BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i sold / 08 E90 M3 sold

Thumbs up REVIEW: DTEC H8 V7 Cree Angel Eyes (64WATTS) / LED INTERIOR KIT

Stock

~40 ft with just the halos lit

~ 30 ft with v7 headlights on

Stock head lights at night time

After install of angel eyes picture at night

Passenger side bulb AFTER install. I thought it would help to know for all of you installing this where my heatsink ended up pointing AFTER it was installed lol. It's easy to get the light in there... but then you gotta figure out which way to turn the bulb into its socket and lock it in position. Hope this helps

Driver side bulb AFTER install. To be more precise, the actual heatsink should be more towards 11 o'clock.

Stock interior shot with interior lights on. Just as a side note, the drivers window was rolled down and i'm about 2 feet away from the drivers door. I didn't even post a picture from the front of the car with the interior lights turned on because it was basically looking like a speck of light on my camera l. Pointless. Basically shows how not bright the car was. NO flash was used, but there was a house light on about 20 feet away on the passenger side (if anything it should of helped the interior brightness.

Full led interior led 6k bulbs installed. HUGE difference. NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL. This picture was taken about 5 feet away from the front driver fender in the dark of night with no external lighting or flash.

Sidenotes: The inner ring as stated in other reviews ( http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...highlight=cree ) is brighter than the outside, but it's nothing to complain about in my opinion. It still looks good. Also, I think it's worth mentioning just like the OEM lamps, the rings do change PERCEIVED "brightness" based on viewing angle. This is not a flaw or a defect, but I believe it's just the nature of the beast. Happens with the stock headlights and happens with these. Only way to get rid of this would be full blown led rings which is besides the point of my review.

UPDATE

So some how during installation, it is/was possible for the red/black pins (plug which connects to the ballast) to become misaligned/ non touching. This lead to a short which my FMR2 module sensed and shut off power to the passenger side h8 socket. At least that's what my conclusion is lol. I was able to have my FMR2 module reset (via coding) and everything was back to normal. Derrick told me to avoid this problem happening to anyone else, he is now cementing the black and red wires which are in the plug itself so that they cannot move or become misaligned. Problem solved. If you are confused on which wires I am referring to, look at my pictures of the "after installed heat sink" pictures. When you look at the plug, there are two red circles and in those red plugs are 1 red wire and 1 black wire. Those are the wires that became misaligned and pulled out further than they were supposed to. Can't vouch more for Derrick's customer service throughout the whole ordeal and would still buy these leds again.

E-92 lighting
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918283
Give Derrick a holler! I did local pick up so I can't comment on shipping.

Last edited by emac08; 06-01-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

Just want to update and say I have had these for ~ 3.5 weeks now without any glitches!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

thanks for the support and awesome thread, we will link this thread to help with the installation process if you dont mind with our DTEC V7s
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
thanks for the support and awesome thread, we will link this thread to help with the installation process if you dont mind with our DTEC V7s
Of course man!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Just put these angel eye LEDS on my 09 M3 yesterday and the drivers side lasted about 5 minutes before it stopped working. Still waiting for a reply.

They did look good while they were working though.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep

a replacement was already shipped out with tracking
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
Just put these angel eye LEDS on my 09 M3 yesterday and the drivers side lasted about 5 minutes before it stopped working. Still waiting for a reply.

They did look good while they were working though.
Make sure you check the wiring. Mine shut off after install cuz it wasn't fully plugged in. Made sure the connection was solid and everything worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Villanofun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Unfortunately, I have had mine for a month and they have already malfunctioned:

That passenger lamp is incredibly dim; but the camera does it justice in this picture. This may provide a better frame of reference:

E92 Lighting is currently working very diligently to help resolve the matter. I will provide an update as things progress.

Last edited by Villanofun; 05-24-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

I also have to update this review.. the passenger side light is now dead. Even the stock h8 bulb does not work. Good thing about all this is Derrick has been pretty good with communication. My xenons still work on the passenger side. It is just everything else that the h8 led bulb lights up does not.
Once I figure out the exact problem, my thread will be updated again.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Villanofun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac08 View Post
I also have to update this review.. the passenger side light is now dead. Even the stock h8 bulb does not work. Good thing about all this is Derrick has been pretty good with communication. My xenons still work on the passenger side. It is just everything else that the h8 led bulb lights up does not.
Once I figure out the exact problem, my thread will be updated again.
Yes, this is the same problem I have experienced.

