E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328xi wagon in the snow

12-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #23
Speedwagon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Different temps, different tires, only about 1/2 inch of snow, and the fact that car has LSD and 328 doesn't. I was actually able to even climb a small short hill on the driveway too. (Well not that small, 5 month later I am still recovering from a twisted ankle that I got there)

I can sure tell a difference between my 335i and S2k, so much more traction at rear wheels

Now I can only speculate, but imaging having Xdrive with no center diff, and 2 open f/r diffs vs active center and 2 f/r LSDs. By specs, the difference should be dramatic. I wish some magazine would run a test in equal environment with same snow tires with many different AWD systems. But for now I can only rely on specs.
Not Bad !

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #24
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

it is odd that is will sit and spin both rear tires.

i suppose an s2000 has near 50/50 weight distribustion. as does an e90(a 328 a little closer).

in fact, my car will spin both tires with traction control completely off with one tire on the grass, one on pavement. LSD? maybe. am going to jack up the back end one day and spin the wheels to find out.
although a good, brand new all season will be quite adequate in alot of snowy conditions, it comes down to this:

tires.

Quote:
Different temps, different tires, only about 1/2 inch of snow, and the fact that car has LSD and 328 doesn't. I was actually able to even climb a small short hill on the driveway too. (Well not that small, 5 month later I am still recovering from a twisted ankle that I got there)

I can sure tell a difference between my 335i and S2k, so much more traction at rear wheels

Now I can only speculate, but imaging having Xdrive with no center diff, and 2 open f/r diffs vs active center and 2 f/r LSDs. By specs, the difference should be dramatic. I wish some magazine would run a test in equal environment with same snow tires with many different AWD systems. But for now I can only rely on specs.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
Not Bad !

everyone and their moms know its staged. there are no rollers in real life. torque sensing diffs need friction to work. (not to mention other tricks that could possibly effect the results)

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 12-11-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

just got an 07 and cant wait to try it out!

this is a great post for the snow tire discussion.... thinking about getting a set of winter wheels and tires...

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #27
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
everyone and their moms know its staged. there are no rollers in real life. torque sensing diffs need friction to work. (not to mention other tricks that could possibly effect the results)
Oh? The q5 has a torsen center diff and a 'sport diff' on the rear axle (regular open+EDL on the front). In theory, it should be sufficient to immobilize the car that all but one rear wheel are free, since the car can't divert more than 80% (I think) to the rear, and of that, there's no full lockup on the rear diff to put it to the one wheel. I THINK that it's actually sufficient to have one wheel on each axle free.

On xdrive, no trouble. Computer senses all wheels spinning w.r.t. the one rear, fuly slides the clutch to the rear and brakes the free wheel to send 100% torque minus losses to the one good wheel.

The idea here is that BMW 'cheated' by picking one very specific situation in which xdrive is advantageous and focusing on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #28
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

q5 probably only has torsen in the center just like most other Audis

PS. just wanted to add....AWD is AWD, Xdrive in BMW, Haldex in Volvo, Quattro in Audi....all are capable of amazing stuff compared to FWD and RWD cars. All can dig through piles of snow and climb hills. I bought A4 because I was amazed to see how Volvo climbed ice hill in front of me, I later realized that AWD is useless where I live. (unless you are buying it for performance benefits)

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 12-11-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #29
Speedwagon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sportwagon

Quote:
I guess it could have been staged for BMW. I don't know what you meant by that statement, but I did see the BMW jump off the rollers quickly. I don't think you would every be on a surface that would be that free of fiction on all wheels at the same time! Do you think it was unfair to the other brands?
Appreciate 0