E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dealer discounts

03-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #23
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Yes, they always tell me that they paid a certain amount for the used car, which turns out to be about 500 quid less than they are asking, so there is no way they can discount it further. But who is going to buy a used car for about the same amount as a new one, expecially when the new one will have the 'Edition' package?
You would be surprised by the gullibility of the British public.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Will E9x dealer discounts return

Common Girls and Guys, what is your opinion on the likely consequences of the credit crunch on E9x prices?

It is quite apparent that BMW UK were trying to drive up the margins on new vehicles by halting discounting over the last 3 months. Will this now backfire big time? It will be interesting to watch, as there is little doubt that the fall in liquidity in the financial markets will have a knock on effect to aspirational purchasers requiring loans for their cars and the lease companies liquidity.

PS, bloke pointed out to me yesterday that I had a screw in the sidewall of my tyre Thought oh f@@k it is bank holiday weekend , I will never get it replaced. Anyhow took it in for a Kwik Fit bodge near work and nearly keeled over in shock. They had Bridgestone Potenza R050 RFT's in stock. 40 minutes later I was on my way with a new 225/40 R17 (W rating) on the front nearside rim with no rim damage and the tyre properly inflated.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #25
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
According to a friend (who happens to be a BMW business manager), there are no plans to re introduce discounts. Any dealer found to be sourcing a lease company or broker with larger than allowed discounts, could have their BMW franchise revoked!

Was chatting to my lease guy last week (about my possible GTR next year ) and he was saying he has not leased a BMW for 3 months!! No discounts = No deals

Surely there will be a big enough drop in sales to encourage the discounts again? Who knows, but I dont think you will see a heavily discounted Beemer soon
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 04:12 AM   #26
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

Look at the Euro exchange rate at Euro 1.28 to £1.00, compared to 4 months ago at 1.54 to £1.00. With the current strength of the Euro, BMW are now getting about 16% less for each car sold in the UK now. I would not expect to see any massive discounts with exchange rates as they are, unless BMW decide to take the lower price to maintain sales volume.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #27
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kend View Post
Look at the Euro exchange rate at Euro 1.28 to £1.00, compared to 4 months ago at 1.54 to £1.00. With the current strength of the Euro, BMW are now getting about 16% less for each car sold in the UK now. I would not expect to see any massive discounts with exchange rates as they are, unless BMW decide to take the lower price to maintain sales volume.

A very interesting and valid point for cars made in the euro zone but not valid for the likes of the X5 which is USA built (but at least the engines made at Hams Hall will be cheaper for the euro zone as well as the Mini). There could be a double whammy here for BMW, what with the higher taxation on the high-end (non X5)most profitable large engined cars!

So far then it looking like a price freeze. Jaguar must be rubbing there hands with glee as the new XF will have the exchange rate advantage to add to its glowing press reports.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #28
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
At the moment some Scottish dealers are contributing a few £K as a dealer deposit. Surely this must equate to a discount from list price?
      03-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #29
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
At the moment some Scottish dealers are contributing a few £K as a dealer deposit. Surely this must equate to a discount from list price?
Yep, but it hits them rather than BMW, so no comeback. Talked to my dealer a few weeks ago. He said the people with big money are still buying but that both the used market and the buyers needing finance for their Beemers have largely dried up.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #30
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Think you've made some valid comments Jason. Could the lack of discounts be caused by the fact that BMW have either reduced or withdrawn the dealer supplement? This being the case, combined with falling sales, dealer margins would be dramatically reduced if discounts were offered.

I strongly believe BMW's tactics will backfire. Example that springs to mind is a guy I know has a lease 530d (08) engine and has unfortunately experienced turbo failure and ECU failure! As a necessary company car, he has lost faith in the car and the brand and has requested that the lease company terminate the lease. "Certainly Sir" they said "however, we will require an additional 3k from you as the residual value of the vehicle is below predicted value"! His son has a leased 520d on which he also wants to terminate the lease. This is not a problem as the expected residuals of the 520d are still holding strong. I blame the Govt.!

Glad you got your tyre sorted so quickly.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #31
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
A good point in there. Looking at values after 3 years in the likes of Autoexpress and WhatCar... the trend seems to be that its the most economical models/engines that hold their value slightly more than the models with less mpg. I guess the 520d is regarded as "more desirable" than the 530d.
      03-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #32
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Here is a main dealer offering a 13.5% discount by the back door - its advertised on a specific E91, but is reads to me like they may do this across the range as they're trying to hit targets. If they can give the £1000 finance discount on top this would represent a 17.5% discount on the 318i in question.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/437298.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #33
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Here is a main dealer offering a 13.5% discount by the back door - its advertised on a specific E91, but is reads to me like they may do this across the range as they're trying to hit targets. If they can give the £1000 finance discount on top this would represent a 17.5% discount on the 318i in question.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/437298.htm
Good spot, I bet BMW UK give them a when they find out
      03-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #34
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

This is the ad - I've put in bold why this gives the impression its not necessarily a one off. Mind, given its a post box red 318i with no leather it may actually have been around a long time getting rusty discs at Thorne and BMW GB just wanted rid.

