F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Need help to lose weight (any advice)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Need help to lose weight (any advice)

Whats up guys,

I am starting a new system of dieting and intense workout. I am not looking to lose alot of weight within a matter of 3 months but just the most i can.

I am definately overweight. Im at 303 right now and im trying to reach 220, as for time, i am not sure how long this will take also.

I use to start diets but i got off them real quick, now when i see my self in pictures from now and back then (240) i noticed i am way worse.

Whats the best workouts and diet plans, and the best supplements if any needed (none of that hydroxycut bullshyt etc.) i used to take Oxy Elite Pro and it worked to wake me up and give me energy but i stopped taking it since my gym time went down.

Whats the best time to workout? Ive been told better in the morning but i only have free time in the night maybe in the morning but im not really a morning person.

Im only 20 yrs old and im trying to lose as much as i can to get fit. I do smoke, and i know thats a big factor. I want to focus on loosing weight and getting skinny, and then work on getting cut (but this will take a long while i know that).

Any help is appreciative.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I admire your goal to lose the weight. Good to start now before it's too late.

Forget the supliments, you'll be concentrating on eating better. The simple fact is that you need to burn more calories than you consume. Cardio combined with smart eating will get you on the right path. Then you can focus on strength training to do even better.

P.S. do what it takes to stop smoking right away. That shit will kill you and undermines all the goals you just laid out.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Try this. Very helpful and will motivate.Free plus theres a phone app too. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I admire your goal to lose the weight. Good to start now before it's too late.

Forget the supliments, you'll be concentrating on eating better. The simple fact is that you need to burn more calories than you consume. Cardio combined with smart eating will get you on the right path. Then you can focus on strength training to do even better.

P.S. do what it takes to stop smoking right away. That shit will kill you and undermines all the goals you just laid out.
So calories is really a big factor i never believed it honestly. It will be ahrd for me to keep a calorie count, ive been told at least 1000 a day? I know my hunger will want to eat greasy foods but i really am making a sacrafice. Im thinking running at the gym will help me, but with little upper body and lower body workouts, but mainly focusing on running.

I noticed that im really overweight and smoking is making it worse but quitting cold turkey will be difficult but im looking at the end of all this when im healthy
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Try this. Very helpful and will motivate.Free plus theres a phone app too. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
Thanks will i will look into this
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Give up carbs..(bread, rice, pasta) all hidden sugar foods..

Im not overweight but wanted to lose some vanity lbs...I just ate proteins, cheese and fruits, nuts and vegetables for a month ..dropped 10lbs..

Since you are carrying alot of extra weight this diet will work even better for you and you shed weight very quickly..GL
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyL3nTFoRcE View Post
So calories is really a big factor i never believed it honestly.
Definitely. It is simple physics. The reason you put on weight is because you consumed more calories than you burned. Reverse that, and you are guaranteed to lose weight.

Quote:
It will be ahrd for me to keep a calorie count, ive been told at least 1000 a day?
You gotta be serious about the calories, or you'll get frustrated because you might not see any results. You can use an app, or just take real good notes about what you eat, and be honest about the portions and the associated calories.

There's a good chance you might be eating 5000 calories a day. You're not going to drop that down to 1000! But you'll obviously need to start cutting that back significantly.

Quote:
I know my hunger will want to eat greasy foods but i really am making a sacrafice.
Everyone likes some greasy foods. But if you're really intent on changing your weight for good, you'll understand they'll be the exception, rather than the norm.

Quote:
Im thinking running at the gym will help me, but with little upper body and lower body workouts, but mainly focusing on running.
Running/swimming is a great way to start. Try to run outside or on a track if possible. You'll do better than than if you just use a treadmill.