Same as you, Derrick has been very communicative and is trying to help solve the issue. Hopefully the new bulb/control unit (en route) will solve the problem permanently...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

I installed mine about 2 months ago. The passenger side lasted about 20 mins and then died. They did send me a new resistor pack and that fixed the problem, so I cant complain too much about that.

But, all of the advertisements claim 100% no codes and no flickering. These bulbs clearly flicker.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanofun View Post
Yes, this is the same problem I have experienced.

Same as you, Derrick has been very communicative and is trying to help solve the issue. Hopefully the new bulb/control unit (en route) will solve the problem permanently...
Quote:
I installed mine about 2 months ago. The passenger side lasted about 20 mins and then died. They did send me a new resistor pack and that fixed the problem, so I cant complain too much about that.

But, all of the advertisements claim 100% no codes and no flickering. These bulbs clearly flicker.
both of your issues are fully fixed and resolved, we made some changes in early april to our drivers, the OP has a very very unique case which we are trying to diligently fix, in the OP's case, the issue wasnt caused by our DTEC V7s, these are indeed 100% error free under normal conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:22 AM   #13
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
both of your issues are fully fixed and resolved, we made some changes in early april to our drivers, the OP has a very very unique case which we are trying to diligently fix, in the OP's case, the issue wasnt caused by our DTEC V7s, these are indeed 100% error free under normal conditions.

Yeah. Hopefully I just need an RMF (sp) reset. The passenger side bulb was actually replaced or fixed for me; however, what ever failed initially affected the car's h8 computer setting somehow or another (on the passenger side only) lol. Derrick is def helping me out on this one so A+ on customer service lol.

As far as the flickering goes... I never experienced anything like that
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #14
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac08 View Post

As far as the flickering goes... I never experienced anything like that
Watch them as you lock and unlock the car, they flicker.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will do this once my headlights are fixed

Until then, since this is a review thread... I think you should post a video here and I can link it to the top of this page showing the flicker so people can see what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #16
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you forgot to mention we resolved your issue in about 1-2 hours with no questions asked whatsoever, you also forgot to return our driver to us so we could fix and replace it, we believe you have another man's property.

Last edited by E92-Lighting; 05-28-2014 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #17
Villanofun
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I must tip my hat off to the customer service (Derrick) here. My replacement bulb came yesterday (5/27) after being shipped out on Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. Derrick instructed me exactly how to put in the bulb (yes, we all know it's a PITA) and what had gone wrong the first time.

For those who are curious, it seems as though the resistors may overheat if placed in the wrong location in the housing. Pursuant to Derrick's suggestion, I reinstalled both H8 bulbs such that the resistor (module) resides under the H8 bulb instead of near the leads and grounds in the top of the housing. Doing this requires some finesse and patience, but hopefully will prevent any issues in the future.

Again, a big thanks to the crew at E92-Lighting for promptly addressing and correcting my issue with the passenger side lamp. Hopefully everyone here has their problems resolved in a similar fashion.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

problem resolved~! see the update above.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep

thanks for the opportunity to work with you, we hope everything is finally resolved/fixed with a super solid connection, and we also hope you enjoy your Free upgrade to DTEC V9.5s, which is the evolution of DTEC V7s, here is a sample shot side by side!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #20
fredflinstone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Grey 335i Cab

Issue with on and off

So, i believe i am having a similar issue with my lights ... have emailed Derrek. I believe my lights are coming on and off and issuing a error code driving me nuts in the car.

It could be a heating issue, as described above, so i am hoping if i put the transformer under the light, maybe this will resolve???

do i have to unplug them to put the transformer under ... i hope not as that would be a royal PITA.

S
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
brianpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

A PM or email to Derrick would probably be more effective, which you've indicated you've sent off. I hope, in your case, that none of your wires have melted (I would be surprised if that happened). You really should have installed the unit in the bottom of the housing, like the instructions indicated. Yes, you will have to pull the bulb out to fit everything beneath it, but it's not THAT big of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #22
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Sounds like cheap Chinese parts. Sure customer service sounds great, but who has time or wants to have to take things apart multiple times.
Appreciate 0