F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Teach me some basics about "Football".
proTUNING Freaks

01-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Teach me some basics about "Football".

Well I never liked football for nearly 9 years after I came to america, but since last year, I fell it love.
One reason why I started playing madden also.
I don't know much about it, so I thought I would ask a few about game strategy.

I know there are two big defense methods. Man coverage vs Zone coverage.
I also heard there is combo coverage, which combines both man and zone converage.

My question is, how do you know which coverage is better for when and what? If you see a obvious running play or passing play, which coverage type is better suited for each play?
Also, when is the best time to use "blitz"?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
renegade
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

coverage in real life game is usually determined by the middle linebacker who will call the defense formation at the line of scrimmage once seeing how the offense is lined up. obvious running or passing plays are based on the likelihood of an offense doing either or from distance in yardage needed for another first down.

*a huge factor based on what type of coverage a team will use a majority of time is based on personnel. If your defense has good cover corners your likely to go man-to-man because you can feel confident in your corners not needing alot of help in coverage besides the safety roaming.

*zone coverage is used w/ blitzing (you lose at least one man from coverage when you blitz) and the idea is to cover areas (pockets) of the field your secondary and linebackers in majority passing situations (2nd, 3rd and long)

of course there are a ton of various other defensive schemes that combine the two.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

just depends on the scheme and personnel......look at green bay.....rely on bump and run coverage all day....hardly blitz.....then, on the other hand, you have pitt, sd, etc. that love to blitz(which sd was abysmal at today, despite the int's)...3-4 over the years has proven to be the staple of certain defensive powerhouses, which employ zone blitzes....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E(@M# View Post
3-4 over the years has proven to be the staple of certain defensive powerhouses, which employ zone blitzes....
I'll clear this up just to spell it out.

A 3-4 is where the defense has 3 defensive lineman and 4 linebackers.

If your watching right now, GB is going mostly a 4-3 (4 lineman, 3 linebackers).

Teams will go with their strengths in these defensive set-ups. If they have a more talented linebacking crew then a 3-4 D is where it's at. If their is more talent in the lineman then a 4-3 is your game. Their both very very similar now a days since the defensive ends are pretty much crossover linebackers due to their size and mostly speed.

The corners and safeties are usually the same most of the time. The primary 4 are always out their. They'll also have 2 bonus corner/safeties that rotate in/out to keep guys fresh or when more cover guys are needed on pure passing downs. When 1 or 2 of the bonus cover guys come in a lineman is the usual guy to rotate out or the least talented cover linebacker.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Here's one...

Tom Brady + Bill Bellichick = 19-0
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Here's one...

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I'll clear this up just to spell it out.

A 3-4 is where the defense has 3 defensive lineman and 4 linebackers.

If your watching right now, GB is going mostly a 4-3 (4 lineman, 3 linebackers).

Teams will go with their strengths in these defensive set-ups. If they have a more talented linebacking crew then a 3-4 D is where it's at. If their is more talent in the lineman then a 4-3 is your game. Their both very very similar now a days since the defensive ends are pretty much crossover linebackers due to their size and mostly speed.

The corners and safeties are usually the same most of the time. The primary 4 are always out their. They'll also have 2 bonus corner/safeties that rotate in/out to keep guys fresh or when more cover guys are needed on pure passing downs. When 1 or 2 of the bonus cover guys come in a lineman is the usual guy to rotate out or the least talented cover linebacker.

no, really, i thought 4-3 was where there are 4 lb's.... just making the comment that if the unit revolves around getting pressure on the qb.....the 3-4 has proven to be the stronger of the two....elaborate if you believe otherwise.....the best defenses in history have been 3-4......end/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Here's one...

Here's two:

Eli + Plaxico = #1 reason my fantasy football is the champ!
      01-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
haha run a 3-5-1... its unstoppable! i think west virginia ran that... lol shit was beastly in college.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Here's one...

