E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 330i Stereo/Nav cuts out for a few seconds frequently after frequent use

01-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
fabregas-aus
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 330i

330i Stereo/Nav cuts out for a few seconds frequently after frequent use

Hi all,

Been reading here for a while but first post.

I recently bought a 2005 e90 330i sedan.

The drive has been wonderful but there is one issue that is driving me a bit nuts. It happened for the first time about 2 weeks after purchasing the car, when I was on a drive out of the city (about a 2 hour drive, mostly at speed of 120kmph). The CD I was playing froze for 2-5 seconds (the timer on the idrive screen actually stopped) and then would continue playing. From this point, it would continue to happen frequently (say every 30-120seconds) for the remainder of the drive.

From the next day onwards it was fine again for a few days, until I spent a large part of the day driving. It occurred again, and would continue to occur for the remainder of the drive/day.

It is still happening and seems to be related to either extended periods driving, or quick acceleration.

It happens on all CDs, from stacker or front console. It happens when listening to the radio. It also seems to happen to the Nav... with the current location disappearing for a few seconds. It is like the entire idrive system is cutting out.

It is also very hot weather at the moment where I live, in Perth - Australia.

Has this behaviour been observed before? It is a known issue? Any ideas what it could be?

Appreciate any responses.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I believe there was a service bulletin on this a while back. I believe there is a temperature at which the system considered it too hot (and there was a setting for too low I believe) and the system would self-disable to keep from doing any damage. The setpoints were apparently a bit too conservative and subsequent software updates widened the spread.

Maybe someone will chime in with the actual SIB for this as I may have the details a bit off, but I believe a firmware update of the car (assuming it hasn't been done in a while) may take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
fabregas-aus
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 330i

Thanks for the info Gene.

It definitely did it less often today, doing the same long drive. The weather was a bit cooler than of recent weeks and it rained. However, it still did it a fair few times, particularly during takeoff/acceleration or braking. It didn't seem to do it much at all while cruising.

When it cuts out... 9 times out of 10 it will cut out for 2-5 seconds, then come back on for 0-1 seconds, then cut out for 1 second again... before returning to normal.

Can anyone else back up Gene's theory, or have any additional info?
Appreciate 0