F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Siri Integration for BMW Cars Just Announced by Apple
ARMA SPEED

06-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #67
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

I'm eager to this new function.

However, i have the voice control button on my steering wheel but this function is not active. Will I be able to use this new function once I have ios6?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #68
Pexner
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i msport

Siri

Ha....Siri, engage m drive....stuff is going to be texted that is so wrongly spelt
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #69
mhaghighi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition package

office feature?

will it finally work? i mean what is the point of Siri if the existing office and message feature doesnt work with iphone when entire idrive seems to be iphone driven
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #70
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve29 View Post
They also announced that turn by turn directions will be available with iOS6. This means that I really don't need a nav system. What do some of you techies that understand all of this think?
You still need a Nav system for best experience. I know a lot of people here like to brag about how they saved $2K, and just use their iPhone/Android. But neither of those are going to allow for Heads Up Display like what is integrated with the F30s. When it comes to finding POIs (i.e. locate the nearest Taco Bell), the smart phones can be quite a better. But if you're looking for a standard street address, it is hard to beat the OEM nav integration.

Not to mention, the size of a 3.5"-4" screen vs 8.8" of the OEM nav makes a big difference in general readability. I think fooling with the phone while driving is a huge distraction, and the less the better.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #71
yellowllewellyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmax
I see few here already have set up Siri to work in BMW and also I have integrated Siri in my BMW. Question now is should BMW at least thank us for using our idea for their future profit.
How did you set it up?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #72
feaganszhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP

awesome!!!
      06-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #73
carve29
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2003 M3, 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowllewellyn
Quote:
I see few here already have set up Siri to work in BMW and also I have integrated Siri in my BMW. Question now is should BMW at least thank us for using our idea for their future profit.
How did you set it up?
Maybe some are over stating current Siri integration. I think all people mean is that their iPhone is paired. Once you are paired, when you hit Siri, the car microphone and sound system is how you use her. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #74
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Ok enough with the anti-Apple or Apple-vs-Android trolling. This thread is about Siri integration into BMWs.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #75
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sedan

Everytime a bunch of new gigs are introduced into a car, that are not related to driving dynamics, some of the driving dynamics elements will likely be ignored. That ultimately leads to the manufacture to abandon such ignored elements in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #76
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I think that we are over thinking this. Siri already works over Bluetooth with many Bluetooth headsets. All you do is press and hold and talk button on the headset and it activates the built in voice command/dial functionality. In the case of the iPhone this triggers Siri. The only reason this doesn't already work in our BMWs is that BMW tried to get fancy and have their own voice command system. This may have been a good idea back in the day when everyone had a "dumb phone", but with smartphones it makes more sense to defer to the phone itself. In other words, I bet they could get this working right now if they just got out of their own way, disabled their own voice system, and made their Bluetooth implementation function more like a "dumb" $30 headset. Lets leave cars to car makers and advanced AI and voice control software to software companies like Apple or Google. :-)

Last edited by asus389; 06-12-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #77
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
I think that we are over thinking this. Siri already works over Bluetooth with many Bluetooth headsets. All you do is press and hold and talk button on the headset and it activates the built in voice command/dial functionality. In the case of the iPhone this triggers Siri. The only reason this doesn't already work in our BMWs is that BMW tried to get fancy and have their own voice command system. This may have been a good idea back in the day when everyone had a "dumb phone", but with smartphones it makes more sense to defer to the phone itself. In other words, I bet they could get this working right now if they just got out of their own way, disabled their own voice system, and made their Bluetooth implementation function more like a "dumb" $30 headset. Lets leave cars to car makers and advanced AI and voice control software to software companies like Apple or Google. :-)
True, but then you'd lose voice command of the car's functions, e.g. navigation, climate control, music, etc. I personally don't use voice control at all so I wouldn't miss it (though I never use Siri either), but I can see why BMW wouldn't just want to abandon voice control entirely -- plus, think of the outcry from non-iPhone users who would (rightfully) be pissed off that functionality on the car they paid for was being eliminated to support a feature that requires a phone they don't even have. No, I think updating the software so that saying "Siri" at the beginning or long-pressing the voice button redirects the command to the phone is the way to go.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #78
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuhBookGi View Post
...Jarvis?

That's freaking excellent!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #79
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowllewellyn
Quote:
How did you set it up?
iPhone 4s and Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #80
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
You're kidding me right? I can give you a list off the top of my head right now about iOS5 and all the issues the 4S has but I'll spare you and everyone else the drama.
      06-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #81
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
Apple products always look pretty and sounds fancy but do nothing special and just handcuff you. BMW needs to work on better android integration, have an app on the market that does all those features, android and maybe even ios users can install it and then they do not rely on apple. Nuance makes siri, already works with BMW and could easily integrate siri like functionality into idrive. Easy
coming from a "pc" guy.. makes sense...
      06-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #82
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Finally, sliced bread has some competition!

I thought this feature already existed. I know I don't use it much (I tried it out when I bought the phone and haven't used it since), but I thought my phone already has voice command. Does that feature stop working when one enters a car?

But maybe I'm mistaken and I'm confusing it with something I saw during my last alien abduction...???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #83
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Finally, sliced bread has some competition!

I thought this feature already existed. I know I don't use it much (I tried it out when I bought the phone and haven't used it since), but I thought my phone already has voice command. Does that feature stop working when one enters a car?

But maybe I'm mistaken and I'm confusing it with something I saw during my last alien abduction...???
Siri can work when connected to a car or any other Bluetooth handsfree profile device (and maybe headset), but cars that have their own voice recognition setup (like BMWs) don't pass what you say to your phone when you press the steering wheel button. The only way to get Siri working while paired with your car at the moment is to invoke her directly on the phone by holding the Home button, at which point she will hear you over Bluetooth through the car's mic (since she tells the car that you all of a sudden started a phone call). Obviously not ideal, but evidently that will be changing somehow.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0