E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > RWD + Snow Tires - City Parking Problems?

06-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
ddc9999
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

RWD + Snow Tires - City Parking Problems?

Hello All. I know the whole RWD + Snow tire or xdrive all seasons topic has been beat to death. There is one aspect of this topic that I haven't been able to find any info.

I don't doubt that a rwd beemer with snow tires can safely drive in the snow and slush. I've read it on many posts, and I've seen the you tube videos. What worries me though is how does this combination due with regards to trying to get moving from a stop?

I live in the NYC area, and when it snows here a lot of parking spots can be difficult to get in and out due to the spots being guarded by a snow mound. I'm sure many people who live in urban enviorments who lack a nicely shoveled garage can testify to this. This snow tends to stay on the ground until it melts too. So while I don't doubt a RWD + Snow tire combo once you get your car rolling on the streets, I do hesitate at the thought of constitantly spinning my tires as I get stuck in snow trying to get in and out of parking spots. This also involves parallel parking which is much harder to do then just getting a stuck car moving in an empty parking lot.

So what do you all think? RWD + Snow tires = City Parking Hell? Am I better off just going with the xdrive? My gf has a 325xi and her car does wonders getting in and out of said snowed in spots, but I would prefer a RWD car if I could get away with it.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

You will slide all over the place even with snow tires. The snow on the parking spots usually gets covered with ice. I almost damaged my rear quarter panel when I tried to get out and my rear end went sideways into a tree on sidewalk.

I see you're driving an Altima, FWD are a lot better at parallel parking in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Mendossa
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

In my experience, having driven a 330i and an RX-8 in Montreal's winter:

RWD + snow + snow tires + garage =
RWD + snow + snow tires + city parking =
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

Forget about it...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
Just get the xdrive, throw some deicated winters on, and you'll be unstoppable in the snow.

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

ground clearance is an issue too for high centering. My 335d stays in the garage but I do have winters for it and it drives great in the snow. Going through deep snow at speed it's a bit shakey and unstable which is where an AWD system would help a lot. Like other members said, those mounds get covered in ice and become tricky. our cars do have ELSD's that will allow your traction wheel to spin. It will take some creative driving and wise decision making but you can manage. however the awd would be ideal....keep in mind, how many days do we actually have snow that it would be a nuisance? how many days would u wish damn i wish my car were rwd...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

in terms of parking xi would be better. i never really had problems with my RWD and parking spaces, car got in and out easy. also might wanna consider ice-snow tires instead of high performance winter.

xi + high performance tires or rwd + ice/snow tires < those should be good combos for people that are concerned about snow.

^ was fun

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-27-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

I would do XI - two things that RWD will have a problem with are inclines and going over mounds. The rears literally have to push the car not only forward but up the mound. Unless you can get a running start or if you can always try reversing out of a parking spot - XI
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

It is a pain. A limited slip diff would help, but still won't be as good as the x. Or an Audi...
      06-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2 paur 2 aford kar :(

I might be in the minority here, but I think you'd be fine.

I live in NYC too and this past winters was one of the worst ones we've had yet. My 335i w/ blizzaks on dedicated snow wheels took it like a champ. I admit, I wasn't able to park in some open spaces covered with snow, but even on some unplowed parking spots I didn't have a problem. Infact, after putting on my blizzaks I never even once got stuck and had to shovel the car out.

RWD FTW

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
You will slide all over the place even with snow tires. The snow on the parking spots usually gets covered with ice. I almost damaged my rear quarter panel when I tried to get out and my rear end went sideways into a tree on sidewalk.

I see you're driving an Altima, FWD are a lot better at parallel parking in the snow.
+1

Not having 4 snows on a RWD is foolishness. But thinking one is invincible is also foolishness. Leave the BMW at home and take the FWD/AWD car when it snows. The most I've driven in is 9" with my 335i, no problems. But it's harder to get started than with a x-drive or a FWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
In my experience the biggest problem with the "snow mound parking spot" situation has been ground clearance. I run blizzaks and haven't had any traction issues, but I don't go for spots where my side skirts are going to get jacked by ice. I'm sure AWD would help winter parking in general, but it isnt going to make a 3 series into an explorer.
      06-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/OTW-Enterprise.../dp/B001LF6WNW

There are others I have seen that are metal and collapsible but this is all I could find for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkr335 View Post
In my experience the biggest problem with the "snow mound parking spot" situation has been ground clearance. I run blizzaks and haven't had any traction issues, but I don't go for spots where my side skirts are going to get jacked by ice. I'm sure AWD would help winter parking in general, but it isnt going to make a 3 series into an explorer.
it is higher....something between 335i and Explorer
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmcolor View Post
It is a pain. A limited slip diff would help, but still won't be as good as the x. Or an Audi...
Audi!!!!!

I use my Q5 when it snows, Bimmer stays in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louchie View Post

I live in NYC too and this past winters was one of the worst ones we've had yet. My 335i w/ blizzaks on dedicated snow wheels took it like a champ. I admit, I wasn't able to park in some open spaces covered with snow, but even on some unplowed parking spots I didn't have a problem. Infact, after putting on my blizzaks I never even once got stuck and had to shovel the car out.

RWD FTW
Nope, I agree with you!

Here's some picture food, RWD in snow. Dunlop WinterSport 3D's and 17" Rial Salerno rims. WinterSports are a better highway winter tire than a snow tire but they work damn well!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
pony_trekker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535 x drive

Doesn't make a difference - even an AWD bimmer gets hung up on the snow piles. Only a 4runner or other 4x4 can crush right through.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louchie View Post

RWD FTW
I drove my E36 M3 with snows on all 4 wheels for years parking on DC streets (no garage) with a job that required me to be in Annapolis every day from January through April, snow, ice, or whatever. The only time I ever had a problem was when EVERYBODY was having problems, in a few of DC's legendary ice storms. Otherwise, I got around about as well as people with front wheel AND four wheel drive. Parking wasn't an issue, except having to dig out spaces.
Appreciate 0