---------------

100 miles £22,195
Thank you for taking the time to view this Cooper Maidstone advertisement.

The car below is a vehicle we have pre-registered to help us hit our target for the first quarter. It comes with the full balance of its 3 year BMW warranty & road side recovery and will have ''delivery miles'' only.
E91 318i M Sport Touring N46 2.0
Crimson Red
Blue Shadow Cloth/Alcantara Anthracite
Bluetooth phone prep

Cost new £25660, our price £22195

We are a fully franchised BMW dealer (not an agent or a broker) but our agreement with BMW GB prevents us from advertising these cars in the press or on our internet site.

You will be able to come to our showroom and view these cars exactly the same way as if you were buying a brand new car, except, we can offer you exceptional savings against new prices with these cars.

We will still be able to arrange finance and would welcome any part exchange you might have.

We regret that we cannot sell these cars to a broker or 3rd party and will have to register the car in your name. The prices you see are on the road with no hidden extras and include the balance of 6 months road tax from date of registration.

Please call our showroom or click the e-mail link before travelling to view these cars to make sure the vehicle is still available.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #35
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
A good point in there. Looking at values after 3 years in the likes of Autoexpress and WhatCar... the trend seems to be that its the most economical models/engines that hold their value slightly more than the models with less mpg. I guess the 520d is regarded as "more desirable" than the 530d.
With the exception of niche vehicles that is possibly true of most cars in the current climate. That may well even out though as more people used to large petrol engines switch to diesel because they may not be too happy with going back to four cylinders. Those figures are always based on estimates of past trends not necessarily future ones which are obviously unknown at this point, so the impact of taxation changes for next year and beyond is still to be established.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 07:20 AM   #36
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
330d Depreciation

Guys,

I have read this thread with interest.

Just a few weeks back I was considering trading in my well spec'd 330d Auto for a 335d Coupe - equally well spec'd. Mine was an ex demo with 7K (56 plate registered Dec 06) on the clock.
List with all the extras was £38750.
I paid £28500 Feb 07 when it was 3 months old.
It had been advertised at £33950 and just reduced to £32950 -a good deal, or so it would seem.

I have however been offered only £23000 as a trade in with 25K on the clock at Synter Nottingham. If my calcs are correct that's about 40% depreciation for a premium car that's only 15 months old. OK the milage is fairly high and nobody in their right mind would have paid the list for it anyway but the words "eyes and out" spring to mind - They did agree it would be SOLD for circa £26500 (probably advertised for £27500) - that's £3500 for a valet!

By the way the advertised 335d Coupe M Sport (57 with 3K on clock) was listed at £41000 - I pointed out to the dealer that it was over priced. Synter agreed and slashed £3K off after some benchmarking against other dealer prices?????

Am I being too harsh in that I don't expect a dealer to take my trade in for a handsome profit and sell me an overpriced car too.

I sent them a nice customer focused e-mail and to date have heard nothing back...........................

Has anyone else had a recent similar experience?

Last edited by PhilR; 03-31-2008 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #37
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

PhilR

If you paid £28500 at a dealer for your 330d (saloon?) in Feb 07, then it hasn't lost that much if they are going to list it now at approx £27500. Makes you wonder if they only paid £25k for it trade last year - doesn't seem right!!

If you assume 19% p.a. depreciation, which is not far off - your figures seem about right - if anything you got it quite cheap last year. Near £38k, you can assume upto 17% discount was available, hence £31.5k new. After 3 months, its trade value at 19% depreciation would be around £29k (knocking off +£1k more than 19% p.a. for the 'not new' factor) - hence you seem to have got it cheaply.

At 1.4 years old (now), its worth around £23.7k at the same rate.

You should add the dealer margin to these figures, which makes your price last year look quite good.

What are they asking you for the 335d (assume well under the 41k list, and much more than 3k under)? Assuming a 10% discount off list (to 37k) and its 3 months old you'd be looking at £35k as a target price.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #38
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
My point exactly AJD.

I think I got a good deal when the 330d was only 3 months old (£10K cheaper than list new) and therefore was expecting to trade it in for around £25K to £26K to move up to a 335d Coupe and take advantage of the fact that it had had only depreciated sligthly on what I actually paid for it. The 335d Coupe was fully loaded and Synter re advertsied at £38K after I pointed out it was grossly overpriced in the first place (£41K)

Because of the insulting trade offered and their own admission it would appear on the forecourt at £27500 (some £4500 more than what they offered me) I told the saleman that he needed to wake up and smell the coffee.

I guess Synter BMW are used to customers turning up and getting fleeced with their trade in? I am commercially aware (due to my profession) and it makes the hairs on my back stand up when someone is trying to take the preverbial as blatantly as this.

