F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Help Identifying problem..
Studio RSR

05-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Help Identifying problem..

The front end on my '01 530i is feeling a bit loose.
When I let go of the wheel it will pull a little to the left or a little to the right, depending on what it wants to do.
Holding the wheel steady in a turn, I have to correct a little bit even though I judged the turn perfectly. It's as if the wheels are moving/changing angle while in the turn. (Reference.. on turns like in this pic.)

The pull is unpredictable, I have to sit there and constantly let go then correct the wheel again to try and get it to go in a straight line on its own. In most cars to me it is stiff and apparent where this sweet spot is. (Dead center of course) Today I let go and it drifted a little bit to the right, and then quickly drifted faster to the right a few seconds in out of nowhere.

After accelerating to around 45mph the steering wheel will also start to shake left and right fairly fast like as if going over a ton of bumps, but then goes away after a short bit.

It started up about a week or so ago and I haven't hit anything to my knowledge, I figured it might go away after a little while.. -___- The only thing I can think of that might affect the front end is for the past two months I've been having to drive over a long 2x4 in my driveway. Its angled diagonally in the driveway so all of the wheels go over it at a different time..

Do you think the simple solution is just an alignment, or could it be something else??

-Nathan

Last edited by Expired; 05-07-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Sounds like front control arm bushings need to be replaced.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm View Post
Sounds like front control arm bushings need to be replaced.
Hmm.. that would make sense, the car is at around 51k Miles..
http://www.understeer.com/lcab.shtml

Thanks for the help!!
If anyone else has any opinions on what the problem could be, I'm open for suggestions. However, I think that Richwm hit the nail on the head.
An estimate of the cost to repair it would be much appreciated as well.

-Nathan
      05-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
Hmm.. that would make sense, the car is at around 51k Miles..
http://www.understeer.com/lcab.shtml

Thanks for the help!!
If anyone else has any opinions on what the problem could be, I'm open for suggestions. However, I think that Richwm hit the nail on the head.
An estimate of the cost to repair it would be much appreciated as well.

-Nathan
My local shop charges about $300. My dealership said $1100 and I walked away. The last set I did myself but next time I will pay the $300.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0