BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #23
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
No. 125i is rated at about 200hp while the 128 is rated at 230hp, thats why the 125i gets bigger gains, because it has less power in the first place. You'll get both to about 260hp with a good tune(and the DISA manifold swap on the 128i).
You're talking about the n52 that doesn't already have the DISA manifold like the N51? Just checking to make sure I haven't missed something awesome. =O
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #24
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I put on ~15 miles right after I installed the tune last night and then another ~25 on my drive to work this morning. I'm being very mindful of placebo within the new tune 15-mile break-in period, so I'm essentially writing off the drive from last night. Regardless, I think the biggest changes are more noticeable during my morning drive -- the same drive that I make every day. Power is more readily available at all RPM ranges and the power delivery is a lot smoother. It's definitely not a major ~50bhp change but it's very noticeable and the overall responsiveness seems greatly improved.

Commuting in Seattle is a frustrating and often a miserable experience, but this morning was actually fun! Coming down the I-5 on-ramp in 2-4 gear, full throttle, the torque seemed to have been kicked up, especially at ~3500 RPM when the DISA valves opened. On I-5 through downtown Seattle, maneuvering in/around slow idiots, 3-6 gear was simply far more responsive. And once I finally got out of traffic, the increased power while cruising at 72 MPH in 6th gear and letting on the throttle was *way* more noticeable. The car now immediately gains speed to the point that I didn't have to downshift to quickly pass cars.

It seems like the power delivery has changed enough that my normal speed and shifting had to be readjusted. It simply pulls harder, pulls easier, and there's more available power at all times now. Actually, for the first time in quite a while I'm wanting to simply drive for the sheer enjoyment of driving!

*Edit*

Story time! When I first started uploading the tune last night, the Evolve program began deleting the existing ECU and writing the new file. It almost immediately failed and displayed errors about the connection timing out, about the security keys not matching, and a few other things. Bricks were shat as the interior lights all turned on and the dash console was constantly chiming with the service alert. I turned the car off, reseated the ODB-II cable, and restarted the process -- with great success this time around.

Last edited by harrytruman; 01-31-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #25
328papaya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi N51 ZSP

Thanks for the great write up and your efforts to push the tune to happen. As a N51er, I owe you one.
From what you have described, it seems the output curve fit the dyno result posted for 125i, a uniform gain over the whole range. How's the dead pedal and the engine brake feeling at low gears? That's what bothering me the most with my 328 N51.
And the smoothness of engine, do you feel any change?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Good to see something for the N51 guys. It will be fascinating to see where they end up compared to the N52.
      01-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #27
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328papaya View Post
Thanks for the great write up and your efforts to push the tune to happen. As a N51er, I owe you one.
From what you have described, it seems the output curve fit the dyno result posted for 125i, a uniform gain over the whole range. How's the dead pedal and the engine brake feeling at low gears? That's what bothering me the most with my 328 N51.
And the smoothness of engine, do you feel any change?
I was trying to give the impression that the entire power band had been given a nice increase and that the power comes quicker and smoother. The engine is definitely much smoother as you open the throttle. I had a friend with me last night and he said that he felt the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #28
328papaya
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrytruman View Post
I was trying to give the impression that the entire power band had been given a nice increase and that the power comes quicker and smoother. The engine is definitely much smoother as you open the throttle. I had a friend with me last night and he said that he felt the same thing.
I should mention that I had a 2006 330xi (new) for a year before I switched to a Audi B5 S4 (2002) , then finally gave up 100k miles after annoying by all the oil leaking, secondary water pump problem, also the life of turbo.
The 330i was zero mod, the biggest difference between that and my 328xi (2011 CPO) is from dead start, 328 is not as ready, then after 3000 rpm above (up to 3rd gear), both will feel the same. From what you stated, looks I can expect the tuned 328 N51 will be very closed to 330.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #29
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
I put on ~15 miles right after I installed the tune last night and then another ~25 on my drive to work this morning. I'm being very mindful of placebo within the new tune 15-mile break-in period, so I'm essentially writing off the drive from last night. Regardless, I think the biggest changes are more noticeable during my morning drive -- the same drive that I make every day. Power is more readily available at all RPM ranges and the power delivery is a lot smoother. It's definitely not a major ~50bhp change but it's very noticeable and the overall responsiveness seems greatly improved.

Commuting in Seattle is a frustrating and often a miserable experience, but this morning was actually fun! Coming down the I-5 on-ramp in 2-4 gear, full throttle, the torque seemed to have been kicked up, especially at ~3500 RPM when the DISA valves opened. On I-5 through downtown Seattle, maneuvering in/around slow idiots, 3-6 gear was simply far more responsive. And once I finally got out of traffic, the increased power while cruising at 72 MPH in 6th gear and letting on the throttle was *way* more noticeable. The car now immediately gains speed to the point that I didn't have to downshift to quickly pass cars.

