F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > SOLVED: How to use large capacity USB Flash Drive for your audio collection
ARMA SPEED

11-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

SOLVED: How to use large capacity USB Flash Drive for your audio collection

Hello all,

I always wanted to use a flash drive as my main audio source instead of connecting my iPod or phone on the USB input. I wanted to eliminate any temptations from all kind of curious individuals that peak inside my vehicle, and not worry to connect, disconnect, forget the phone in the car, etc.

These days, you can get USB flash drives no bigger than a thumb that will easily offer you 64Gb or larger capacity, which will allow to take in your vehicle a lot more albums, or maybe even your whole collection.

There were however many complaints from the users that BMW does not accept flash drives (or thumb/stick drives) that are bigger than 32Gb. The explanation is that if you go to a 64GB or a bigger USB stick, then it will likely be formatted as exFAT or NTFS which the car does not currently recognize. Most 64GB sticks cannot be formatted as normal FAT32 because they do not support variable sector/cluster sizes. The FAT32 it is more common for many devices, and our case is no exception.

Windows operating system offers only exFAT or NTFS formats for drives that are bigger than 32Gb.
So I found on internet a software that will allow you to format any drive in a FAT32 format fast and easy. Just download the link and run the software. It is very easy, even for the ones that are not very familiar with a software. Pick the drive, select the format and after you are ready, just copy and paste your songs.

Big thanks to this guy that made it possible, I wish I could offer him a beer!

The sugestive picture attached was taken from BMW website.

I hope it is valuable for you, as it is for me. Happy listening!

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
I35it
all day
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2004 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2009 VW GTI  [0.00]