F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Milestone: Exports over 1 million vehicles from Spartanburg
GetBMWParts

04-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Milestone: Exports over 1 million vehicles from Spartanburg

BMW Manufacturing Announces New Milestone: Exports over One Million Vehicles in first 15 years of South Carolina Plant

Spartanburg, S.C. – April 7, 2010… Since announcing its arrival in South Carolina in 1992, BMW Manufacturing announced today that it has surpassed the export of over one million vehicles, 85% of which have gone through the Port of Charleston. Currently, over 70% of the vehicles produced in Spartanburg are exported to over 120 worldwide markets.

In 2009, BMW commemorated its 15 year anniversary and the production of 1.5 million vehicles. As BMW's only U.S. manufacturing facility, the plant has maintained its commitment to the future of South Carolina by continuing its long-standing partnership with the South Carolina State Ports Authority.

“Our plant continues to be a highly sustainable resource within the BMW Group. The vehicles we produce are driven around the globe and we recognize the vital partnerships we have that enable us to reach our customers everywhere they are. The Port of Charleston continues to efficiently serve our needs to meet ever-changing market demands and they will continue to be a key port for BMW in the future,” said Josef Kerscher, President of BMW Manufacturing.

“We deeply appreciate the strong working relationship we have with BMW,” stated Jim Newsome, President & CEO of the South Carolina State Ports Authority. “Collaborating with BMW to sustain their economic viability for South Carolina is very important to us.”

Through 2009, BMW has invested over $4 billion in South Carolina and employs about 5,000 people at the plant. According to the University of South Carolina’s Moore School of Business, who conducted an economic impact study on the plant in 2008, the factory supports 23,050 jobs and generates $1.2 billion in wages and salaries annually within the state. The plant began production of BMW’s first full-hybrid vehicle, the BMW ActiveHybrid X6, in October 2009 and its $750 million expansion to build the next generation BMW X3 is nearly complete.

Name:  spartanburg.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  104.1 KB
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

That is amazing. I was at the Spartanburg plant about 2 months ago and got to see the manufacturing process from start to finish from inside the plant (not the guided tour, let's just say I had connections ).

It is an amazing assembly line.
      04-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

awesome - I want the special tour
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
awesome - I want the special tour

Even the public tour is cool. Youre jaw will be on the floor. The plant is spotless and the protocol is very tight. There is also a huge digital counter down the main hallway that shows what number car is being built, it ticks every time a car rolls off the line. At full output that plant produces about 340 cars a shift. And there are 3 shifts.
      04-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

What I like the most was the sense of care the workers had for assembling the vehicles.

You really got the feeling they felt that they owned the car (SUV) and they treated it like it was theirs

It really made me appreciate my car more
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

very good! keep them going
Appreciate 0