F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Building A Road Bike (HELP)
GetBMWParts

08-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
skinnycow
condoms prevent minivans
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Building A Road Bike (HELP)

I want to build my own road bike for an upcoming event and I wanted to see if you guys can give me any tips/advice on building one.

What brand names should I look into/avoid?

The only thing I have right now is a Cinelli frame, I still need to get the saddle, wheels, pedals, tires, handle bars, etc.

Thanks!

08-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Budget? Spend your first $200 on getting fit. Proper fit will be better than any amount of bling. Have you ever ridden another road bike? Things like pedals, saddles and even component groups are largely personal.

I ride and love Campagnolo components, but SRAM makes some great stuff too. I hate Shimano, but that's just me, it's good stuff and a good value. The UK sites (Ribble, Total Cycling, Chain Reaction) are much cheaper than US sites for groups and components. I use Speedplay pedals, and have Mavic wheels, but hate them and would strongly recommend you get handbuilt wheels, which represent much better value and are almost always lighter and more aero than factory made wheels, the exception being Shimano Dura Ace wheels.

Since you have a Cinelli frame, logic and taste would say that you should stick with as much Italian stuff as possible. Consider Campy, TTT or Deda bar/stem and Vittoria tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Great excersize. I ride 3 times a week. building a bike is tough you can spend a little or you can spend rediculous amounts. I think you should buy basic components and then if you start to get into it upgrade little by little. Don't go all out at the beginning only to stop riding after a couple weeks.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I'm in the same boat. I finally killed my diamondback frame and I'm looking at a cannondale now...but that's mountain bike talk.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
skinnycow
condoms prevent minivans
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Budget? Spend your first $200 on getting fit. Proper fit will be better than any amount of bling. Have you ever ridden another road bike? Things like pedals, saddles and even component groups are largely personal.

I ride and love Campagnolo components, but SRAM makes some great stuff too. I hate Shimano, but that's just me, it's good stuff and a good value. The UK sites (Ribble, Total Cycling, Chain Reaction) are much cheaper than US sites for groups and components. I use Speedplay pedals, and have Mavic wheels, but hate them and would strongly recommend you get handbuilt wheels, which represent much better value and are almost always lighter and more aero than factory made wheels, the exception being Shimano Dura Ace wheels.

Since you have a Cinelli frame, logic and taste would say that you should stick with as much Italian stuff as possible. Consider Campy, TTT or Deda bar/stem and Vittoria tires.

Thanks for the respond. I got fitted, but they didn't offer many bikes for my height (5'0) that I liked, so that is why I'm building my own. I spent 1 grand on the frame, so I don't want to spend more than another grand on the rest. I just recently got into biking when I was in Europe, so this is all brand new to me.
      08-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnycow View Post
Thanks for the respond. I got fitted, but they didn't offer many bikes for my height (5'0) that I liked, so that is why I'm building my own. I spent 1 grand on the frame, so I don't want to spend more than another grand on the rest. I just recently got into biking when I was in Europe, so this is all brand new to me.
Are you building a 700c or 650c frame? At your height, I'd imagine you'd enjoy slightly smaller wheels, but if you can make 700's work, it won't be a problem.

Stick with aluminum components for the stem, bar and seatpost, and if you're not looking to go crazy, consider a full build kit along these lines:
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=1&minor=2

That will get you everything you need aside from a frame, fork, pedals and the basics like bottle cages. SRAM Apex and Rival are good starting points, as is Shimano 105 or Campagnolo Centaur or Veloce.

If you're comfortable building it up yourself, or have a friend who can help, you can usually beat those prices, but that's a good start. You can always upgrade things later, with wheels and tires being the area that you'll likely notice the improvement.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

screw the road biking. Get into mountain biking.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
What is making you want to build from scratch? I think you'll save yourself a great deal of headache and money by buying something already built. I just bought a Trek Madone (CF w/ Shimano 105 components) and have been having a blast with it. It's going to end up like a car where the sum of the parts ends up costing more than a fully built road ready bike sitting in a showroom.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 AW DCT ZCP ESS 625

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
What is making you want to build from scratch? I think you'll save yourself a great deal of headache and money by buying something already built. I just bought a Trek Madone (CF w/ Shimano 105 components) and have been having a blast with it. It's going to end up like a car where the sum of the parts ends up costing more than a fully built road ready bike sitting in a showroom.
Good point ^^. So many choices of quality built bikes suited for any budget. Don't go nuts on ur first bike, it will most likely kick ur ass for a few years to come. like any sport, the more u get into it, the more expensive it gets! Great sport, great exercise....
      07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Trek all the way. Get something that will be desirable to resell in case you dont get into it. Minimally I would get a Trek 1.5. Check it out --> http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes..._1_series/1_5#

This is what I bought and even though I dont have much time to ride anymore its an unbelievable bike and I want to get out just because its so pretty.

Good luck. You'll love biking!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 AW DCT ZCP ESS 625

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sorry for the one up! Better bike...

Check out this video on YouTube:

07-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

There is nothing wrong with building a bike from "scratch"...provided you have enough experience to put together a component group that will work well together...or want to engage in the expensive lesson of trial and error.

If you are asking advice on a bicycle build from a bunch of guys on a car forum then I would suspect that you have little experience with component selection and integration. If this is the case I would recommend you go to a reputable bicycle shop, have a candid conversation with a sales rep regarding your needs and desires, and buy a complete bike. The bike manufacturers put together packages known to work well.
Once you gain some experience and get some exposure to the products on the market you can build a bike that will be satisfying to build and to ride.

I do need to put in a plug for my favorite...DeRosa.

Last edited by Dave2; 07-07-2012 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

What he said, and I would only add that the person you need to have the candid talk with is one of the techs, not the sales guy . Good luck.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

I'm with KoJ...sometimes you'll get much more buying a bike that is already built than getting all the parts and putting it together, especially if one is just getting into biking. Like Alpha, I'm a Specialized rider...and bought the Roubaix Expert after riding almost every other road bike out there. I went to more than I can count bike shops, took test drives, spoke to techs, bike nuts, and decided in my price point (<4k) which bike offered me the most in components, durability, comfort, and resale when and if I wanted to sell. I guess that is what many of us do with cars too
Whatever you do, good luck and always wear a top of the line helmet because the head that you save, might be your own!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

:LOL:

apparently sex sells, since the only products you looked at have a half naked girl on them