BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Xin1120
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupé

Garage List
Angry Tire drama BAH!

So I get a tire pressure warning on my dash so I decided to take it in for a check up. The dealer told me there was a puncture somewhere on the tire but don't know where and recommended me to replace it but since I only have a bit over 8k miles on my car, I decided to get them to fill up the tire and headed to Discount Tire Co. to try a patch and plug.

Discount Tire Co. took off the tire and found out where was no air in the tire, which was a huge surprise to me since the dealer had just told me they filled it up. They also found that the tire did not have a puncture and it was the TPMS sensor that was the cause and problem of the leak. In addition, since I drove the tire on no air, the runflat's walls are now a bit bent and have lines on them so as a result I have to replace it. I managed to get them to replace the sensor and put the tire back on with the promise that I will replace the tire soon.

Anyone think I could talk to the dealer about this? Is the TPMS covered under warranty? I'm a bit ticked since the dealer told me they filled it back to pressure and it wasn't which is now the reason I have to replace the tire. Also TPMS sensor is the cause for it and not the tire, shouldn't the dealer have to replace my tire? I didn't buy the tire protection plan from BMW but shouldn't this not need it since it wasn't the tire's fault but the sensor? Has anyone had the same problem or been in a similar situation?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin1120 View Post
So I get a tire pressure warning on my dash so I decided to take it in for a check up. The dealer told me there was a puncture somewhere on the tire but don't know where and recommended me to replace it but since I only have a bit over 8k miles on my car, I decided to get them to fill up the tire and headed to Discount Tire Co. to try a patch and plug.

Discount Tire Co. took off the tire and found out where was no air in the tire, which was a huge surprise to me since the dealer had just told me they filled it up. They also found that the tire did not have a puncture and it was the TPMS sensor that was the cause and problem of the leak. In addition, since I drove the tire on no air, the runflat's walls are now a bit bent and have lines on them so as a result I have to replace it. I managed to get them to replace the sensor and put the tire back on with the promise that I will replace the tire soon.

Anyone think I could talk to the dealer about this? Is the TPMS covered under warranty? I'm a bit ticked since the dealer told me they filled it back to pressure and it wasn't which is now the reason I have to replace the tire. Also TPMS sensor is the cause for it and not the tire, shouldn't the dealer have to replace my tire? I didn't buy the tire protection plan from BMW but shouldn't this not need it since it wasn't the tire's fault but the sensor? Has anyone had the same problem or been in a similar situation?
TPMS should be covered. As long as there is no visible damage to the tire and wheel that would have caused damage to the TPMS. Hopefully you got something in writing from Discount Tire. Bring the car back to service and insist on speaking to the Service Manager. I would think if a defective part caused damage to another part that should be covered as well. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Xin1120
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i will try Monday and see what happens
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
Hairy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Black

But wait....

THERE WAS NO AIR IN THE TIRE

That didn't happen because the tps was bad. Something else caused the air to go away. something like a hole in the tire?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

SAME thing happened to me on 2 separate wheels.

The TPMS came slightly loose. Just tighten the nuts down fill and there good to go...
BMW said it wasn't possible.. but that was MY problem..

see my thread

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224283

Last edited by john08135i; 05-18-2009 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
That's going to be a tough case........good luck though

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
SAME thing happened to me on 2 separate wheels.

The TPMS came slightly loose. Just tighten the nuts down fill and there good to go...
BMW said it wasn't possible.. but that was MY problem..

see my thread
I had the exact same issue.

I got the Tire Warning, stopped and aired it up and checked for leaks, found nothing.

Next day, warning comes on again. Same thing. I took it down to the tire shop, guy pulls it off the car and can't find the leak, so he puts it back on and puts 50PSI in it. After 10 minutes it had dropped to 42PSI, and we're both standing there scratching out heads.

Took it back off, dunked it in the tank again, and we saw a couple of bubbles coming from around the valve stem. All four of them were finger tight. It's a quality control issue without a doubt, but I'm not sure you're going to convince BMW to cover a replacement tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Xin1120
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm trying to contact the service manager, I'll go up to BMWNA if i have to. I'll keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Xin1120
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
But wait....

THERE WAS NO AIR IN THE TIRE

That didn't happen because the tps was bad. Something else caused the air to go away. something like a hole in the tire?
Discount Tire found no puncture, I was there to see it too. My biggest gripe is that the dealer told me it was filled back up 20minutes before Discount Tire took it off.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
deeb
boss.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just get the 4 new Direzzas 225 up front 255 on the rear.
      05-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

hmmmm!
      05-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Xin1120
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The dealer won't fix it. Said it wasn't their fault. The service guy in the back told me the wheel will be okay to drive on. I'm trying to determine if I should take this up higher or not. The service manager was extremely rude and left the dealership without even telling me while we were in the middle of talking about the situation. WTF is with that?

My tires have about 8500 miles on them and i'm thinking about replacing them with the Direzzas i've been hearing and researching about. What do you guys think? Should I just wear these out and forget about it?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin1120 View Post
The dealer won't fix it. Said it wasn't their fault. The service guy in the back told me the wheel will be okay to drive on. I'm trying to determine if I should take this up higher or not. The service manager was extremely rude and left the dealership without even telling me while we were in the middle of talking about the situation. WTF is with that?

My tires have about 8500 miles on them and i'm thinking about replacing them with the Direzzas i've been hearing and researching about. What do you guys think? Should I just wear these out and forget about it?
Yea i had to suck it up.. i bought Yokohama S-drives.. there great so far 7k miles on them now.. quiet.. grippy.. wearing well