Tom Brady + Bill Bellichick + Cheating = 19-0
Fixed that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Fixed that for you.
Sure. Because they were caught filming the first half of the first game. Made a lot of difference in the other 17 games.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
lineman and linebacker.

Difference would be...

dude I friggin' need a Football for Dummies.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Sure. Because they were caught filming the first half of the first game. Made a lot of difference in the other 17 games.
Accumulated knowledge from the past however many seasons of cheating and nobody rewrites the whole playbook every year = still having an advantage because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
lineman and linebacker.

Difference would be...

haha.....you gotta be shittin me
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Accumulated knowledge from the past however many seasons of cheating and nobody rewrites the whole playbook every year = still having an advantage because of it.
Type of fans like you are just laughable. You live in this dream world where your team never has cheated or done what the Pats did.

Just like when the Colts were questioned about pumping more noise into the stadium. Yet everyone shrugged it off and nothing came of it.

All I know is while you are crying when Brady hold up the Super Bowl Trophy I will be dancing.
      01-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #16
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Butt Buddies

Quote:
From what I hear that's not the only thing they like to film
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #17
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
lineman and linebacker.

Difference would be...

Lineman - the lineman (also referred to as down lineman) on either side of the ball line up on the line of scrimage. This is the imaginary line that runs from sideline to sideline, through the center of the ball. The neutral zone is the span of the ball, from tip to tip, all the way across the field. No one may line up in the neutral zone, but the center (the person that gives, or "snaps" the ball to the QB to start the play) may have their hand in the neutral zone. Lineman are valued for size first, strength first and then quickness. Their job on defence is to plug up the area around the ball (between the offensive tackles).

Linebackers have a long list of duties. There are inside, or middle linebackers, and there are outside linebackers. It depends on the defensive scheme and the play called as to what they might do. The line up between 2 and 6 yards off the ball. One of the middle linebackers is the "QB" of the defense, usually. He is charged with reading the offence, calling out plays and adjustments. When the ball is in play, and it's a run, they are charged with flowing to the ball and working with the defensive lineman to make the tackle. In a pass, the linebacker may drop back into short coverage in the flat and underneath (flat is 0-8 yds off the ball, outside the tackles, underneath is 0-8 yds between the tackles), but they may also be part of the pass rush, depending on the play called.

Linebackers are usually smaller than the defensive linemen, and while they must still poses great strength, they are valued for quickness, and agility, which helps them flow to the ball. They still have the size to take on offensive linemen, but use their speed as well as strength to make the play. These are some of the most unusual athletes on the field. The best are only a couple tenths slower than a cornerback in the 40yd, but they typically have strength similar to a down lineman. They're just smaller than the linemen so they can move.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #18
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Check out some of the football 101 here: http://sports.espn.go.com/keyword/se...ource=l_navbar

Some is commentary on games and matchups, but some is also comments on different plays and packages. You're still in football 050 while learning about positions, but you'll figure it out soon enough.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #19
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E(@M# View Post
no, really, i thought 4-3 was where there are 4 lb's.... just making the comment that if the unit revolves around getting pressure on the qb.....the 3-4 has proven to be the stronger of the two....elaborate if you believe otherwise.....the best defenses in history have been 3-4......end/
No need to end/.

I never said one was better then the other. I simply stated that a team will play to it's strengths. If they have 4 shitty linebackers and 4 great lineman, then they won't want to play a 3-4 and have 4 shit brick linebackers running around the field. And vice versa. I completely understand that the 3-4 has been the dominant defense since the creation of football. Yet things are changing where the
traditional outside linebackers can now flow into rolls as defensive ends to help the lineman or even defensive ends dropping back to help the linwbackers. So now there are many variations of the 3-4 due to the talent levels going way up since the conception of the 3-4.

Football isn't what is used to be even 5-10 years ago. Pee Wee football is even playing spread offenses and shit.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0