E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > NEED HELP, MAKING DECISION THIS WEEK!! Please!!

11-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
BoostGetsULaid
Live Life To The Fullest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Exclamation NEED HELP, MAKING DECISION THIS WEEK!! Please!!

Hello everyone! Long time no see. Lemme first catch everyone up on everything... I had a Space Gray Metallic 335i. It got really expensive ($485/mo. pmt., sunroof went to crap, needed new tires within 4 months of having it. my fault for not checking, waste gate rattling). ...
So I have been "sharing" my dad's 2011 E90 328i for the past half year. Saving my money and getting ready for another car with a comfy pmt that I can pay without burning a hole in my pocket every month. (I am a 22yr. student)...

So I have been on the search, and I can't get over how fun the 335i was, so I have been looking for one I can afford.

My buddy has a dealership and just got a blue 335i a couple weeks ago. He is selling it to me for $17,600. after everything my pmts will be $330/month, which is perfect for me. He is also throwing a 3month warranty on top of it so I can feel safe about the purchase. And the car has been inspected through EuroSport, a respected Bimmer tuner. Has brand new tires on it!

HERES THE CATCH: 122k miles on it! ... BUT its drives PERFECT! all highway miles. It actually drives better than my old 335i. It is in such good condition my friend or mom that i took couldn't believe it had that many miles on it. They thought it had 30k miles at the most.

So what do you guys think? Should I pull the trigger and join this awesome forum again, or just look for a cheaper other car that isn't near half as enjoyable. I know 122k miles is a lot of miles, but seriously this car is in immaculate shape. Should I just not let the miles get to me and enjoy it?!
Anyone with 100k+ miles please chime in.

Link is here: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Thank you for everyone's support, This is by far my most favorite forum to be on. Everyone is so helpful and nice.
      11-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
MPower10s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Garage List
thats alottttttt of miles
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
cderr14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 e90

Nice color combo. But that is a lot of miles for a forced ind. car. You may have found your desired monthly payment. but what happens when some real service issues pop up? Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
BoostGetsULaid
Live Life To The Fullest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I am so nervous, The service issues are bothering me, Do you think I should get a full extended warranty. He is my friend and has good connections with that sort of stuff.
      11-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
jasonX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 335is 6MT

It really appears that you can't afford this car if you are this distraught over potential maintenance, and only being able to afford the vehicle with north of 100k miles.

The intelligent thing to do would be look at a different manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
darebornsolja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 [yezy]

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I agree with Jason, if major service comes up the look to spend easily over 1,000 if not more. You can still get a good looking car for that price.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonX View Post
It really appears that you can't afford this car if you are this distraught over potential maintenance, and only being able to afford the vehicle with north of 100k miles.

The intelligent thing to do would be look at a different manufacturer.

^Yep...

Have you looked at the Kia Rio?

http://www.kia.com/#/rio/explore/

All jokes aside...if you can't afford it...you probably shouldn't own it. 122k miles in insane. If you're worried now...picture when your turbos blow...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
irishbloke
Rep
Drives: 2012 335xi Coupe

Where to start...

1. You can't afford to PURCHASE a late series BMW. Period. Lease a newer one for 400-500 dollars. Its very doable.
2. 122k miles for 17K on a 2007 bmw 335i... That is a moronic deal.
3. Thats not your buddy. You are confused. That is a sales person.

Take a step back and realize what you are doing - you are looking for a certain price and then finding the car to fit. You have completely abstracted everything away expect for monthly payment and the vehicle - this is exactly what dealership sales agents prey upon - thats why I say point #3 above. In other words if you want a 335i one could get theoretically a 12 year loan with the payment you want and the mileage and condition you want.

My Advice? Based on the info I have in front of me: You are incapable of making a financially sound and enjoyable decision for yourself - do not be offended as there is no shame in this. Find someone will can negotiate for you and pay them $200-$500 bucks to find and negotiate the right car for you.

The only price you should be paying for a 2007 BMW 335i should be 20K or less. Mileage 85K or under.

my two rough cents

EDIT: All highway miles..... hey i know a girl - she is all hooker miles. Clean in and out immaculate as can be. Good deal for you..... Makes sense?
So lets do the math. 122,000 miles over 5 years. Thats 25K miles a year. Thats 2080 miles a month. Thats 100 miles for a 22 business day month. That means the previous driver drove for 1.15 hours each way everyday (2.5 hours in the car). Guarrentee the drive sat in plenty of traffic with that sort of commute which is as bad as "city miles". In short unless the driver was taking east coast trips twice a month this is likely a raped car.

Last edited by irishbloke; 11-18-2011 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

If you are that worried about repairs at least try to get a cpo. You should be able to get a 328. A car you can't pay to repair you cant pay to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Thats a "buddy"? LOL i bet he bought that car for about $14-$15k at auction.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbloke View Post
Where to start...

1. You can't afford to PURCHASE a late series BMW. Period. Lease a newer one for 400-500 dollars. Its very doable.
2. 122k miles for 17K on a 2007 bmw 335i... That is a moronic deal.
3. Thats not your buddy. You are confused. That is a sales person.

Take a step back and realize what you are doing - you are looking for a certain price and then finding the car to fit. You have completely abstracted everything away expect for monthly payment and the vehicle - this is exactly what dealership sales agents prey upon - thats why I say point #3 above. In other words if you want a 335i one could get theoretically a 12 year loan with the payment you want and the mileage and condition you want.

My Advice? Based on the info I have in front of me: You are incapable of making a financially sound and enjoyable decision for yourself - do not be offended as there is no shame in this. Find someone will can negotiate for you and pay them $200-$500 bucks to find and negotiate the right car for you.

The only price you should be paying for a 2007 BMW 335i should be 20K or less. Mileage 85K or under.

my two rough cents

EDIT: All highway miles..... hey i know a girl - she is all hooker miles. Clean in and out immaculate as can be. Good deal for you..... Makes sense?
So lets do the math. 122,000 miles over 5 years. Thats 25K miles a year. Thats 2080 miles a month. Thats 100 miles for a 22 business day month. That means the previous driver drove for 1.15 hours each way everyday (2.5 hours in the car). Guarrentee the drive sat in plenty of traffic with that sort of commute which is as bad as "city miles". In short unless the driver was taking east coast trips twice a month this is likely a raped car.
+1. To buy this car, is risking financial ruin. You will not be able to afford even minor repairs. If something goes wrong, you will not able to sell it to break even. If you wind up in this scenario, you will not likely keep paying a car note on a car you cannot drive.

If it's repossessed by the bank, it will be auctioned off for pennies on the dollar because it needs repairs. So not only do you have a repo on your credit, you will most likely be sued for the remainder owed on your line, which will also damage your credit (judgment). That will remain on your credit for up to 10 years. Everything will cost more--loans, auto insurance, even rent.

That's too much risk.

If you can afford to lease the vehicle. Then do that. If the monthly payment is too high, then I'd suggest saving up until you can put down a hefty down payment to bring your lease payments down to where you're comfortable with it.

Lastly, I don't recommend buying a Bimmer out of warranty. Getting vehicle service contracts for out of warranty cars can be a hassle. Most likely, you will have to pay for an inspection. Secondly, you will pay way more for a vehicle service contract for a BMW out of warranty vs one that still under the original warranty. Try to find one where the warranty is just about to expire (Meaning a '08 Model Year with less than 50K miles).

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostGetsULaid View Post
HERES THE CATCH: 122k miles on it! ... BUT its drives PERFECT! all highway miles.
... Should I pull the trigger
heck no
Appreciate 0