E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is the 335i a shit car to own?

Closed Thread

01-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #45
msitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

I always thought owning a BMW would be the ultimate. Since owning one I have made numerous observations about the brand. First and foremost, never own a BMW out of warranty. This is a car my wife had to have due to her love of European convertibles. The car has been plagued with numerous sensor failures, all handled satisfactorily and probably expensively by the BMW CPO extended maintenance and warranty. This car will be gone at the time the warranty runs out as I do not want to have to save up to get it fixed. I have little patience for car issues and because my wife insisted on this car I have washed my hands of it and she schedules all service and repair appointments. I will admit that at every service call the issues have been handled completely and professionally and the car is returned cleaned and serviced. She has Dennis, her service adviser on speed dial. Just too many issues for me. Enough that I have gotten the BMW bug out of my system.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #46
petrolheaduzman
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyComputers View Post
First off all rolex's never tell the right time .. DO U WANT TO OWN ROLEX OR A FOSIL

I buy all my cars.... just buy it right and you won't feeel bad about loosing a little bit of money.... the car is awsome.. buy it used too who wants to keep a car forever 1-2 years is more then enuff then sell it for few thousands lesss....

ALL CARS BREAK... espesially if u beat on them go CPO

also CPO is awsome you don't need to worry about things... just make sure you don't pay to much... what ever you pay make sure you can sell it for the same price

and if you can't aford to fix it or pay for CPO warranty then your not BMW material sorry
Thanks for the advice, but I was just worried about sudden 5 grand repairs. I am factoring in about $3000 a year for maintenance and repairs. I only drive 6k miles a year.

BMW's can be very reliable cars more than toyotas in some cases, just depends how well you maintain them. Parents x5 4.4i has done 120k miles, nothing needed other than regular service, their 4 runner had gone numerous times into the shop in the same period.

I guess the only thing that is concerning me when i read forums like this one :

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464348

I know he tracked his car, but i want to keep my first car to give me minimal problems for until 130k miles, by than i will hopefully have done school and can move onto something like an M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #47
petrolheaduzman
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Thanks guys for all your point of view. This thread helped me out a lot, have a lot of respect for this community and everyone who helped me .

What do you guys think about this:

http://www.bshspeedshop.com/store/home.php?cat=1147

is it worth it for the 335i?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #48
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
it is the car to own
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #49
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msitter View Post
I always thought owning a BMW would be the ultimate. Since owning one I have made numerous observations about the brand. First and foremost, never own a BMW out of warranty. This is a car my wife had to have due to her love of European convertibles. The car has been plagued with numerous sensor failures, all handled satisfactorily and probably expensively by the BMW CPO extended maintenance and warranty. This car will be gone at the time the warranty runs out as I do not want to have to save up to get it fixed. I have little patience for car issues and because my wife insisted on this car I have washed my hands of it and she schedules all service and repair appointments. I will admit that at every service call the issues have been handled completely and professionally and the car is returned cleaned and serviced. She has Dennis, her service adviser on speed dial. Just too many issues for me. Enough that I have gotten the BMW bug out of my system.
Off topic, but curious as to what Brand you would rather own?
      01-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #50
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolheaduzman View Post
Thanks guys for all your point of view. This thread helped me out a lot, have a lot of respect for this community and everyone who helped me .

What do you guys think about this:

http://www.bshspeedshop.com/store/home.php?cat=1147

is it worth it for the 335i?
There's no consensus on this. You're going to have to and just see what you think. I personally don't use one and I don't have many friends with 335s who do...but it seems that lots of people think they're a good idea. I think there's a huge difference between how much oil gets caught between individual cars...I've seen people who have said the OCC has never caught a drop and some who have to empty it all the time.

01-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #51
///MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 35iS

u plan on keeping it for 160,000 miles?!?!? i love my 335 but i dont think its gonna be the most reliable car after 100k
      01-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #52
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

id look into lexus if you wanted a nice car with good power and reliability. i almost did but the bmw was way cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #53
Zasquatch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I absolutly LOVE my 335i. Enough said.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #54
ThreeseriesFTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

The HPFP is the primary reason I bought this car.

Consumer reports blasted this car's reliability primarily because of that, and so the price came way down...but now that bmw (hopefully) came out with a permanent fix, I bought it before anyone could figure out they had just been jacked. I pretty much stole a super-car from the dealership.
      01-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #55
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by corb View Post
The HPFP is the primary reason I bought this car.

Consumer reports blasted this car's reliability primarily because of that, and so the price came way down...but now that bmw (hopefully) came out with a permanent fix, I bought it before anyone could figure out they had just been jacked. I pretty much stole a super-car from the dealership.
how much did u get the car for?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #56
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

go CPO and you will save at least 15k in initial hit, extended warrantee, bigger smiles on your face
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #57
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

There is no excuse for ANY car being unreliable regardless of how well it performs. BMWs are mass market cars and most people buy them for transportation. It is totally reasonable to expect them to be relaible. If BMW can not build relaible cars they are going to start alienating customers and loosing market share.

