F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Have the BMW racing/M stripe colors ever been changed?
GetBMWParts

05-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Have the BMW racing/M stripe colors ever been changed?

This is probably a really stupid question, but I look at lots of vintage BMW race cars and notice the light blue/dark purpley-blue/orangish-red stripes:

But the M logo and current race car stripe colors do not look the same. The dark blue seems more of a regular navy without much of a hint of purple, and the red seems more of a pure red without a hint of the orange that I see in earlier cars. Is it a case of paint getting faded and/or the graphics team trying to get a "weathered" color look to the stripes? Or were the colors actually different at one point?

I'm aware of the whole blue + Castrol red = purple story or whatever but, sometimes the purple doesn't look purpleish at all, and sometimes the red looks more orange.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

I'm sure they have been "refined" over the years, but it has always been blue, purple and red.

The blue represents Bavaria, the red (used to) represent BMW Motorsports partnership with Texaco, and the purple is the merging of both. (red+blue=purple).