F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > WSJ Article on BMW - End of Cheap BMWs for US
Extreme Powerhouse

08-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #23
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
No, it's 100,000 for a complete life cycle (6 years). IIRC that target means less than 10% more than the E46 M3.

Best regards, south

I thought we discussed this.... I think you are right.
      08-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #24
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I believe KER is developed in assocation with Torotrak, a British gearbox manufacturer who has developed a new IVT gearbox that I know BMW are interested in.

KER is a Torotrak development to be introduced in F1 either 2009 or 2010. I doubt we will see such a system in the mainstream before 2015, but you never know, things to aid economy are at the forefront of all manufacturers minds.
BMW is said to use an electrical KERS, not the mechanical one developed by Flybrid/Torotrack. Also their 'Active Hybrid' concepts use electrical systems.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BMW is said to use an electrical KERS, not the mechanical one developed by Flybrid/Torotrack. Also their 'Active Hybrid' concepts use electrical systems.

Best regards, south

What the heck is an electrical KER?? The whole reason for KER is to avoid the inefficient mechanical energy to electrical back to mechanical energy process.
      08-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #26
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

M losing focus, I don't care if it means less profit for the company.

M is supposed to give BMW owners something to brag about. Something for the 328i owners to brag about to their Audi/MB counter parts. The M was never intended to profit, it was intended to show the power that BMW can unleash. That vision has been lost and now the company is trying to push profit margins higher on these M cars.

This is the same reason why the Bugatti and the GT-R even exist.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #27
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
What the heck is an electrical KER?? The whole reason for KER is to avoid the inefficient mechanical energy to electrical back to mechanical energy process.
Well, KERS is only a fancy name for hybrid in F1. There's not a specific concept behind. Most teams develop their own system, some a electric version, others a mechanical. Both systems likely have their pros and cons.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #28
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well, KERS is only a fancy name for hybrid in F1. There's not a specific concept behind. Most teams develop their own system, some a electric version, others a mechanical. Both systems likely have their pros and cons.

Best regards, south
I don't think anyone is down the path of mechanical energy -> Electric -> Mechanical. Way too inefficient given the need for heavy batteries.

I think all F1 teams are working a pure mechanical system. I hope BMW ///M is also down this path.
      08-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #29
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Yes, the M-division is responsible for making "halo" cars, and no, they aren't expected to carry the company with their sales, but neither are they expected to weigh it down with losses. BMW isn't trying to go for Porsche-like profit margins, they're simply going to stop subsidizing the US market.

This is the same as the gas price situation: for years we got sweetheart deals compared to the rest of the world, and now we're going to cry when the playing field levels? Surely we're better than this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
M is supposed to give BMW owners something to brag about.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #30
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I don't think anyone is down the path of mechanical energy -> Electric -> Mechanical. Way too inefficient given the need for heavy batteries.

I think all F1 teams are working a pure mechanical system. I hope BMW ///M is also down this path.
BMW Sauber already said last week that they're going to use an electric KERS. Honestly I think that most teams will do accordingly. This system as used by BMW Sauber adds about 40kg.

Don't know about BMW ///M, but like I said yesterday the Active hybrid concepts also base on an electric system.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #31
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BMW Sauber already said last week that they're going to use an electric KERS. Honestly I think that most teams will do accordingly. This system as used by BMW Sauber adds about 40kg.

Don't know about BMW ///M, but like I said yesterday the Active hybrid concepts also base on an electric system.

Best regards, south
Do you have a link?

Thanks.
      08-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #32
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Most of the E90's are driven by soccer moms where I live and they also drive X5's as their second car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #33
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a link?

Thanks.
Sure, here's the press release: BMW_Sauber_KERS.pdf

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #34
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sure, here's the press release: Attachment 174412

Best regards, south

Interesting thanks.... With the press release we can now speculate a lot better about an electric KERS system.

Given that it will deliver 80 hp for 6.5 seconds and the system weighs 40 kg.....

BMW KERS will not likely be using batteries, I am willing to bet they are going to use large capacitors to store and discharge the power.

