E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Babies and Convertibles

05-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Babies and Convertibles

I've been lurking on the forum for a while now so hello to one and all. As the title would suggest I have recently had my first child, a beautiful baby girl called Bethany and I own a 3 series convertible.

I use the E91 estate for day to day purposes and at the weekends I have a E46 convertible that I had been using until the little one came along.

The question is when would be the earliest time to put her in the convertible given that she would be on the back seat? We use a maxi cosy pebble seat which fixes to the isofix points and she's two and a half months old now.

I was thinking it would be ok to put an almost see through blanket over the seat and then put the vented breathable rain cover over that to keep the sun off of her face and the wind from making her cold. She's able to hold her head up and is weighing over 12lbs now so has grown and to me seems ok.

Any thoughts as to whether you think this is ok or a complete no no would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I was in the same boat. My daughter is 5 months old. I sold the convertible not solely for this reason but it did cross my mind. Its just the vulnerability of the whole scenario that used to bother me. Another thing to bear in mind is i dont think car seats are designed for protecting babies if the car was to turn over.

Just my 2p.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:05 AM   #3
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I got hit on the top of the head last night in ours, probably just a bee or something, but felt like a stone!!
It has left me with a nasty lump, and if it had been a couple of inches over would have been my eye.

I just don't think I would want to put a baby in the back with the hood down full stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Ok thanks guys. That was my initial thought but thought I'd ask for a second opinion. It'll just be used for me this year and perhaps for everyone next year
Appreciate 0