E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CCC w. DAB-->CIC w. DAB & reverse cam interface

06-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
Cybersloth
Registered
Rep
Drives: B3 Alpina

Talking CCC w. DAB-->CIC w. DAB & reverse cam interface

Well, after lots of deliberation, cost, gathering, hording and research I finally committed to upgrade my CCC (which had a DAB module) to a CIC (I was lucky enough to find one that had DAB).

By the way I have an E92 (2008) Alpina B3

I thought I would jot some notes here that might help others.

What I needed :-

New iDrive controller and trim (fortunately I had already fitted this too use with the old CCC)
New display unit
New display unit connector shell
Cable CIC to new display unit (buy the non OEM one that’s longer from eBay !!)
The CIC itself (my has DAB !  )
More patience than I am gifted with
The USB socket for the glove box (two types be careful, square hole USB only, oblong hole USB plus Line in jack)
The cable from the USB socket to the CIC
An Alpina527 in the wings for support, coding, advice, a shoulder to cry on, you will need one of these !
A MOST loopthrough plug
An emulator for voice and navigation activation (and in my case a rear camera interface and activation), also was bundled with an OEM style reverse camera(Bimmer Retrofit)
A DAB extension cable from the diversity antenna to the CIC head unit
A very efficient online coding session(Bimmer Retrofit) needed to enable the rear camera only (everything else worked first time, thanks to Ian (Alpina527)
D-Can cable for the above

What I have spare :-
A CCC
A CCC DAB module
A CCC display
A square USB socket (because I am an idiot)
A basic emulator ( I bought this originally but then wanted the rear camera interface)
A cheap and cheerful reverse camera built into a number plate light
An interface to connect a reverse cam (or any other video input) to a CCC, that automatically selects the reverse camera on selecting reverse using CanBus

What I used to have :-

CCC
CCC compatible display
DAB module in the boot
BMW assist (etc)
A module to allow a reverse camera to be attached to the CCC (display worked fine but did not have the OEM look
A cheap and cheerful reverse cam in a number plate lamp

What I have now :-

All signing all dancing CIC with OEM style reverse camera and DAB
A huge smile
BMW assist (etc)
Some dodgy drum and base tracks the previous owner left on the unit

What I want now :-

Combox Media
TCU/Mulf to Combox loom

Credits :-

Ian (Alpina527), without whom I would have bricked my car, CCC, CIC, DAB, etc
Bimmer Retrofit, the rear cam + voice and nav activation module works a treat, the iClick functionality in there emulator module is fantastic, the support is excellent and the online coding very efficient (and may not be needed if you have bang up to date software on your CIC.

Learning from experience :-

The CCC DAB module will not work with the CCC at all and cannot be made to so do not bother trying.

If you did have a CCC DAB module fitted, your brand new shiny CIC (with DAB if you were able to find one) will not work until the old CCC DAB is removed from the MOST loop and replaced with the MOST loopthrough plug.

If your car has a MOST diagnostic socket in the trim panel under the glove box, re-connect it before testing, failure to do so will result in tears when you have a fantastic installation and NO sound !

Installation is easy, the hardest part was running the DAB extension cable from the diversity antenna to the CIC (actually just section from the antenna, across the headlining to the ‘C’ pillar, the rest was easy), if you install a CIC without DAB, then the install will be easy peasy !

The emulator is a large lump, loosen the CIC mounting cage, then push it right out of the way (I went behind and right of the cage) so it does not take any space within the cage at all.

Buy, beg, borrow or steal your own Ian (Alpina527), this is an essential pre-requisite for success.

If you don’t want a reverse camera then the simple (and cheap) emulator work just fine.

Keith

Last edited by Cybersloth; 06-26-2014 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: spotted an error
Appreciate 0