E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Burger Tuning Low Temperature Thermostat

07-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
hatton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Burger Tuning Low Temperature Thermostat

So first time post here as well as first time BMW owner. Bought a 2008 335i Coupe back on June 8th this year.
Anyways as I looking into mods and performance upgrades mainly the Burgertuning CAI, I came across this upgrade, so I thought I'd go ahead and let people know and wanted to set up the opportunity for people to post their experiences about the product. It's a Low Temperature Thermostat.

I emailed the guys at Burger Tuning to get a little more information on the product and this is what he said....

"The low temp thermostat will lower temps about 20-40 degree's on average. The turbo motors run hot by nature and the temp reductions are a welcome change to the motor. We have not done direct dyno testing with the thermostat as the variable but as you know cooler temps mean more power so you can expect to pick up some ponies on the upgrade.
The thermostat basically will leave the cooling mode open all the time which is no harm to the motor at all. The only difference you will notice as far as drive-ability is the car will take about an extra 2 minutes or about a mile of driving for the motor to get to warmer operating temps. So you just want to keep from stomping on it while cold, which is a general rule anyway."

Any viewers of this who have knowledge about how this works and what not feel free to add to the description of what exactly this does. I'll be talking to the people at BMS to see when exactly they'll get the Dyno test and results for it and will update asap.
Here's the Link:
http://www.burgertuning.com/low_temp...W_135_335.html
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I have it. It does work.
No need for dyno results, it doesn't noticeably increase power. It basically bypasses the oil thermostat so it's always flowing through the oil cooler at all times instead of waiting for the temps to get high first.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

It lowers oil temps, which is all its supposed to do. Just be sure to re bolt everything flush and tight, or you will have an oil geyser in your engine bay. Ask me how I know....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I just installed this a couple of days ago and did notice a 10-20C drop in oil temps in 70F ambients according to the oil temp gauge in the cluster.

However.....some other observations I made:

It does not take much longer at all to reach minimum oil temps at around 170F than before, but it does take quite a bit longer for oil temps to get into the 210F range.

I mention this because from what I understand, water and other combustion by-products end up in the crankcase and I think it's important that the water boils off and vaporizes at around 212F. So you would want your oil to eventually stabilize around that temperature.

After about 15 mins of cruising, my oil temps stabilized around 110C (230F) and pretty much stayed there in 75F ambients.

At night with 65F ambients it hung around 105C (221F) which is all good as far as I am concerned.

Today ambients hit 95F in my area and I was testing some meth nozzle changes and pulling a few datalogs. Spent about two hours on and off and oil temps held steady at 110C.

But on the cruise home - as I was taking it easy - I noticed that the open loop in the oil system finally seemed to hit a wall and was starting to heatsoak. Oil temps rose to 118C (244F) for the first time.

So overall I feel this is a great and cost effective mod, but I think that although it delays heatsoak in the oil system significantly, there seems to be a point where the system saturates in spite of the open loop to the oil cooler.

But this is after a couple of hours of driving in 90F ambients and even at heatsoak temps, it was still probably about 5F cooler than what the car used to run at on hot days.

Definitely worth it......but something I would remove in the winter for fear of oil temps not getting hot enough to vaporize water sitting in the crankcase.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
It lowers oil temps, which is all its supposed to do. Just be sure to re bolt everything flush and tight, or you will have an oil geyser in your engine bay. Ask me how I know....
Ok....how do you know?

I only ask because I noticed a bit of fluid dripping from under the oil filter housing and I suspect the bypass pin may have been preventing a tight seal on the thermostat housing.

The last half inch was a tight fit ......... and I am not boasting about my manhood here.

Once the bolts were tight, the two surfaces appeared to be flush and I do not see any oil dripping from the thermostat housing, so I may just have a leak at the oil filter housing gasket coincidentally.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
hatton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Just wondering where you guys are located that are using this mod. I'm in Indiana and Iowa so the winters get pretty cold up here and wondered if this mod would provide any problems with performance if it will take the engine longer to heat up in say -10F weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatton View Post
Just wondering where you guys are located that are using this mod. I'm in Indiana and Iowa so the winters get pretty cold up here and wondered if this mod would provide any problems with performance if it will take the engine longer to heat up in say -10F weather.
It's too bad that instead of an always open feature... we could just get a theromostat which opens a little earlier... like say at 200*F
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
You could always swap back to your OEM thermostat when cooler weather comes around.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Ok....how do you know?

I only ask because I noticed a bit of fluid dripping from under the oil filter housing and I suspect the bypass pin may have been preventing a tight seal on the thermostat housing.

The last half inch was a tight fit ......... and I am not boasting about my manhood here.

Once the bolts were tight, the two surfaces appeared to be flush and I do not see any oil dripping from the thermostat housing, so I may just have a leak at the oil filter housing gasket coincidentally.
It was probably 4 months ago I did this.The bolt that connects the cooler to the filter housing had never been moved in 4 years, so when I took it out it pulled along a little metal and crap with it. It didn't thread perfectly and the last 1/100 of an inch didn't thread, I figured and turned the motor over. Maybe 3 seconds of the motor actually running, it vomited out nearly 3 quarts of oil. Obviously it was shut down asap, oil was drained and a new fill was done. That, and alot of degreaser and cleaning in the engine bay. I was
Quote:
Yank it out in the winter.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
It was probably 4 months ago I did this.The bolt that connects the cooler to the filter housing had never been moved in 4 years, so when I took it out it pulled along a little metal and crap with it. It didn't thread perfectly and the last 1/100 of an inch didn't thread, I figured and turned the motor over. Maybe 3 seconds of the motor actually running, it vomited out nearly 3 quarts of oil. Obviously it was shut down asap, oil was drained and a new fill was done. That, and alot of degreaser and cleaning in the engine bay. I was
Lol.....do you mean that single torx bolt that holds the assembly to the oil filter housing? (ie not the two smaller thermostat cover screws but the larger bolt that you have to take off in order to be able to pull the thermo cover off?)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Lol.....do you mean that single torx bolt that holds the assembly to the oil filter housing? (ie not the two smaller thermostat cover screws but the larger bolt that you have to take off in order to be able to pull the thermo cover off?)
Lol yup. It was such a fail, just because I was lazy

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0