I have decided to keep the 330d for another 6 months (got it re-mapped a couple of weeks ago to about 275ps) and then test the waters again for an 08 / 58 ex demo.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #39
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

you got a pretty good deal, in reality it's only dropped £2k from the price you bought it if they sell it at £26.5k

You should sort the costs out in your head, there is depreciation in this case of £2k which is excellent and there is the one off trade in cost of £3.5k which seems quite high but that might be the only profit the dealer makes if they give you the 335D at a cheap price.

I tend to look at autotrader.co.uk and that tells me what to expect, what figures do you get on there if you look for cars at comparible spec?

If you think the dealer is taking the P then try another, if you can't get better prices then that's just the market value and how much that big glass dealer building costs to run
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #40
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

To be honest, I'd try and sell it at 24.5k privately now, but be prepared to take only 24k for a quick sale. If you can get away with only 4k p.a. loss on lets face it a near as damn it new 330d I think you're doing very very well - these things depreciate, and its rate of loss won't slow down much from this for the next 4 years or so (so next owner will be looking at losing 4k p.a. too for an older car!). Whilst it may seem hard to believe now, once they are getting to 4-5 years old a typical E9x 330d with highish miles be worth under 10k (look at E46s!).

Have you tried offering 34-35k for the 335d if they'll only give 23.5k? You can take the p as well you know! Its all a game - as long as they're making a profit (which they still will be), whats the harm in asking! Make it clear you're serious to deal and let them think about it!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #41
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the advice.

I did tell the dealer I thought I was the only party being serious about the deal and he wasn't taking me seriously. Think I came accross a bit too aggressive and pi$$ed him off in the end. I wouldn't even discuss the asking price of the 335d in detail until I was happy with the trade in for mine - that's the trap the dealer wants you to fall into. The gleaming overpriced show room car with a decent reduction on offer diverting your attention away from the crap tade in on offer. Business is business and I ain't getting fleeced.

I have decided to stick with the 330d for the time being and will have another look in 6 months time. Just got a remap and enjoying this at the moment plus it's still a fine machine.

I did check out auto trader adverts for 330d's and the trade prices varied enormously - the cheapest I found with sat nav and same spec as mine was £30K although was an 07 but done 17.5K - that's around 6 months newer and 9K less miles. Most of the 330d's on a 56 or 07 didn't have the sat nav and many extras and were £25K to £29K.

I am finding it hard to come to terms that a dealer would only value mine at around £24K (trade in) - 15 months old with 26K on the clock. I'm a valued customer and these guys should be bending over backwards to keep me coming back time and time gain.

Sorry for bleeting on again but.............

List new was over £38K - lets say market value would have been £34K new (nobody pays list) - Dealer says it's still lost around £10K in 15 months - that's a whopping 30%. Never in a month of Sundays would I trade it in for that loss - I know I got a cracking deal when I bought it (had to work hard for this too) and not willing to throw the capital away.

Last edited by PhilR; 04-02-2008 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #42
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

from your last post you seem to be thinking to much about the actual values of the car you are trading and the car you are buying, put it like this if I offered you £5000 for your old car and £7000 for the new one would you turn my offer down because of the stupid value I've offered you on your old one?

Price to change is the only thing that matters,

So based on that when you bought your car last year did you have a trade in?

What does Glass's guide value your car at? I think you can check it on the AA website
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #43
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

You can get a valuation from

http://www.glass.co.uk/

but it's not free. The only values that matter for the trade are Glass and CAP Black Book (and you can't get a CAP valuation unless you are in the trade), not sure if the AA one will be the same, although it could be. These values are lower than the ones you can get from other places such as http://www.parkers.co.uk/

Having said that I got an offer from a dealer which is around the Parkers valuation rather than Glass's valuation on the SLK55, so it's not an exact science.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #44
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Guys

I see your point and know where you are coming from. I will try Parkers / Glass in 6 months time - then I can wave it under the dealers nose when it really is worth £23K and he offers me £20K - LOL

I'll explain a little more so you can see where I am coming from.

Didn't have a trade when I bought the 330d - put down a big deposit though.

Doing my research and looking at other 330d's on sale in delaers suggested my valuation of around £26K to £27K was about right. The coupe I fancied was up for £41K - way too high and then reduced to £38K to align with other dealers similar spec 335d's - after I pointed this out - but still over priced at £38K - they wouldn't move on this (just reduced it by £3K) and still offered below par for mine. LOSE...LOSE from my point of view. Had Sytner been prepared to sell the Coupe for say £35K then I could have offset this against the £24K offered for my trade. But no they wanted to make on my trade and sell the 335d at sticker price too. New Reg was just out and I thought they may have been more receptive to a DEAL.....Obviosuly not.

I only started looking cos I was bored one afternoon and ended up geting into a heated debate with the dealer - lol

Last edited by PhilR; 04-02-2008 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0