E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OBD2 K+DCAN

03-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
I am having trouble installing inpa, I will definatly get anothet laptop.what does it mean by virtual machine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

you can have Xp or anyother window (virtual) on windows 7.
      03-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
If you've got Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, download and install Windows XP mode. It's a lot quicker and easier than setting up a VM from scratch.
      03-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #25
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius
If you've got Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, download and install Windows XP mode. It's a lot quicker and easier than setting up a VM from scratch.
Inpa should work.
Dis, with compatibility mode.... Not sure as you will need vm.
      03-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 330D, 1978 1275GT

INPA works from the seller I mentioned, but what threw me was that the cable needs to be connected to the car aswell during the driver install - it took a little while, but it eventually appeared as a USB to serial adapter in Device Manager.

If you're really stuck, I'll happily do my best to guide you through it - provided you can get Internet in your car :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #27
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2del View Post
INPA works from the seller I mentioned, but what threw me was that the cable needs to be connected to the car aswell during the driver install - it took a little while, but it eventually appeared as a USB to serial adapter in Device Manager.

If you're really stuck, I'll happily do my best to guide you through it - provided you can get Internet in your car :-)
Yes that would be great, I can get internet in the car,let me know when you can help, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
pnickisson
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport

Quote:

Hi...I bought this cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1707948531...84.m1439.l2649

however it didn't work with my 57 330D E92 (registered September 2007). I am thinking that the cable that you suggest in your previous ebay link might be the cable that I need. Can you confirm that you have had that cable work with your 2007 330D....and if I have understood it correctly you have to install the driver while you sit in the car with the OBD connector plugged in?

And I assume that that cable will work with NCS Expert, SSS and DIS for the re-coding etc not just identifying fault codes as I want mine for getting the digital mph, and coding in a bluetooth module added to the MULF.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #29
jth
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw series 1

hi im new here but been reading this thread
ive got a series 1 that the dpf light has came on 2 days ago
I put in the cleaner stuff and took my car a 70mile round trip
to livingstone steady 70 miles per hour.
I thought a smelt the rotten eggs twice in doing so.
the very next day the light came back on again,
do I need to get the light reset before it will regen ?
if so is there anyone in Glasgow that could do it as im not to good with computers.

I realise the thread is nearl a year old but heres hoping someone can help.
thanks jth.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #30
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

dpf clearing

In my experience, the iDrive warning appears when the first failure stage is detected. The "regen" will only take place when the light is not on.

It's worth noting that the DPF will usually become clogged for a reason - either due to a lot of stop-start, short trips, or something more serious. In my case, the EGR thermostat was broken and needed to be replaced, which meant that the engine did not reach the required temperature (75'C) during normal driving.

If you know what's caused the DPF to be clogged; fix it. If you don't, find out before simply 'clearing' it. Check the engine temperature is regularly reaching 70 - 80'C during normal driving.

Once you've found and fixed the cause, here's how i fixed the DPF clog:
Drive the car on a motorway at any speed above 60 mph, provided it's steady.
As the iDrive checks the DPF, codes will appear. You must clear the codes as they appear.

Keep checking the MPG needle - it will alter in response to the code clears, giving an indication that an active regen is taking place.

I had to clear the codes around 30 times; each time the delay between Clear and the light re-appearing increased. At first it reappeared after 10 seconds, then 15, then 20, then up to 5 minutes. Eventually, it was completely gone.
As you can see, you need some way to read and clear the codes as they appear. My local garage charges £20 to read and clear, but you'd need to convince them to come along in the car with their device and help you out. Alternatively, get hold of a device yourself, or use a laptop with a INPA D+KCAN cable.

Good luck,
Dean
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
jth
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw series 1

Quote:
In my experience, the iDrive warning appears when the first failure stage is detected. The "regen" will only take place when the light is not on.

It's worth noting that the DPF will usually become clogged for a reason - either due to a lot of stop-start, short trips, or something more serious. In my case, the EGR thermostat was broken and needed to be replaced, which meant that the engine did not reach the required temperature (75'C) during normal driving.

If you know what's caused the DPF to be clogged; fix it. If you don't, find out before simply 'clearing' it. Check the engine temperature is regularly reaching 70 - 80'C during normal driving.

Once you've found and fixed the cause, here's how i fixed the DPF clog:
Drive the car on a motorway at any speed above 60 mph, provided it's steady.
As the iDrive checks the DPF, codes will appear. You must clear the codes as they appear.

Keep checking the MPG needle - it will alter in response to the code clears, giving an indication that an active regen is taking place.

I had to clear the codes around 30 times; each time the delay between Clear and the light re-appearing increased. At first it reappeared after 10 seconds, then 15, then 20, then up to 5 minutes. Eventually, it was completely gone.
As you can see, you need some way to read and clear the codes as they appear. My local garage charges £20 to read and clear, but you'd need to convince them to come along in the car with their device and help you out. Alternatively, get hold of a device yourself, or use a laptop with a INPA D+KCAN cable.

Good luck,
Dean
thanks for reply im going to see someone tomorrow with a machine
but im not sure if he knows he will need to clear them while driving?
the cause I suppose would be short journeys
I do about 5 mile a day.
ps how do I check temp while driving thanks

Last edited by jth; 08-19-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #32
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

How did it go?

Just noticed this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...whatFull&hl=en

BMWhat allows you to clear fault codes from an Android phone when connected to the OBD2 port via a cheap bluetooth dongle

Dean
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #33
james520
Rep
Drives: bmw

http://www.diyobd2.fr/wholesale/mini...itch-2290.html
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #34
BlueBill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320

you can also do some coding with this BMWhat app I heard -anyone knows what codings are possible?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #35
tyieodk2
Registered
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Inpa should work.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 04:01 AM   #36
sadsac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e91 330d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBill
you can also do some coding with this BMWhat app I heard -anyone knows what codings are possible?
all the code options are on the bmwhat website

re doing 40 miles at 80+ its only an idea but could you put the auto box in manual mode and hold it in 4th or 5th at a lower speed and achieve the same effect?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:21 AM   #37
tyieodk2
Registered
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Inpa should work.

04-08-2015, 04:05 AM   #38
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
one of the 1st things to try is to go for a clear motorway drive

to make the 3.0d work hard enough its got be over 80+mph for 40 miles plus

the idrive will ping, if the dpf clears
Guessing you could drive slower than 80 but in a lower gear at higher revs if ppl want to be careful of plod.
Appreciate 0