F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > World Cup 2014
Studio RSR

06-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #67
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 328 [Sold]

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
I was about to post

YAY!
Italy and Ivory Coast won.

lol

I'm hoping Japan makes it past the group, I'm not worried about Netherlands, I feel like they're gonna make it easy. England needs to get their shit together and the US...well...it's the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #68
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryshortbloke View Post
lol

I'm hoping Japan makes it past the group, I'm not worried about Netherlands, I feel like they're gonna make it easy. England needs to get their shit together and the US...well...it's the US.
Japan had a great shot at beating Ivory. I think the rain may have been the factor. I agree with what you said about England. Too many defenders on Italy's back field.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:35 AM   #69
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
England's entire defense played like butt. Specially Cahill and Baines. In the midfield things weren't any better, on the other hand Italy's mid field were superb. It was a great match to match though, worth staying awake.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #70
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Japan had a great shot at beating Ivory. I think the rain may have been the factor. I agree with what you said about England. Too many defenders on Italy's back field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
England's entire defense played like butt. Specially Cahill and Baines. In the midfield things weren't any better, on the other hand Italy's mid field were superb. It was a great match to match though, worth staying awake.
I was hearing that Rooney played like shit the second half. I didn't get to watch either of the matches (England/Japan), was at a party I shouldn't have been at haha

Watching the Swiss v Ecuador, Switzerland seems like they'll do well.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #71
nesrevival
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC 07'

No way against Drogod sorry Japan
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #72
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

I've been watching some World Cup action and the games have been good. However, as someone who was a serious soccer player as a teenager(my team was the second ranked team in the country in 1990) it's really hard to watch these supposed serious athletes fake these injuries left and right. I don't see how their pride allows it. I think it ruins the game and makes soccer/football players come off as complete pussies. Throw in the copius amounts of hair gel and it just gets ridiculous. You'd never see an American football player that gets leveled on a cross route fake an injury. They pop up as quick as possible so their opponent doesn't think he hurt him. Oh the shame. I keep watching though.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #73
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Federer View Post
I've been watching some World Cup action and the games have been good. However, as someone who was a serious soccer player as a teenager(my team was the second ranked team in the country in 1990) it's really hard to watch these supposed serious athletes fake these injuries left and right. I don't see how their pride allows it. I think it ruins the game and makes soccer/football players come off as complete pussies. Throw in the copius amounts of hair gel and it just gets ridiculous. You'd never see an American football player that gets leveled on a cross route fake an injury. They pop up as quick as possible so their opponent doesn't think he hurt him. Oh the shame. I keep watching though.
It's a different sport, take it for what it is and evaluate it accordingly.

You are comparing to guys built like tanks and who wear body armor on top!

Since you played the sport, surely you should know how rugged the game used to be pre-1992/3. There are a lot of players that lost knees back then.
      06-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #74
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
+1. There is so much flopping and flailing around its stupid. These guys are athletes and act like children. Should be penalized, it's far too obvious no real contact has occurred.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #75
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
9 matches and no draws. One of the best WC starts in recent memory. The fact that many countries have taken some younger squads makes for a more attacking brand of football and also more mistakes on defense. This should make the occasional American fan happy who always complains about nil-nil draws!
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #76
simmo1985
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Quote:
If you really want to compare Football to a real mans team sport try Rugby...no helmets and body armor there and hits just as hard.

I completely get what your saying though. There has been way too much play acting going on at this world cup and football(soccer) in general. Its got much worse over the last 2-3 years i've noticed. The refs and FA's need to start seriously clamping down on it as its pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #77
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo1985 View Post
If you really want to compare Football to a real mans team sport try Rugby...no helmets and body armor there and hits just as hard.

I completely get what your saying though. There has been way too much play acting going on at this world cup and football(soccer) in general. Its got much worse over the last 2-3 years i've noticed. The refs and FA's need to start seriously clamping down on it as its pathetic.
No doubt about it. Rugby players are balls-to-the-wall tough. We don't get much rugby coverage where I live but what little I've seen has not included endless attempts to fake an injury. Those guys, like American football players, consider themselves tough as nails and I don't think their egos would allow injury faking. That's what is so confounding about soccer. Those guys view themselves as elite athletes with outsized egos so I don't see how they can fake an injury to the point of rolling around in the fetal position appearing as if they are crying.