So if we can see 50 hp over 10 seconds in a new ///M Car, that would be very cool and could be used to mask turbo lag.
      08-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #35
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Interesting thanks.... With the press release we can now speculate a lot better about an electric KERS system.

Given that it will deliver 80 hp for 6.5 seconds and the system weighs 40 kg.....

BMW KERS will not likely be using batteries, I am willing to bet they are going to use large capacitors to store and discharge the power.

So if we can see 50 hp over 10 seconds in a new ///M Car, that would be very cool and could be used to mask turbo lag.
I guess the KERS as used for ///M models will be based on the 'Active Hybrid' concept. In case you don't mind reading another press release: http://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressc...ehybrid_gb.pdf

This version of 'Active Hybrid' uses two electric motors and a battery, so it seems like it can be used both electric and (somewhat) mechanical!? Anyway this is a full hybrid layout, doubt that ///M will be going that route...

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #36
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
I guess the KERS as used for ///M models will be based on the 'Active Hybrid' concept. In case you don't mind reading another press release: http://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressc...ehybrid_gb.pdf

This version of 'Active Hybrid' uses two electric motors and a battery, so it seems like it can be used both electric and (somewhat) mechanical!? Anyway this is a full hybrid layout, doubt that ///M will be going that route...

Best regards, south
South as always, great info...

From what I gather the system in the ///M (to debut in the X6 supposedly) is based on the mechanical system unlike the active hybrid models with batteries which is solely electrical.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/07/25...rids/#more-401

The recent incident with the crew member getting shocked is just one of the issues with an electrical system....

But on the other hand BMW has been discussing taking the electric system to F1 and subsequently to street cars....

The issues I have with these press releases is that BMW let alone ///M would never make a formal announcement about something they are developing as it would squash the marketing after the fact....
      08-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #37
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
South as always, great info...

From what I gather the system in the ///M (to debut in the X6 supposedly) is based on the mechanical system unlike the active hybrid models with batteries which is solely electrical.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/07/25...rids/#more-401

The recent incident with the crew member getting shocked is just one of the issues with an electrical system....

But on the other hand BMW has been discussing taking the electric system to F1 and subsequently to street cars....

The issues I have with these press releases is that BMW let alone ///M would never make a formal announcement about something they are developing as it would squash the marketing after the fact....
Thanks!

It's kinda unusual for BMW but they said something about developing KERS and thus gaining a lot of experience and know how for series production.

A German press release cites Klaus Dräger: "We see the new 2009 F1 regulation as a chance to use innovative hybrid technology and therefore gain important insight for the series production. BMW customers will benefit from that since the KERS unit as developed for the BMW Sauber F1.09 features a highly efficient type of brake energy regeneration. Its operating mode is similar to ActiveHybrid."

That sounds like an electric KERS for ///M models, but that's only my guess.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #38
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I'm SO happy I got my e90 M3 two-weeks ago!!! For 4K below invoice. Nice...
ok im not calling you a liar...but which dealer was stupid enough to give you a m3 for 4k below invoice?
      08-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #39
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Best regards, south

I would guess against batteries..... with the numbers they are saying 80hp for 6.5 seconds, the charge and discharge rate would be very difficult if not impossible by today's battery technologies (remember it weighs 40 kg!).

The limit of today's hybrid technology is the charge and discharge rates.

To get this type of performance, they will need to use power capacitors.

Heat is going to be a mega issue.
      08-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #40
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Time to buy a merc or audi.
      08-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #41
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

The fun has started my American friends....the end of cheap leases..... I have not confirmed this personally but dang!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161523

On a 36 month lease, 6.48% interest with a 50% residual.....
      08-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #42
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
ok im not calling you a liar...but which dealer was stupid enough to give you a m3 for 4k below invoice?

I believe the discount. I was in Cedar Rapids, Ia...and visited a dealer that giving hefty discounts on 2 coupes and 1 sedan he had on hand...they were discounted 3 grand....the sedan 4.....the sedan had a bad color combo...so the hefty discount.....

I have learned that geographic regions....play a big part in discounts.....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #43
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
probably 3-4 under mrsp.....that is what I meant....not invoice
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #44
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Good info guys, thx for all the links
Appreciate 0