BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
thinkgs
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i - Alpine White

Lightbulb The myths of moving to Non-RFTs

This thread is meant to inform those who are interested in knowing more about the move from RFT to Non-RFT tires (tire noobs). This information is my opinion, and you may have your own, so please share.

We all hate the price tag on a new set of run flats, which can typically run you $200-$250 per tire after tax (tirerack). Not to mention, you can expect to get less than 30k out of a set and there's little variety. It is no surprise that BMW likes them so much with the price tag and frequency of replacement. In fact, in my most recent visit to the stealership, they offered me ONE new RFT installed for a mere $500

On the other hand, they do offer some sense of comfort to those wary of road hazards, leaks, and blow outs. I will also admit that RFTs do provide a stiffer, tighter drive and they certainly let you feel every little bump in the road (if that's what you're into).

This week, I made the switch to non-RFTs after two of my tires reached their treadwear indicators. I made the decision to replace all four tires with the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology. This Low Rolling Resistance, all-season tire comes with a much smaller price tag and a much longer tread-life, and after two days of spirited driving, I must say, I'm glad I made the switch.

During my quest for tires, I did an unnecessary amount of research (as usual). I found several articles and opinions for and against the switch to Non-RFTs and I was hesitant to make a quick decision.

Here's a quick guide to the realm of Non-RFTs:

The dealership recommends that I stay with RFTs.
Don't be so naive, do your research and make your own decisions.

Will Non-RFTs work with my current TPMS sensors?
YES (in my experience), with stock wheels and 205/50/R17s. Just tell your tire shop to be careful with the sensors, when refitting the new tires.

Will my 128 ride differently?
YES, depending on the tire you choose, the feel of the road, will change. With my new Conti's, I feel less of the local pot-holes. In fact, highway bumps and uneven pavement are much less harsh to hardly even noticeable. We will get more into this below.

How about the cornering?
Again, this is entirely dependent on the tire you choose, but my Conti's corner very well. Instead of slipping and catching, I get an enjoyable squeal in most sharp turns. On the other hand, the steering feels mildly less tight as the sidewalls on an RFT are stiffer and don't provide as much "cushion" around tight corners.

How does the road feel?
Well, this is a loaded question for most drivers, and is based entirely on preference; however, I am enjoying the comfort of the ride. In some aspects, the RFT might give the vehicle a more harsh, but tighter feel that some drivers may prefer. If you're driving on poorly maintained city roads and you complain about the bumps, then you may want to switch to Non-RFTs. Your life will be smoother.

What am I supposed to do if I get a flat?
If you could afford a BMW, then you can probably afford AAA. If you live in the sticks where AAA doesn't provide speedy coverage, then you might consider the ContiComfortKit ($79 tirerack) or a low-profile spare tire (~$300). If you are concerned about frequent flats, then stick with your RFTs and be paranoid.

What Non-RFTs are available for my 128i?
Click here.

What are the advantages of Non-RFTs?
  • Lower price
  • Longer tread-life
  • More comfort
  • Larger variety of tires to choose from

What are the disadvantages of Non-RFTs?
  • Different ride
  • Don't "feel" the road as much
  • Pops, Leaks, and Blowouts could leave you stranded for a couple hours

I hope this has provided you with some idea of what to expect in the switch from RFTs to Non-RFTs. I highly recommend getting our of those RFT sheos and throwing on some non-RFTs. It will make a world of difference on your ride and your wallet.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
thanks for the write up. I agree that non RFT makes it comfortable, slightly different feel, but in the end worth it

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
DNG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Great info. Perfect timing as I'm also doing research on non-RFT
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Yaybeer2001
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 135i

Made the switch to Michellin super sports and never looked back. Grip is vastly superior to any run flats, mileage warranty, and if you take care of em well, keep them at optimal psi and carry around a can/kit of flat temporary flat repair you don't need to be too worried about being stranded.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

You went with a low rolling resistance eco tire? If performance/safety isn't a concern why not just get a Prius and be done with it?
      04-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
You went with a low rolling resistance eco tire? If performance/safety isn't a concern why not just get a Prius and be done with it?
Duh. It's a 128i. hahahahaahahaha kidding. You left that one open!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
What a zinger.
      04-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The main thing to keep in mind when switching from RFT to non RFT... is that the non RFT will have less turn-in feel. Meaning the slip angles feel greater or the steering is ever so slightly LESS responsive when you first turn the wheel. BUT that is the only negative when comparing RFT to Non-RFT's. In every other category - regular tires perform better. Far better if you ask most 1Addicts.

It is also important to pick out a Ultra-High performance tire and not your average performing tire. This is why I choose to go with Michelin PS3's(or PSS's). Tires are the only thing that connects your car with the road. It is best not to skimp on tires.

One thing with "low rolling resistance eco tire's" is that they have LONG braking distances than normal tires. And much less than Ultra-HP tires. Also... they tend not to corner as well as "normal" tires(non eco).

Another important thing to consider is to choose a tire that has an XL rated sidewall... these tires can carry more sidewall load and are built with a stiffer side wall. This will help reduce the difference in turn-in response when switching from RFT to non RFT's.

And one last thing... IF your gonna stick with RFT's... make sure the RFT's have a STAR logo on the sidewall. This means that tire has been made for BMW cars with RFT's. The RFT's that do not have this star tend to ride much harder bc they are not tuned for BMW's. I have this problem with my (17")snow tires - they are RFT's but without the star logo(none were available when I needed snows). They ride rougher than my old RFT 18's summers.

Here is my review when switching from factory RFT's to non RFT's.

My new Michelin PS3’s 225’s & 255’s…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...chelin+PS3%27s
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Great write up and explanation of the differences. Very detailed!
      05-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
thinkgs
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Not ashamed to say I'll probably never take it to a track. I chose the eco-LRRs for their unrivaled tread-wear rating. I do most of my fun driving off-road in a 2001 Land Rover Discovery with 33" BFG MTs.
Appreciate 0