It seems like the power delivery has changed enough that my normal speed and shifting had to be readjusted. It simply pulls harder, pulls easier, and there's more available power at all times now. Actually, for the first time in quite a while I'm wanting to simply drive for the sheer enjoyment of driving!

*Edit*

Story time! When I first started uploading the tune last night, the Evolve program began deleting the existing ECU and writing the new file. It almost immediately failed and displayed errors about the connection timing out, about the security keys not matching, and a few other things. Bricks were shat as the interior lights all turned on and the dash console was constantly chiming with the service alert. I turned the car off, reseated the ODB-II cable, and restarted the process -- with great success this time around.
Thanks for sharing again! I share your pain about the Seattle traffic for commuting. I drive across the 520 bridge every day and it's just terrible. Some other cities might have a lot of idiot drivers but Seattle seems to have all the slow idiot drivers.

Anyway, does anyone know theoretically what kind of HP difference there is between 10:1 compression vs 10.7:1 engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #30
328papaya
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Thanks for sharing again! I share your pain about the Seattle traffic for commuting. I drive across the 520 bridge every day and it's just terrible. Some other cities might have a lot of idiot drivers but Seattle seems to have all the slow idiot drivers.

Anyway, does anyone know theoretically what kind of HP difference there is between 10:1 compression vs 10.7:1 engine?
there was some post said 2.5%, but consider that evolve on 330 also give another 5+ hp gain, so if the 2.5 is true, and if the DISA controller is exactly the same (I read from somewhere that it was also tuned down to smooth out the curve), then the tuned N51 shall be same N52 high output. though all just in hypothesis.

Last edited by 328papaya; 01-31-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #31
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
there was some post said 2.5%, but consider that evolve on 330 also give another 5+ hp gain, so if the 2.5 is true, and if the DISA controller is exactly the same (I read from somewhere that it was also tuned down to smooth out the curve), then the tuned N51 shall be same N52 high output. though all just in hypothesis.
Man, I sure hope the gains are that significant. I've been talking today with Imran about scheduling a dyno date. We're close to pinning down an exact date. So we'll find out soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Seattle drivers are just #@&%ing stupid. Nobody cares about getting anywhere at a reasonable pace, nobody uses cruise control, but the worst is that nobody pays attention to anything going on in front of them or around them.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #32
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Seattle drivers are just #@&%ing stupid. Nobody cares about getting anywhere at a reasonable pace, nobody uses cruise control, but the worst is that nobody pays attention to anything going on in front of them or around them.
I found the last time I was in Washington state, there was a speed limit, and that is the speed everyone went. It was one of the weirdest experiences of my life.

I just got in the left lane and cruised past everything like the east coaster I apparently am.
      02-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #33
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.. It's the primary reason why I moved North out of the area..

Can't stand driving in Seattle. It's truly, beyond words terrible..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #34
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Thanks for the feedback so far. The changes we have made are on par with the 125i's we do over here so will be interesting to see what the dyno says. :-)

From your feedback it seems there is a noticeable gain from driving which their should be.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #35
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve
Thanks for the feedback so far. The changes we have made are on par with the 125i's we do over here so will be interesting to see what the dyno says. :-)

From your feedback it seems there is a noticeable gain from driving which their should be.
Yep, and my weekend driving gave me a better feel for the changes, although it's basically still what we've already mentioned. There's a nice amount of power gained through the entire RPM range and the power delivery has even smoothed out quite noticeably. The extra torque isn't massive but it's very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #36
328papaya
United_States
Rep

Dyno!dyno!dyno!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #37
328papaya
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, and my weekend driving gave me a better feel for the changes, although it's basically still what we've already mentioned. There's a nice amount of power gained through the entire RPM range and the power delivery has even smoothed out quite noticeably. The extra torque isn't massive but it's very noticeable.
Hows the MPG so far?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #38
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I would imagine he's had a heavy foot since the install
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #39
328papaya
United_States
Rep

Hi Imran,

are you close to the official release?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #40
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
Hi Imran,

are you close to the official release?
Awaiting dyno graphs before we release.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #41
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hows the MPG so far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
I would imagine he's had a heavy foot since the install
MPG is about the same as I was getting before. I have a ~50 mile daily commute and I'm averaging 22 MPG for the whole trip, 30 MPG for 75mph on level roads.

Also, I got the green light from Imran to schedule the dyno date. I'll be doing that in the next day or two.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #42
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Confirmed with Imran and Carburetor Connection in Kirkland. The dyno day is March 11!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Nice. Please keep us updated! I'm pretty excited about what kind of gains this gets. Based on the result, I'm strongly considering getting supersprint headers along with the evolve tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #44
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
patiently waiting, the n51 is getting alot of attention ( evolve, vishnu OFT) and would love to see the cruve.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0