E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > EVO driver new to site from MD

05-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Edison.528
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution

Question EVO driver new to site from MD

Hey guys im new to this site i currently own a 2003 EVO and im looking to get a 335i coupe. What would you guys say? I know i will lose all the power i currently have but i feel like im done with the whole racing and trying to be the best one around game.... I want to be able to pull somewhere and look good, but at the same time still handle business out on the road when it presents itself. I currently push 336WHP and 364WTQ but with the other parts i havent installed yet i will easily look at 420WHP. You guys think its worth it? AND its not a cheap looking car. its one of the Cleanes ones you will ever see. I will post pics of my EVO when its out the shop (getting new hood) and see what you guys think. THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Dont care. Its your choice. Keep the evo.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
AS335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, f30 330i

Garage List
2017 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Your on a BMW fan forum, so what do you think everyone is going to say? EVOs are badass, if I could I would get both! But since your on a BMW forum, GET THE 335, ITS AWESOME
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Welcome man. Read the Thread about HPFP problems. People here are pushing 420+ to the wheel with piggybacks and some bolt ons. the 335i Turbos (funny enought, Designed by Mitsubishi) are not the strong point of this car. but Turbo Upgrades are developed now. looking forward to HPF kit. EPL has their Turbo upgrades too. All and All, great car 335 is.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Edison.528
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have intercooler,pipes,cams,full exhaust, intake and tune that will get me to 420.... but DAMN the beamer looks AMAZING... i figured this wont be the best place to ask if i should get a 335i cause everyone would say yes... and if i go on EvolutionM everyone will tell me a dumb ass and trader! hahahah but what would you say is the BIGGEST issue? im turning 21 so im not rich or anything and i heard things for these arent cheap... but if i get one it WILL be Certafied Pre-owned and it should come with the 100K warranty so i should be covered...Right? lol
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison.528 View Post
I have intercooler,pipes,cams,full exhaust, intake and tune that will get me to 420.... but DAMN the beamer looks AMAZING... i figured this wont be the best place to ask if i should get a 335i cause everyone would say yes... and if i go on EvolutionM everyone will tell me a dumb ass and trader! hahahah but what would you say is the BIGGEST issue? im turning 21 so im not rich or anything and i heard things for these arent cheap... but if i get one it WILL be Certafied Pre-owned and it should come with the 100K warranty so i should be covered...Right? lol
yes you will be covered but you gotta watch out when you go to the dealer (take off or disengage mods) also dont worry bout HPFP because it is covered till 120k miles. the only PITA is bringing in the car to get fixed if HPFP issue occurs
      05-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
AS335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, f30 330i

Garage List
2017 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just read around the forums and search, you would be surprised at how much you will learn. But the biggest issue for the 335i would probably be the HPFP issues that it has, and the overheating. Some people have gotten a HPFP fail as soon as they leave the lot with their brand new 335i. But most 335s have a 120k mile and 10 year warranty on the HPFP and BMW will lemon your car after 3 failures, so the HPFP issue isn't too bad anymore. BMW also has new software out that supposedly is supposed to make the HPFP not fail as much.

Another kinda big issue is the 335s overheating problem. If you plan on tracking the car and really pushing it, the 335 might overheat after a few laps. But again, thats only if your looking to track the car, and aftermarket oil coolers can be bought to help with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Until they catch you with mods, axe your warranty, and you have to sell the car because you cant afford to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
It will have a warranty until its modded to hell There are some ways to try to get around it though, too much risk for someone like me. Just an FYI these cars are warrantied to 50k, not 100k. 120k for the HPFP, and you'll NEED that one.

I previously had a much more unrefined though faster car as well. Had a blown Mustang GT making around 500whp...I miss that massive thrust but the refinement is in a different league and this car is a great overall package (even though its not quite a 335i...us 1er guys can chime in on this!)
      05-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
hpfp(which is covered from bmw until 120k, the most recent pump has shown promise and we havent had a report of one fail yet *cross fingers*)

