E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > e90 adaptive ECU questions

03-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Speedracer07
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 135i (N55)

e90 adaptive ECU questions

Hey all,

I've tried searching "adaptive ecu" but did'nt find any info so if anyone knows a better search string please let me know.

Basically I understand that the ECU in our car's adapts to your driving style and if you push the car you will end up with more power than if you baby it.

What I want to know is do I understand this correctly? if yes then how does it adapt and what steps are needed to maximize your power? ie if you did 5-10 redline run's would that be enough to get you max power? how often would you have to do that to get power.

the genesis of my question is that I saw increasing gain's when I was on the dyno after each subsequent run... I had thought I had been pushing the car before that driving around town but clearly it was'nt enough.

Also I wonder if that is one reason why Map3 on the BMS powerbox shows gains because the throttle mapping is more agressive the car thinks you are pushing harder than you are (as if you were flooring the pedal at each light) and therefore gives you more power....

anybody know of any info on the web about this?

thx

R
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
You always have the same power. The car only really adapts to your throttle input. If you have a lead foot it will be more sensitive. You don't get more power if you floor the throttle all the time...same goes for if you light on the pedal.
Appreciate 0