F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Yes, I know.... off-topic
proTUNING Freaks

03-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
urnuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i (the now "slow" bmw)

Yes, I know.... off-topic

but I need some help (and don't know where to go!)
Friend of mine just bought a Saab 9-3 Convertible- quite nice, by the way. Got a sick deal- sticker was just under $51K and she paid $32K (it was a leftover and it was snowing!)
Anyway, she is now pregnant; I don't know ANYBODY who owns a convertible.
Can she put the baby in the back seat?
I assume she will need that wind-blocker device, but do they make the air-flow better for the back, as well. I know they are designed to reduce buffeting, noise, etc for the front occupants.
At the very least- she will need some sort of safety seat that has considerable wind/sun protection.
Or, is this all absolute insanity and she needs to get rid of the car because this just makes no sense?
She also owns a Tacoma Double-Cab- but keeping the car if she can't put the baby in it seems foolish.
At first, I thought, well, but the little guy (girl, actually) in the front, as that would solve some of the problems- but I don't think that's the safest place to be (for a baby).
Just looking for some "I have/had a kid/convertible and here's the deal" advice.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

put the top up and pretend its a coupe. baby needs to be at the back seat.

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
rwg
Rep
Drives: 335i

Leave the top up when the kids in the car? What's so difficult about this?

Fwiw, I despise convertibles b/c of the maount of time I was forced to ride in the back seat on the highway when I was a kid, even if it is more fun from the front seat.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-Sport

Do NOT put the baby in the front. The passenger airbag, assuming it is not defeatable, could kill the child. As for wind blockers, those often cover/block the back seat, so I'm not sure that will work.

Honestly, she might just have to get rid of/change cars. She could just keep the top up with the baby in, but I'd think it might get old. My experience is that 2 doors are hard enough to get in and out of, but convertibles often worse because of the wider door sills in the back (accommodating the top)

As one who is expecting his first child any day or any minute now... sometimes we just have to change for our babies, regardless of what we "want"
      03-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
jmyers
Rep
Drives: 335i

Didn't realize Saabs have a 19k markup...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 | 09 Accord V6 EXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyers View Post
Didn't realize Saabs have a 19k markup...
duh...then they mark them down and you feel like you're getting an awesome deal. almost like they're paying you to buy it...saab ftw
      03-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
DBville
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnuts View Post
Friend of mine just bought a Saab 9-3 Convertible- quite nice, by the way. Got a sick deal- sticker was just under $51K and she paid $32K (it was a leftover and it was snowing!)
I assume she will need that wind-blocker device, but do they make the air-flow better for the back, as well. I know they are designed to reduce buffeting, noise, etc for the front occupants.
At the very least- she will need some sort of safety seat that has considerable wind/sun protection.
Or, is this all absolute insanity and she needs to get rid of the car because this just makes no sense?
She also owns a Tacoma Double-Cab- but keeping the car if she can't put the baby in it seems foolish.
At first, I thought, well, but the little guy (girl, actually) in the front, as that would solve some of the problems- but I don't think that's the safest place to be (for a baby).
Just looking for some "I have/had a kid/convertible and here's the deal" advice.
Thanks!
After reading this I am wondering if she got such a great deal because it doesn't have a top? Just because you have a car that does 140 mph doesn't mean you do it with the baby in it!! Her bigger problem is that a baby seat in a two door car is a royal PITA! It can be done, but access is limited compared to a four door.

If she got such a great deal, then she should be able to sell it privately in a couple of months, and make money. She should do that, and get something more practical, considering her concerns.

'08 E90 335i
Sparkling Graphite
PCD 11/28
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
DSXMachina
If I don't get reincarnated I'm screwed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92, 6MT, TiAg, Walnut, Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnuts View Post
Thanks!

I also live in southern NH.
I also own a Saab, been a fan for years, but bought a 335 for more performance.
1. Your friend did NOT get a deal on that vert. You'll find out how bad she got taken if she tries to sell it. A "left over" meaning a 2007? That 's the OLD model 9-3! The car was worth 29K tops.
2. Baby is the most important factor by a thousand times. The Saab is one of the safest cars in an accident, except of course for the vert in a roll over. If it were my child I'd say bye to the vert and stay in the Taco.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
urnuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i (the now "slow" bmw)

Thanks-

I appreciate the info and thougts.
The Saab seems like a really nice car- it's been in my garage for 2 months due to the weather; not $51K nice but for $32K it's in Solstice territory! I would have chosen an S2000; She thought the rear seats would work for the child.
I think she's going to get rid of it and get something a bit more realistic
Thanks, again.
Appreciate 0