Quote:
I noticed that im really overweight and smoking is making it worse but quitting cold turkey will be difficult but im looking at the end of all this when im healthy
You mean you're not going to quit until you "get healthy"? I'm not trying to preach here man. But getting healthy means looking seriously at options to quit. Patch, gum, whatever. There are no 'fit' dudes that smoke, trust me

You might want to invest in a trainer, or even check into getting some direction from a nutritionist. Seems like some gym-rat b#llshit, but it's not. You're gonna need some help (and that is OK!) and that is where you start.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=qX9FSZJu448#!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post

Im not overweight but wanted to lose some vanity lbs...I just ate proteins, cheese and fruits, nuts and vegetables for a month ..dropped 10lbs..

Since you are carrying alot of extra weight this diet will work even better for you and you shed weight very quickly..GL
This will be tough because most of my foods consists of rice and bread. im going to substitute eating pasta and rice at work for fruits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Definitely. It is simple physics. The reason you put on weight is because you consumed more calories than you burned. Reverse that, and you are guaranteed to lose weight.
You gotta be serious about the calories, or you'll get frustrated because you might not see any results. You can use an app, or just take real good notes about what you eat, and be honest about the portions and the associated calories.
There's a good chance you might be eating 5000 calories a day. You're not going to drop that down to 1000! But you'll obviously need to start cutting that back significantly.
Everyone likes some greasy foods. But if you're really intent on changing your weight for good, you'll understand they'll be the exception, rather than the norm.
Running/swimming is a great way to start. Try to run outside or on a track if possible. You'll do better than than if you just use a treadmill.
You mean you're not going to quit until you "get healthy"? I'm not trying to preach here man. But getting healthy means looking seriously at options to quit. Patch, gum, whatever. There are no 'fit' dudes that smoke, trust me
You might want to invest in a trainer, or even check into getting some direction from a nutritionist. Seems like some gym-rat b#llshit, but it's not. You're gonna need some help (and that is OK!) and that is where you start.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=qX9FSZJu448#!
i signed up for myfitnesspal to keep my calorie count for me, i just hope im counting the right amount of calories.

i have a small gym at home, treadmill and some weights for now, i have my freind who is a nutrionist, he helped me out with most of certain supplements i can take to help keep me energized and to loose weight but he told me taking them wont work if im not working out and actually dieting and to be carefull on how long i stay on them and to get off them after some time. at the same time i want to take supplements to help me but i hate certain side effects from them.

I had a typo, I meant i will quit to get healthy (before i never cared) and when im healthy i will know quitting helpped me alot.

that video is truly amazing also, i never thought about seriously loosing weight because of time it took but if someone like that can overcome loosing weight then i know i can. Honestly i want to exerise alot of, course not overkill, but more than average. I know i can handle it, its just the laziness that overcomes wanting to workout, but i know its time to change. I just have to plan it out on working out with eating habbits, i just needed advice on how and where to start.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:

LOL

"Give up carbs"

"Eat more fruit"

Looks like you're really confused
      05-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
LOL

"Give up carbs"

"Eat more fruit"

Looks like you're really confused
No Im not really confused..I have proven results for me..if you keep your net carb intake under 50grams per day your body resorts to a fat burning metabolism..instead of a carb burning metabolism..This still allows you to have 1-2 servings of fruit per day

if you do some basic research the facts are out there instead of making stupid witicisms...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
ObeyMyFast
OMGWTFBBQ
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I've been obsessed with fitness for years, and I can tell you the best thing is to read up as much as you can on websites like bodybuilding.com

I assume you're not trying to become a bodybuilder, but they have TONS of articles on that website about dieting and nutrition, etc. It can help you a TON.

An alternative to MyFitnessPal is the Livestrong application ($0.99), it's the one I use daily and it's very user friendly.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/fat-loss
and
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

swole.me <--- Diet planner

Read up on proper macronutrient counts and caloric deficit, and go from there. Read about your BMR (basal metabolic rate), determine your activity level and your required maintenance calories, and reduce your intake accordingly.

The best advice I can give you is to NEVER STOP and NEVER GIVE UP. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741 Start by reading this.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=133163973 and this.

If you need any help, don't be afraid to PM me. Also, it may be beneficial to consult a nutritionist or personal trainer for guidance.

