F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall
GetBMWParts

10-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #177
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90user2010 View Post
Has anyone really thought about this. Are they having the same problems in Europe? Is the gas better there???

What fuel does everyone use in the cars? High octane? Good gas not the mom and pap shops where the ethanol is usually higher.

It's kinda like the 1995 v8 engines. I've seen these cars with 190k miles original owner using 91 octane the whole life. Never went to cosco or Safeway for gas.

Also the new recall requires software and fuel pump.
No, an Austrian member on the E89 forum just complained of his HPFP dying on him. Not a US-only problem.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447860

I think the reason why HPFP problems seem so common in the U.S. is that BMW doesn't sell cars with the smaller engines over here, so a higher percentage of U.S. cars have the N54 engine in them than in other parts of the world.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #178
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
I haven't seen that. I've only seen a couple threads of someone saying their HPFP had failed on their '09 or '10. But when pressed for details, they weren't sure about their exact pump model.

If you have seen any threads of people who's pumps have failed, where they knew it was the 943 pump, I'd like to see them. If I can verify that 943 pumps are failing, then I'll head in for the recall.
You haven't seen the reported 943 and 933 failures? Read more.

The input of my SA and shop foreman helped too. It doesn't mean you should head in for sure, but you can bet your ass there isn't an engineered fix in circulation right now unless we haven't been informed of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #179
pantherfan69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335D  [0.00]
what is weird is I havent seen anyone report the problem with the diesel engines, I thought they used the same pump? If it doesnt fail pushing the diesel fuel, maybe it is the fuel?
      10-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #180
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherfan69 View Post
what is weird is I havent seen anyone report the problem with the diesel engines, I thought they used the same pump? If it doesnt fail pushing the diesel fuel, maybe it is the fuel?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=388388

Google search to the rescue.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #181
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
With all this talk of gas being a possible culprit, I'm wondering if there's a difference in who you buy your gas from. For instance, are those who purchase V-Power from Shell have more/less/same issues than someone who buys from BP, Costco, or some other station. I don't know if there's any difference in the amount of ethanol from station to station, but this is something that might need to be researched (if not done so already).

The HPFP on mine was replaced back in March 2010 (by previous owner). That was around 61k (roughly) and it now has approx 68k. Since I've owned it, I haven't had any problems, other than the SES and engine malf light playing tag w/ea other. No symptoms; just lights.

I mostly use Shell's V-Power.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #182
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
I for one will not let BMW mess up with my car until I hear that the recall actually fixes the problem, or when my car's pump fails, whichever comes first.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #183
HISI808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRLPWR View Post
With all this talk of gas being a possible culprit, I'm wondering if there's a difference in who you buy your gas from. For instance, are those who purchase V-Power from Shell have more/less/same issues than someone who buys from BP, Costco, or some other station. I don't know if there's any difference in the amount of ethanol from station to station, but this is something that might need to be researched (if not done so already).

The HPFP on mine was replaced back in March 2010 (by previous owner). That was around 61k (roughly) and it now has approx 68k. Since I've owned it, I haven't had any problems, other than the SES and engine malf light playing tag w/ea other. No symptoms; just lights.

I mostly use Shell's V-Power.

Someone tried to do a study about different types of gas

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ferrerid=95864
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #184
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HISI808 View Post
Someone tried to do a study about different types of gas

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ferrerid=95864
Ooohhh. Eh, it was worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #185
Jedclampet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Black

Fwiw mine went this weekend a 2010 135. So while on hold this Sunday
am waiting for an operator on BMW assist for an extended period of time
I was told their expirences unusally long delays. When the wrecker came
some time later he informed me it was his 4th BMW turbo pick up today,
this was at 11am. He went on to say that BMW has been keeping them very busy and knew all too well of the recall. When mine went into limp mode
it was good for about a 1/2 mile and almost left me in the middle of a busy circle. I was told that his wrecking co. would be delivering my car and many others on Monday. Guess I best not plan on getting it back anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #186
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

can someone please tell me if this new update would interfere with any tune in any way?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #187
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
No, I won't give you a break, so don't ask. I'm sick and tired of the bitching and moaning about every f**king issue that comes up with these cars. I have had them all, and you know what, sh*t happens, and people need not to blow it out of proportion with "I was so scared".......so you GIVE ME A BREAK.

This country is full of people who just are never happy, live to bitch and moan, and love to sue over nothing. It is to the point where if someone crashes their car in the snow, they will ask why the car didn't have some warning telling them snow makes the roads slippery.......its enough already.

Cheers,
e46e92
I think you should take a deep breathe and rethink this, as you're not coming off well at all. Sure there are lots of bitchers here and elsewhere expecting perfection. But one's car suddenly failing to run is not a minor problem. This isn't power windows failing or orange peel in the paint. When said car costs $40-$80K it's understandable that some folks are upset.

Imagine you're in the left lane on I-285 in Atlanta when it goes into limp mode. That happens and you are gonna die!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #188
dotnetmaster
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubble bubble View Post
BMW USA has issued a recall. BMW USA has extended the fuel pump warranty to 6 years, 120k miles. BMW Canada has done neither. Transport Canada has ZERO safety complaints about the BMW HPFP.

If you are in Canada and drive a 335, 135 or 535, please do the following:
1 - Take 5 minutes and fill out the "Online Public Defects Form" - third link on the attached page. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...s-index-76.htm
2 - Call BMW Canada at 1-800-567-2691, press 1 for English, 0 for a live person. Register a complaint that BMW Canada has not extended the warranty or issue the recall like BMW USA has on the exact same car/issue.
3 - Forward this information to any other BMW owners with the same "35" engine and ask them to follow up, especially if they have had a fuel pump failure.

You'll need your VIN for the Transport Canada complaint form.

Only if we, Canadian BMW Owners, accumulate a critical mass of complaints will BMW Canada give us the same warranty and recall that BMW USA does.
After talking to my Canadian BMW dealer (Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver) and confirming that BMW Canada hasn't issued a similar voluntary recall, I just filled out the compliant form on Transport Canada web site and will be contacting BMW Canada soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #189
wannabe_MW
Private
Rep
Drives: 01 accord

failed design = refund! BMW should refund everyone that has to deal with this ridiculous fuel pump problem. LEMONS, there is NOTHING BUT BMW LEMONS!
Hurray ABC!!! Thank you for exposing this huge problem to the people! BMW NEEDS TO PAY US FOR HAVING TO DEAL WITH THIS FUEL PUMP HEADACHE!
Appreciate 0