BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
wolfe77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Question Meisterschaft GT.... drone?

Thinking of going with the Meisterschaft GT and I was curious if anyone who had experience could comment on drone. As in... is there any? Just the axleback system at this point and not mids or DPs. Any info would be appreciated. I hate drone and would like to avoid it if at all possible. Thanks!

BTW if there's an existing post on this, apologies. I did look, but didn't see anything specific to the GT with the rest of the exhaust left stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe77 View Post
Thinking of going with the Meisterschaft GT and I was curious if anyone who had experience could comment on drone. As in... is there any? Just the axleback system at this point and not mids or DPs. Any info would be appreciated. I hate drone and would like to avoid it if at all possible. Thanks! ...
I've got the Meisterschaft Touring HP (axle-back only) on my 135i MT and I'm very happy with it. Currently, it's got about 1400 miles and has opened up quite a bit, lovely sound! There is no drone, however, there is some bass resonance about 1800-2100 rpms when under load in higher gears, which I suspect all 3rd party systems are susceptible to -- there is no resonance of any sort at highway speed or in lower gears (or on deceleration). Most 1-er owners don't drive a lot in this range in higher gears, but I do, so drone was a concern with me too, and one of the reasons I didn't go with cp-e, because at the time, they hadn't eliminated the drone lots of folks complained about.

I'm extremely satisfied with the Touring HP and my buying experience from execstudio.com, but sometimes I wished I had gone with the GT instead, so it should be an excellent choice for you.

pge
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

I don't have a drone, and I have the GT axleback with no other mods. If you want to swing by the SFV, I'd be happy to take you for a spin.

It's gotten rather quiet after some miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Regardless of the axle back you chose it should not drone. The drone comes from your mid-pipes when you dont have a cat. Even with catless dp's and a muffler it does not drone so long as you have a stock mid-pipe.
Get what ever muffler you want and enjoy it!
Also mesiterschaft is a great choice, only one I prefer is eissimann but it is a LOT more. If you are not planing on doing mid pipes, which there is not much of a reason to unless you go catless and then it WILL drone, you should get the race. It will sound more aggressive and have a better note and wont drone.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mor View Post
I don't have a drone, and I have the GT axleback with no other mods. ... It's gotten rather quiet after some miles.
I'll mention I have no performance mods either. I'm surprised you feel the GT has gotten quieter. The HP started out pretty quiet, although with a lovely sound, but began to really open up about 1000 miles and although I was thinking about mid-pipes when first installed, I'm putting that decision off. I do really love the sound of the Meisterschaft!

pge
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I have the GT axle-back with no other exhaust mods. I absolutely love it. IMO it's the perfect amount of sweet, sweet noise. It's not too loud and not too soft. (I had a ton of concern it may be too loud after watching the YouTube videos. They do not represent the db amount very well.) The note is pure bliss! No drone.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
wolfe77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Thanks all for the information. Much appreciated. That makes the buying decision so much easier. I guess the question now is where to buy. I've seen nothing but positive posts about execstudio.com and they are fairly local.

I thought I saw a post a few days ago by an execstudio.com rep mentioning they had sold out of all Meisterschaft systems. I'll call to confirm, but if that is the case any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

I got mine from Execstudio also. He can set up a drop ship straight from the factory, so you'll have it quickly. Mine was drop shipped and I got it within a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

12k miles and very little drone with a full catback. You'll be more than happy with it!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
I've got the Meisterschaft Touring HP (axle-back only) on my 135i MT and I'm very happy with it. Currently, it's got about 1400 miles and has opened up quite a bit, lovely sound! There is no drone, however, there is some bass resonance about 1800-2100 rpms when under load in higher gears, which I suspect all 3rd party systems are susceptible to -- there is no resonance of any sort at highway speed or in lower gears (or on deceleration). Most 1-er owners don't drive a lot in this range in higher gears, but I do, so drone was a concern with me too, and one of the reasons I didn't go with cp-e, because at the time, they hadn't eliminated the drone lots of folks complained about.

I'm extremely satisfied with the Touring HP and my buying experience from execstudio.com, but sometimes I wished I had gone with the GT instead, so it should be an excellent choice for you.

pge
That is the exhaust I have been considering for some time. I think you may have just sold me on it, so thanks!

Which finish did you get on the tips? I'm considering the black chrome tips but have heard they're not worth it and not that noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I've the full catback system, Zero drone, awesome exhaust. I've gotten So Many complements since I've it for over 6mo. If you get drone, you might have forgotten to put in the stock rubber block on the new muffler.

The black chrome is really NOT noticeable. I don't know how to describe it, it's nice, but if you're thinking it'll look anything like our stock tips, you will be in for a surprise. If I've to describe the color, the closest thing that I can think of is those Anti Static Bag that ship with your computer parts (hard drive, video card, motherboard, ram, etc...). These are the pics I took when I got it.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
That is the exhaust I have been considering for some time. I think you may have just sold me on it, so thanks!
Which finish did you get on the tips? I'm considering the black chrome tips but have heard they're not worth it and not that noticeable.
I got the black chrome and it is a nice finish, which is about the same color of the exhaust residue left inside the tips, lol. I was cleaning them the other day and noticed that. I got offered a good deal on the black chrome so I didn't quibble. I forgot to mention that as the Touring HP opens up, you can hear a nice little burble on deceleration, especially noticeable with the windows down a bit or the sunroof tilted when in lower gears. Here's a shot right after the HP and iCarbon diffuser were installed at 475 miles (also it had just been detailed, so with that and the winter sun there's a lot of reflection). I think every review I've read by owners of Meisterschaft indicate they are very happy with the quality, fitment and lovely sound.

pge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Regardless of the axle back you chose it should not drone. The drone comes from your mid-pipes when you dont have a cat. Even with catless dp's and a muffler it does not drone so long as you have a stock mid-pipe.
Get what ever muffler you want and enjoy it!
Also mesiterschaft is a great choice, only one I prefer is eissimann but it is a LOT more. If you are not planing on doing mid pipes, which there is not much of a reason to unless you go catless and then it WILL drone, you should get the race. It will sound more aggressive and have a better note and wont drone.
I disagree. The drone is all in the muffler. I ran dp/midpipes/axleback, all cpe, droned like crazy, took the muffler off and put the stock one on, zero drone. This was before they made their changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

My bad for reviving this thread but anyone running Meisterschaft GT axle back with N55 mids? It's the exact setup that I'm running and it drones a bit around 2000 rpm. I wonder if aftermarket mid pipe might help reduce this drone. Anyone paired GT axle back with berk mids?
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0