P.S.: Quit smoking and drinking asap!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
ObeyMyFast
OMGWTFBBQ
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Quote:
No Im not really confused..I have proven results for me..if you keep your net carb intake under 50grams per day your body resorts to a fat burning metabolism..instead of a carb burning metabolism..This still allows you to have 1-2 servings of fruit per day

if you do some basic research the facts are out there instead of making stupid witicisms...
Ah the Ketogenic diet. This can prove very effective if one sticks to it. Its very difficult to stick to at first though... especially if someone isn't used to dieting.

I would suggest cutting out the crap first, sugar, bread, etc, while focusing on creating a caloric deficit (although not too large), then moving on to a ketogenic diet to assist in melting away the fat.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
arejay
Rep
Drives: e90

hHey hopefully I can helpyou!

Im not trying to boast but since super bowl,…which has been exactly 3 months today I have lost 80 lbs I was at 280 now im at 200 lbs even. it is not hard at all, a few tips I can hopefully pass on is that #1 do not give up, stay positive #2 drink LOTS of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to be strict on yourself, for the last 3months I have been doing two-a-days at the gym with a 3day on and one day off sched starting slwly with cardio, then weights then cardio again. Cut off all complex carbs, sugars and dairy. And eat clean the same stuff day in day out……hard boiled eggs, celery, apples or bannas, chicken and broccoli EVERYDAY its boring, but it works…people might say its unhealthy this or that…. but do what works for you…..and lastlty DON’T TALK ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT JUST DO IT!!!!

The diet I used was Paleolithic diet, but I tweaked it to the max…………….BUT the most important thing to do is NOT GIVE UP, just like the nike slogan says “JUST DO IT”
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:

The only reason to follow Keto is if you're insulin sensitive. Why would anyone cut CHO from their diet and still expect to train?
      05-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
The only reason to follow Keto is if you're insulin sensitive. Why would anyone cut CHO from their diet and still expect to train?
As I read it the OP has a very high BMI if his ideal weight is 220 and hes at 303..he needs to shed fat..cutting the carbs will allow him to still train lightly (mostly cardio) and burn fat very rapidly..once hes reduced his BMI ..he can then add back whole foods carbs and begin to resistance train to build muscle..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

I definitely admire your goal, but this will have to be a lifetime commitment. This will not be a "diet"... this will be a lifestyle change that you will follow for the rest of your life. Like many other memembers have mentioned you need to clean up your diet and quit smoking. The internet has tons of information on healthy eating so do some research. However, everyone's bodies react differently. So what may work for one person may not necessarily work for you. So it will be trial and error until you figure out what works best for you. But with that said... the basics are the same. If you want to loose weight you need to burn more than you consume. Plain and simple.

Best place start is by tracking your caloric intake. You need to know what what is going into your body and how much ie... Fat, carbs, protein which all add up to calories. Anyone can go to the gym walk/run on a treadmill, push some weight around, do some abs and call that working out, but those that are serious make the effort outside of the gym just as much as when they are in it. And where that effort comes from putting good sources of nutrition in your body so that when you're in the gym your body is a factory to burn off those calories. Balancing out what you eat is a good place to start. Each meal should consist of good sources of fat, carbs, and protien. They are all equally important. I know the big kick now is to eat as little carbs as possible but that is bad idea. Everything you eat must be in moderation and carbs are just as important as fat and protein in your diet. So cutting them out may yield immediate effects but your body needs them and uses them for specific functions and depleting your body of them can have long term effects. But limiting the amount of simple carbs (sugars, white flour, etc...) and substituting complex carbs is a good area to focus on.

