E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Too Cold for Lux???

12-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Too Cold for Lux???

Hi All,
I am from Canada so it gets cold here. Yesterday I drove the car 2 hours on the highway; it was around -20 celcius. The headlight washers would not come out and spray, only the windshield washers would work.

Got to my destination, parked the car for 8 hours or so. Started it up drove to my hotel and got a bulb error when I put my car in park. Went out to look and saw that the Lux 5.1 was out on my drivers side. Passenger side works well but the drivers is totally out.

Plus, on top of that, now my headlights don't turn with the wheel.

I plan to open up the wheel well when I get home to see what is up.

Anyone have similar problems with Lux going in low temperatures?

Do I just need to park the car in a heated garage and expect everything to work again?

How easy is it to get a new Lux bulb if my driver side has truly died?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
LEDs work better when they are cold. Heat will decrease output. It's probably just coincidence they went out. How old are they?

That's why there are beefy heatsinks on our LED units.

I just sent in my weisslicht passenger side unit for a warranty swap.....it worked intermittently then it completely died.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious_ View Post
Hi All,
I am from Canada so it gets cold here. Yesterday I drove the car 2 hours on the highway; it was around -20 celcius. The headlight washers would not come out and spray, only the windshield washers would work.

Got to my destination, parked the car for 8 hours or so. Started it up drove to my hotel and got a bulb error when I put my car in park. Went out to look and saw that the Lux 5.1 was out on my drivers side. Passenger side works well but the drivers is totally out.

Do I just need to park the car in a heated garage and expect everything to work again?

Thanks in advance
This is actually great news for me. Guess the fuse is linked between the Xenon low beam and adaptive headlight module!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance
please keep me updated on this, i want to see if the LUX has any relation to the problem you are having.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
please keep me updated on this, i want to see if the LUX has any relation to the problem you are having.
Sure thing Marc, I plan to get under the car on Thursday to see the condition of the Lux lights.

I bought the lights from a (reputible) E90post member used. I have had them on the car 2 months and the original owner had them on for approx 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
c_rob85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07' 328I

I just put some brand new 5.1's on my E90, and will definitely expose it to some cool temps as well although probably not as cool as it will be in Calgary, lol. I will keep an eye on this as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Quote:
Sure thing Marc, I plan to get under the car on Thursday to see the condition of the Lux lights.

I bought the lights from a (reputible) E90post member used. I have had them on the car 2 months and the original owner had them on for approx 3 months.
Send me a message with your cell number. I have a few ideas for you if they are not working. Also, are they LUX H8 or the LUX 5.0's
Appreciate 0