrapovic exhaust tips from fellow forum member(BadblkX6). Very nice and honest member. Highly recommend if he decides to sell any more of his things. But as i was going to install my tips, it was required i take my stock ones off. The 3 examples that the manual showed me were not like mine. My stock dips were not held in by the screw it said it had. Where the screw was said to be, mine was empty. This leads me to the question, are my stock tips welded? though theres no weld marks anywhere, and if anyone has any idea on how to remove the stock tips (not cutting) please let me know. Akrapovic says they do not require any cutting of my stock tips, and im pretty sure they are right, unless mine is special some how.

Thanks!
They may be rivited on. If so you need to remove the rivits.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
They don't look like they have rivits

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=18&fg=20

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So what do you think? The akrapovic manual says the stock ones are bolted/screwed on, but where theres suppose to be a screw, theres nothing but a hole for a screw... if you get what i mean. i saw on some post for another bimmer, not X6 35i, that he put a wood inbetween the tips and gave it a hammer :idk:
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
They look friction fit. You could try using some WD40 on the inside between the pipe and where the tip slip on to lube and use a rubber glove for some grip and pull them off...ya doesn't sound like tools for exhaust, but may work LOL!

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
did you see this?

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556682

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
They look friction fit. You could try using some WD40 on the inside between the pipe and where the tip slip on to lube and use a rubber glove for some grip and pull them off...ya doesn't sound like tools for exhaust, but may work LOL!
Great idea! i think ill give that a try tomorrow in the morning. Maybe give BMW parts a call.
LMAO! ya i was so frustrated that i couldnt get them off before, i was willing to try anything...
ya ive seen those posts. Those ones actually needs to be cut, but the Akrapovic exhaust tips, you just have to remove stock tips and glove over them, no motification needed.
Thanks for the reply on
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by askylitdrive View Post

Thanks!
Hey!

You should have messaged me that you weren't sure how to put them on! I was just checking the forums and saw this.

I originally wondering the same thing when i first got them. How do you remove the stock chrome tips? You are correct, there are no bolts/screws/rivots/or welds.

What you need to do, with two hands is put both hands on the tailpipe and twist the tips off. As you turn, pull towards your body. So for the passenger exhaust tip, you will want to turn counter clockwise (i am pretty sure) and pull towards you. You will want to turn clockwise on the driver side. It takes a little shimmy'ing and pulling, but they will slide right off.

So ideally, when looking at the stock tip, you will want to turn/twist the outside of the tip towards the inside of the vehicle.

Hope this helps and enjoy the tips!

Feel free to PM/email/post up here if you have any other questions!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblkX6 View Post
Hey!

You should have messaged me that you weren't sure how to put them on! I was just checking the forums and saw this.

I originally wondering the same thing when i first got them. How do you remove the stock chrome tips? You are correct, there are no bolts/screws/rivots/or welds.

What you need to do, with two hands is put both hands on the tailpipe and twist the tips off. As you turn, pull towards your body. So for the passenger exhaust tip, you will want to turn counter clockwise (i am pretty sure) and pull towards you. You will want to turn clockwise on the driver side. It takes a little shimmy'ing and pulling, but they will slide right off.

So ideally, when looking at the stock tip, you will want to turn/twist the outside of the tip towards the inside of the vehicle.

Hope this helps and enjoy the tips!

Feel free to PM/email/post up here if you have any other questions!
Hey bdblkx6!

I didnt want to trouble you, not sure if you had that problem so i just took it to the forum! Great forum, very helpful members
But I took them off today after reading your post! You REALLY have to shimmy the exhaust tip while turning. I started with the one on my passenger side first, and i took me 20 mins just trying to get it off! The drivers side one took me 5 mins, once i got the hang of it.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

Now, where's the pics?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshaq20 View Post
Now, where's the pics?
what do you want to see? the exhaust with the new tips or of them removed?
Appreciate 0