Another good point is not to become obsessed with how much weigh. Yes it is a meassure of progress but getting on the scale everyday can be counter productive. Your weight can swing throughout the day (and from day to day) depending on how much you eat and how much you drink. Perfect example... a gallon of water weighs ~8.35lbs. You can weigh differently throughout the day just based on how much water drink. The best idea is to pick a day to weigh yourself and do it on that day at the same time at each interval you chose whether it be once a week, or every other week, or once a month. The ultimate measurement of how you are doing is body fat percentage. You need to take your body fat % now and once a month have it taken. If you losing weight and not losing BF than you're not really doing yourself any good. Whether you weigh 300lbs at 25% BF or you weigh 200lbs at 25% your overall weight is still made up of 25% of fat. Does loosing BF and you're overall weight correlate... of course they do, but if only lose a pound or two but drop a BF% or two that is a much better mark than losing 10lbs and staying at the same BF%.

The best supplement is a good multivitamin. If you are eating well your body will get all the supplements it needs. Stay away from fat burners, carb blockers, and all that other hype. Like ObeyMyFast mentioned you're not trying to be a bodybuilder so there are no reason to take supplements. When you get to your goal and want to start building muscle then supplements can be helpful.

I realize you are 20 and when I was 20 the idea of preparing my own meals was totally out of the realm for me. It was much easier just to go to the college cafeteria. But try to start preparing your own meals this way you know for sure what you are eating. And if you have to eat out make smart decisions on what you order. And who cares if your friends make fun of you for odering a chicken salad with dressing on the side with no cheese, no bacon, and no crutons. If they are not concerned with the fact that you are trying to better yourself than they aren't your true friends.

You have a long road ahead of you. Don't try to do too much at one time or get in a hurry. This process takes time so you have to stay focused and don't give up no matter what. There has been plenty of people in your shoes and it has worked out for them so you know this is doable. But utlimately it's going to come down to you and your determination to reach your goal. You can never fail if you never give up!

Feel free to PM cause I am always willing to help out as much as I can. Best of luck mate!

Last edited by BoostedE90; 05-08-2012 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
All you gotta do is hit the elliptical at the gym everyday for at least an hour, go as fast as you can, after awhile youll be able to do more and more miles.

Watch what you eat, keep the fats and carbs low and the proteins high.

Youll lose 100lbs in a year no problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i opened this thinking it was gonna be another thread about getting your m3 in track ready trim.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 2
JAI///M3528.00
AntF32446.50
      05-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Good for you.

In Aug 2010, I got down to 179. My goal was so close, 172; and I started at maybe 220.

I am now back to 196. Started dating, got married, lost track lol. It happens.

But I am back and going to re-start the program that got me the weight to come off in the first place.

Here is what worked for me.

- Joined a local gym, and worked out in the morning, before 6AM.
- I spent about $200 for a personal trainer to design a lifting program for me and help me learn proper technique
- The did that 30 min strength training followed by 30 min cardio (elliptical) just after lifting, every day
- Ate a protein bar or shake after working out
- Did this program 3 to 4 times a week.

- Religiously counted calories and stuck to about 1,750 a day
- Drank a lot of water
- Avoided beer, alcohol, maybe 1 on a Saturday night

- Ate 1/2 c oatmeal with ground flax seed for breakfast virtually every day.
- Had reasonable, healthy lunch and dinner of normal food.
- Ate snacks of raw almonds; maybe a protein bar at 3PM if I got hungry
- Had occasional treat (ice cream, etc.) but never overboard.

Good luck to you. I hope you succeed in your plans. If you can stop smoking, please do. It killed my dad.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Stop eating so much...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Stop eating so much...
Thats just mean..

But also has "some" truth..unfortunatly..OP needs to change his lifestyle, behavior, way of thinking, all of it..once he starts getting in shape that will give him the positive reinforcement to keep going and commit to being healthy and fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
flyzipper
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Garage List
Fixing your dietary habits is the key and it doesn't need to be complex, require calorie-counting, reading nutrition books, or even knowing the difference between fats, carbs and proteins.

Do this:
  • Drink only water
  • Eliminate all fried and deep-fried foods
  • Eliminate all pre-packaged snacks
  • Eliminate all dairy
  • Eliminate sauces

Focus on that, just walk for exercise, and you'll meet your weight-loss objectives in no-time.
Appreciate 1