CPO takes the factory warranty from 4yr/50k to 6yr/100k(adds only 2 years but 50k in miles) which covers everything major that isnt considered maintenance(belts, brakes, fluids, filters etc.. you have to buy but i would recommend a private trusted shop to do the work after the free maintenance period) and you have a deductible once you get in the extended CPO part

if you get the 335 and get a JB3 tune, full exhuast, FMIC, coilovers, DCI you would be very pleased and will never go back to mitsibishi

just buy a Bavarian Technic tool to scan and clear any codes before taking it to the dealer, and make sure before doing those mods that the dealer you purchase from are cool about those type of mods, just dont mention the tune haha. You might have to wait on the FMIC(but others shouldnt be an issue as long as you remove the tune)
      05-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
MaxBoost335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 DCT ZCP

simple bolt on mods on the 335 and you'll be pushing 400+ to the wheels while still retaining a luxury ride and the class of a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Edison.528
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know i will kick my self after i ask this NOOB question but "HPFP" lol and yes i heard the Overheating issue is always there. So Far GREAT feed back and im 90% sure i will go with the 335i and sell my baby='( will be a sad day but i know i will be happy with the 335i. Im worried with the warranty.. What sould i go in the delearship and request.. i was told if CPO its till 100k and BMW covers till 50k.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know i will kick my self after i ask this NOOB question but "HPFP" lol and yes i heard the Overheating issue is always there. So Far GREAT feed back and im 90% sure i will go with the 335i and sell my baby='( will be a sad day but i know i will be happy with the 335i. Im worried with the warranty.. What sould i go in the delearship and request.. i was told if CPO its till 100k and BMW covers till 50k.
If you're really worried about the warranty, you can always not modify it

Otherwise Dinan and BMW Performance make some stuff to go faster that keeps you under warranty but is more conservative than the true aftermarket stuff.
      05-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CPO you can just take it to the dealer until 100k

HPFP is high pressure fuel pump

and trust me, YOU WANT A WARRANTY WITH ANY BMW!!!!!
      05-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #15
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTerp View Post
If you're really worried about the warranty, you can always not modify it

Otherwise Dinan and BMW Performance make some stuff to go faster that keeps you under warranty but is more conservative than the true aftermarket stuff.
Dinan reports any work done on a warranted BMW to BMWNA
      05-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #16
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Dinan reports any work done on a warranted BMW to BMWNA
It doesn't mean you lose a warranty on the car. One way or another any work will be covered. Particularly if you have a Dinan dealer around. I have never had or heard of a single person having an issue with a warranty claim on anything Dinan.
      05-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

High Pressure Fuel Pump.

The EVO is a much more capable track car off the lot. Modified? It's evidently more capable. I can't be sure but one of the best 335s in the country just won the rear wheel drive, street tire Time Attack. An EVO beat its time but it was in a different class.

In general, the 335 has a lot of issues you need to take car of to make it reliable if you drive hard. The EVO seems to be more naturally reliable as a hard driver/track car. You can answer that question.

Someone above stated that "I would have both if I could". I agree. Also, you are right, regarding the 335, about having a luxurious car that can also rip down the road.

In the end, the 335 is considered by many - and me - to be the perfect balance of performance, luxury and value.

The EVO is really just a killer car track car and hard driver.

...IMHO
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #18
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't mean you lose a warranty on the car. One way or another any work will be covered. Particularly if you have a Dinan dealer around. I have never had or heard of a single person having an issue with a warranty claim on anything Dinan.
i have, they will report to get your car warranty voided from what ive heard in the past...ill try to find proof but i might not be able too...and i might be wrong but ive read it before on here
      05-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
i have, they will report to get your car warranty voided from what ive heard in the past...ill try to find proof but i might not be able too...and i might be wrong but ive read it before on here
If BMW deems that the Dinan part caused the failure, they will make Dinan cover it. This could potentially happen with something like a clutch going because of the extra power. With something like the HPFP there is really no issue since that goes on a stock car as well. Regardless the customer isn't caught in the middle here, one way or another you will have warranty coverage.
      05-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #20
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If BMW deems that the Dinan part caused the failure, they will make Dinan cover it. This could potentially happen with something like a clutch going because of the extra power. With something like the HPFP there is really no issue since that goes on a stock car as well. Regardless the customer isn't caught in the middle here, one way or another you will have warranty coverage.
yea i was just reading that Dinan pretty much voids your warranty but is covered from them for the same 4yr/50k from a dinan licensed BMW dealer etc...still to much for me to risk IMO
      05-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #21
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Except the clutch isn't covered under warranty anyway
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #22
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Sold this to buy my E90. 98 Cobra with almost 600whp and fully modded suspension, I could pretty much outrun 95% of cars on the road in a straight line and around a corner. I don't regret it whatsoever. Every car I've owned has been fast with a stiff suspension. I've had my BMW for 2 days and everything about it makes me so happy that I switched up. Build quality is amazing and the car's power and handling is great for all road situations, even stock. Driving 80 miles a day for work is going to be a dream now.

I don't think I'll do any heavy modding anytime soon, but I can only imagine how awesome a 335 could be with 100 more hp and coilovers.
Appreciate 0