BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Mrrat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35I Msport

WTB - OEM rear tires 245-35-18 re050a RFT

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I'm interested in buying a set of rear OEM Runflats in good shape.
255s could be ok as well. Not interested in patched or damaged tires.
I'm in the NY metro area if an in person transaction is desired. I may go to the dark side and buy a set of pilot super sports if I don't find anything decent in the next week or so.
Thanks.. Cary

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

The dark side?? It's more like the light. Have you ever ran anything but run-flats? I'm on my second set of super sports, 265 in the rear. Ditch the run-craps. You'll be asking yourself why you didn't do it earlier. The grip on the PSS is sick. If you car is stock then i guess it wont matter as much. If your modded, its night and day. Trust me bro...I've made bongs with less!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Mrrat
United_States
Rep

I'm stock... I'm an old guy so I don't really like the possibility of stranding me or the wife with a flat. I'm pretty hard core as I've done track events and driving school. I've also seemed to have wiped out the inner edges of the rears in 5,000 miles of pretty hard running. I do like the sharp response of the Runflats and there is plenty of cornering grip.
I don't like how I get what I call "deflection steer" over bumps. The car is fun but the stock suspension is pretty flawed. The 1m is likely properly sorted and I suspect replacing the rft spec'ed bushings front and rear, with the m aluminum control arms, and shocks would set things right (along with the pilot sports). What bugs me is the cost, my "old" g37 coupe sport did not have this issue and had LSD as well, just a little more stupid looking and had no torque, and no easy way to tweak performance out of it ( and I wanted a convertible :-) )
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

If your running stock then run-flats will suffice. I hear you on the "stranded" angle as well.

I'm not much of a cornering/handling guy. I don't track my car that way. My MO, is straight-line drags (20-40 rolls). The biggest issue with this car, has always been trying to control it's "wobbly-ass" under WOT. I'm not subscribed to the school of easing on the throttle, either (Ricky Bobby Style).

PSS's have been the answer to my power/steering issues. I'm almost at full mods + meth (minus a FMIC and exhaust). This thing sticks to the road like it's nobody's business.

Comes down to what you're looking for and how you run you're car. Performance wise, however, I personally don't see how stock run-flats can out perform PSS's.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Mrrat
United_States
Rep

Well... If you're not first you're last...
I do like the car and the v8 like torque suits me fine although I'd like more pull up top... Not sure if downpipes would take care of that. I don't want to dump a lot of $$$ into this car that I'll never get back. So extensive suspensions mods are not in the picture... Still I like the idea of more stick, less impact harshness, and better wear for less $$$...
Appreciate 0