F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > M5 08' vs CTS-V 09' on Roadandtrack & Edmunds test CTS-V with numbers!
ARMA SPEED

08-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #45
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ Correct. I have a Mini for when I want to get beat up.
      08-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #46
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Those talking about the Caddy not being able to handle didn't read. The CTS-V was 3 mph faster in the slalom. Thats a big difference. I know alot of us want to lend excuses to BMW because we are owners, but the M5 just got dethroned simple and plain as a sports sedan. I personally think the M5 looks a little better, but the CTSV interior looks better and the performance numbers and price speak for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #47
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

Best bang for the buck in its division. I hope no one is kidding themselves. However, I do remember all the issues that the older CTS-V had with its engine etc... Hopefully this version is problem free. At the end of the day its still made by GM...

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #48
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkishexpress View Post
Best bang for the buck in its division. I hope no one is kidding themselves. However, I do remember all the issues that the older CTS-V had with its engine etc... Hopefully this version is problem free. At the end of the day its still made by GM...
I haven't heard any issues about the engine on the old CTS-V. Though there have been problems of wheel hop and the differential going out.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #49
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I haven't heard any issues about the engine on the old CTS-V. Though there have been problems of wheel hop and the differential going out.
www.cadillacfaq.com/08faq/video/ Last vid burnout. No hop, just two long black stripes.
      08-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #50
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
www.cadillacfaq.com/08faq/video/ Last vid burnout. No hop, just two long black stripes.
I was talking about the old CTS-V. The old one had the issues of the wheel hop and the rear differential breaking. GM did fix the wheel hop for the new one and hopefully did fix the rear differential.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #51
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I don't think such a heavy car would be that fun to drive. 4200 lbs. !!!
A M5 is 4012lbs. So they are both pretty close in weight. Throw an extra person in the M5 and they weigh the same.
      08-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #52
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I was talking about the old CTS-V. The old one had the issues of the wheel hop and the rear differential breaking. GM did fix the wheel hop for the new one and hopefully did fix the rear differential.
I knew you were referring to past models. There is plenty of good read on the improvements made to the 09 model.
      08-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #53
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I don't think such a heavy car would be that fun to drive. 4200 lbs. !!!

I drove a regular CTS and thought it was very boat-ish. Body rolled like none other in a hair-pin. Plus lets face it none of us are pro racers, even though some of us think we are.
0.5 seconds faster around a track just isn't enough to make me want to give up the great feel BMW's have. Its purely a bragging rights result, and if I ever see a CTS owner bagging an M5 I'd promptly tell him to go drive one.
I guess you never drove a 525i with no sport package before.

Let me just say that it has more body roll then any car I've ever driven. Actually the Kia Amanti has more roll, but just barely.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #54
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
I guess you never drove a 525i with no sport package before.

Let me just say that it has more body roll then any car I've ever driven. Actually the Kia Amanti has more roll, but just barely.
Funny, I was given as a loaner a 528i (sans sport package) and I thought it handled body roll quite well. In fact, I thought the overall handling characteristic was excellent. Perhaps the sample you drove had deflated tires (which is unlikely, though, as these cars come equipped with rf tires...?)?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #55
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I think the average buyer at this level, CTS-V, M, AMG, etc, wants all the performance with no compromise and that is why they are willing to pay for it. I also think a little SC Whine can sound good and I would want to hear it if I had the pedal floored but other then that no.

My dad was one of the average buyers of these types of cars, he wanted the most power that was available, the best performance, the good looking factory wheels, but at the end of the day he wanted a quiet compliant ride.
I think your dad is the exception to the rule. It seems to me like the majority of M, AMG et all buyers are people simply looking for the highest end version of a given car. They don't care about performance and most likely they drive like my grand mother, but they sure like to show boat their expensive car!

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #56
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
I think your dad is the exception to the rule. It seems to me like the majority of M, AMG et all buyers are people simply looking for the highest end version of a given car. They don't care about performance and most likely they drive like my grand mother, but they sure like to show boat their expensive car!
It sounds like we are basically in agreement, the highest end version typically has the highest performance.

My dad didn't ever explore the limits of his cars, just liked to floor it every now and then on an on-ramp.

Plus buying the highest end version is what people who can afford it do, they want the best they buy the best.
Appreciate 0