As a counter to my criticism, the games I've watched so far have been very entertaining.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #78
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
It's a different sport, take it for what it is and evaluate it accordingly.

You are comparing to guys built like tanks and who wear body armor on top!

Since you played the sport, surely you should know how rugged the game used to be pre-1992/3. There are a lot of players that lost knees back then.
How did i not evaluate that accordingly? Are you saying you understand and support the faking of an injury? Do you enjoy seeing an athlete you might admire roll around like a 6 year old girl? I think sportsmanship is sportsmanship regardless of the sport. I can't think of another elite sport where faking an injury wouldn't be considered unsportsmanlike conduct. The safety equipment in any given sport has no bearing on faking an injury. You either got injured legitimately or you didn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #79
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Japan shows fatigue and poor passes in Second Half....
      06-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #80
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

The French team is vicious. They attack like crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #81
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How did i not evaluate that accordingly? Are you saying you understand and support the faking of an injury? Do you enjoy seeing an athlete you might admire roll around like a 6 year old girl? I think sportsmanship is sportsmanship regardless of the sport. I can't think of another elite sport where faking an injury wouldn't be considered unsportsmanlike conduct. The safety equipment in any given sport has no bearing on faking an injury. You either got injured legitimately or you didn't.
Happens too much in NBA also.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #82
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Happens too much in NBA also.
So I've heard. I only watch at finals time so basketball knowledge is lacking. I would call that bad sportsmanship too. However, there is much more high impact contact in basketball than there is soccer.

Also, I've been watching the finals this year and can't really say that injury faking has stood out to me. Watch a soccer game for 5 minutes and it's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #83
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I've heard. I only watch at finals time so basketball knowledge is lacking. I would call that bad sportsmanship too. However, there is much more high impact contact in basketball than there is soccer.

Also, I've been watching the finals this year and can't really say that injury faking has stood out to me. Watch a soccer game for 5 minutes and it's a different story.
Agreed. It's less injury faking and just exaggerates contact to draw fouls.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #84
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
While all the injury faking and whatnot is annoying, there is a strategy behind it. Trying to draw fouls and penalties to help their odds.

It's annoying and I don't like it, but that's soccer.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #85
ClamDigger
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xi, Premium & Sport

Watched the opening game in a sports bar in Vegs with a couple hundred Brazilians. That was quite an experience.

Very entertaining games so far. Doesn't look like they're playing for draws which is a welcome change.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #86
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Bosnia played well. They were the better team in the first half. I didn't expect such performance for a first timer.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #87
simmo1985
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Quote:
No doubt about it. Rugby players are balls-to-the-wall tough. We don't get much rugby coverage where I live but what little I've seen has not included endless attempts to fake an injury. Those guys, like American football players, consider themselves tough as nails and I don't think their egos would allow injury faking. That's what is so confounding about soccer. Those guys view themselves as elite athletes with outsized egos so I don't see how they can fake an injury to the point of rolling around in the fetal position appearing as if they are crying.

As a counter to my criticism, the games I've watched so far have been very entertaining.
Defineately, it's the worst part of the the beautiful game. Another gripe for me is the disrespect shown to refs. Decision goes against them and several players get all up in his face whinging like little babies. They seriously need to man up and take the tackles and decisions on the chin.

Apart from the above I've really enjoyed the rest of the World Cup so far. Even England looked half decent for once(compared to previous tournaments) even though we lost we looked technically better than ever and strung more than 3 or 4 passes together on quite a few occasions. Although, there's still lots to improve on as they still panicked a few times and went route one instead of retaining possession.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #88
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

England Italy, Italy was just better. English defense is a mess....

Argentina Bosnia exactly at midnight overhere I did not watch.

Tonight at 18:00 CET Germany-Portugal.

I hate to say it as a Dutchman but Go Deutschland.

Portugal vs NL the last > decade was nothing but trouble...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0