FWIW my 335i has been very reliable so based on my sample of one BMWs are reliable.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-11-2011 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #58
Magic Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
What kind of idiotic question is this?Here's your answer...335 is a shitbox if i were you I would purchase a 5 year old toyota where you could easily get 300k miles...There's your stupid answer
Why so much vitriol? The prior post was well thought out and well presented... your post was just nasty. Especially with the nice "barf" touch...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #59
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Thumbs down

Quote:
Read the beginning of this thread before making such unnecessary comments. Thank you for the useless advice.
I read it but you bore me,Oh and I won't waste another minute of my life reading that dribble besides don't waste your time replying to me when you should be searching for that 250k mile car.....Bimmers are a piece of shit!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #60
Dvdman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 and 2007 M6

It is worth it...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #61
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Hi There,

I just joined this forum and was looking into buying a 335i with the n54 engine. I finally saved up enough and am ready to buy my first car. So my question is that what are the common problems with these cars? Has the HPFP problems been fixed? Since this is my first car i plan on keeping it for until 250k or 160miles. Whats the typical life of the turbos? Should i look out for any diverter valve issues as i read that a lot of cars that run the air through the engine instead of a bov have a sludge manifold problems.

Also what are some reliability upgrades you guys recommend? (catch can system, bigger intercooler, bigger oil cooler) Whats the problem with putting a bov on the n54 engine?

I know these are a lot of questions, but since I am putting a lot of savings into this purchase and plan on keeping it for long I want to be sure, this will a reliable car for me. I have driven my friends 335i and I am totally hooked.

Thanks A lot for the future advice.
Yes, our car is shit. Please go buy a nissan. http://myg37.com/forums/index.php
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #62
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
I understand that, my parent old e46 330i has about 140miles on it and i runs fine.What makes me a little nervous is that it is forced induction. Assuming everything is maintained to factory specifications (except shorter oil change intervals of 4000miles, and transmission and diff oil every 60miles) do you think this car would last 160 miles. just gentle driving and track use or hard driving.
Yes I think my 335i will make it to 160K miles. I, on the other hand, may not. LOL (I don't drive very much. I put 20K on this past year-- definitely a fluke -- but in the first three years, I put only 19K miles on the car.) FWIW, my prior BMW was a 1993 318i. The astounding thing to me about that car was that even when I disposed of it, the engine didn't need rebuilding...eventually though, its new owners did rebuild it (200K miles).

I don't know forced induction from forced forfeit, sorry. I trust that the manufacturer would not have built and sold me a piece of crap. They value their reputation too much to do that.

I must admit that me thinks thou dost protesteth too much. No rudeness intended. I just feel that if you are buying a new BMW (maybe you aren't?) that you likely have the means not to have to worry about the durability of your car past 7 or 8 years, for there's little forcing you to keep it that long. So it either lasts or it doesn't.

If you are buying used, you should not buy one older than two years, IMO, but I"d say that with regard to any used vehicle, not just BMWs. That way you get the benefit of a good deal of time between the original warranty and the CPO one's expiration. You should also seek one with fewer than 20K miles on the clock. If you are buying a used BMW that doesn't meet those criteria, you should be prepared to accept the risk (it's a risk with any car, and it's certainly true that it may be a risk that never materializes) that the money you saved currently by buying an older vehicle may be money you'll need to spend over the course of the coming years to obtain service and repairs.

As I'm certain you realize these things, I don't really understand why all the fuss. By the nature of your questions, you seem to know quite a bit about cars. Use your best judgment; it will serve you well...There's little doubt that the 328i you already own is likely to be be the more durable and less costly car to own over the long haul.

You've already observed that the 335i is an intoxicating car. All intoxicating activities require one pay the piper...eventually. FWIW, in large measure, you can obtain most of the benefits of the current 335i in an e46 M3 which you can buy at very reasonable prices, even the ones in excellent condition. My dealer had one a few weeks ago that could be had for $14 USD. I seriously considered buying it to give to a family member, but because I got a very good deal on a 2011 328i sedan, I didn't. You may want to consider buying one and keeping your 328i....

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #63
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
Why so much vitriol? The prior post was well thought out and well presented... your post was just nasty. Especially with the nice "barf" touch...
Ah I didn't mean for it to come off that bad but sometimes people post the most ridiculous topics such as even mention a bimmer as a piece of shit bothers me,I think that you could understand.You not liking the barf too much huh?lol how's this
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #64
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Just get CPO and keep a couple grand in the bank in case something happens. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #65
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Waah!

The OP is a bad man!

He said mean things about BMW.

I'm telling my Mommy!

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #66
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
BMW's can be very reliable cars more than toyotas in some cases, just depends how well you maintain them.
Euh, *no*.

Reliability has not that much to do with maintenance. Of course, you have to do at least the basic, but top E9X issues are not maintenance related.

My warranty will be over in 2 months. I'll be on my own and I "plan" to keep it up to May 2015.

*Crossing my fingers about the electrical water pump*.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread